RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Perez went 3 innings, 3 hits, 2 walks, 1 K, 1 HR, 2 ERs

They made the right decision.

• Like 1

Lynn with a decent recap of personnel woes, including

Among players taken since 2005 in the first five rounds who never panned out: Ronnie Bourquin, Cale Iorg, Wade Gaynor, Jeff Larish, Austin Schotts, Daniel Fields, Aaron Westlake, with another first-rounder, Derek Hill, appearing as if he, too, might miss the big leagues.

Willy Adames, a shortstop who has a chance to become a top-tier talent with the Rays, was dealt four years ago in the Tigers’ bid for David Price. Eugenio Suarez, the Reds shortstop who just made the National League All-Star team, was Detroit’s offer for a lamentable one-year starter, Alfredo Simon. Devon Travis has been hurt almost annually with the Blue Jays, but he brandished a beautiful bat when healthy and could have been the Tigers’ answer at second base had he not been dealt four years ago for Anthony Gose. Avisail Garcia last year made the All-Star Game after he was shipped to the White Sox in 2013 for Jose Iglesias.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/07/10/detroit-tigers-hunting-bats-during-minor-league-rebuild/773709002/

28 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Lynn with a decent recap of personnel woes, including

Among players taken since 2005 in the first five rounds who never panned out: Ronnie Bourquin, Cale Iorg, Wade Gaynor, Jeff Larish, Austin Schotts, Daniel Fields, Aaron Westlake, with another first-rounder, Derek Hill, appearing as if he, too, might miss the big leagues.

Willy Adames, a shortstop who has a chance to become a top-tier talent with the Rays, was dealt four years ago in the Tigers’ bid for David Price. Eugenio Suarez, the Reds shortstop who just made the National League All-Star team, was Detroit’s offer for a lamentable one-year starter, Alfredo Simon. Devon Travis has been hurt almost annually with the Blue Jays, but he brandished a beautiful bat when healthy and could have been the Tigers’ answer at second base had he not been dealt four years ago for Anthony Gose. Avisail Garcia last year made the All-Star Game after he was shipped to the White Sox in 2013 for Jose Iglesias.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/07/10/detroit-tigers-hunting-bats-during-minor-league-rebuild/773709002/

He's still fixated on Adames.    I'm not impressed.  And Travis has been far from a debacle for us,  if he could stay healthy it might be different but reality.

DSL Tigers2 won their game 3-0.  Good that they had a shutout, because they had 4 runners caught stealing and 3 runners picked off.

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Wenceel 4-4, BB, 2b, 2 RBIs, 4 Rs

Slashing .357/.451/.529 so far with 12 BBs and 13 Ks.

Juan Aguillera, age 21, was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Tigers in June.  He pitched 3 scoreless innings for the GCL Tigers East today.  He has now had 5 appearances while allowing 1 hit and zero runs in 10 innings.  Avg against is .033 and whip is .70 with 6BB and 15Ks.

Manning's second start for Lakeland is in the books:

5 IP, 2 ER, 4 H, 3 BB, and 5 Ks.

1 minute ago, irvink said:

he had a good April, a horrible May, a good June, but in 16 games since the All Star break he is slashing 382/438/655/1092 with more HRs (5) than Ks (4).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Garcia sucks. 

Iglesias > Garcia

Nick Ames stomped into Dodd Field in Norwich CT tonight and launched a mofo out of there, just in case there is anybody out there who still thinks that he is just kidding around.  2 for 4, double and home run .

Rey Rivera smiled and went 1 for 4 with a walk at West Michigan - and stole a base!  Which is pretty impressive for a guy who is 9 feet tall and weighs 450 pounds.

When was the last time that I was interested in kiddie first basemen in the minor league system?  Uh, never.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

Nick Ames stomped into Dodd Field in Norwich CT tonight and launched a mofo out of there, just in case there is anybody out there who still thinks that he is just kidding around.  2 for 4, double and home run .

Rey Rivera smiled and went 1 for 4 with a walk at West Michigan - and stole a base!  Which is pretty impressive for a guy who is 9 feet tall and weighs 450 pounds.

When was the last time that I was interested in kiddie first basemen in the minor league system?  Uh, never.

Deatherage in a tailspin though, only a hit and a walk to show for tonight

6 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Probably back when Ryan Strieby and Chris Carlson were torching the lowest levels of the minors. 😀

• Like 1

I actually liked Henning's article, but there are some flaws...

For one, yes, Adames was traded away, but still Boyd and Norris are around to show for him. Yes, they haven't panned out yet, but I think that is important.  Just like Leyba -> Greene or Garcia->Iglesias.

One of the biggest falacies out there is the thought that teams should hold onto their prospects and whatever they get in return for those prospects for whatever reason doesn't get counted as a win for the farm.

In the long run it helped that Simon sucked so bad, we ended up finishing two games from the 11th spot which would've meant we would've lost our first round pick that year which ended up being Manning.   

Stretching a bit but maybe if we don't trade for him we don't have Manning right now.

Oh yeah me too, in fact outside of Mize I may take Suarez over anybody in the entire system including guys on the main roster.  

19 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Garcia for Iglesias was a fair to good trade.

Yeah, I don’t think there is much argument there. 

Although, I still think that DD May have panicked a bit when he dealt Garcia to get Iglesias when Peralta was about to be suspended, not to mention helping out the Red Sox in the process. Part of this was because of the “logjam” of outfield prospects Garcia and castellanos. And then castellanos moved back to 3b a few months later.

And then the presence of Iglesias pushed DD into basically giving away Suarez because Iglesias was returning from his shin splints. 

So, in hindsight, I would have preferred that they didn’t trade Garcia for Iglesias. 

Yeah - we've had this conversation before, but committing to Castellanos and Iglesias 5 years ago impacted their subsequent moves, and they did not work out, by and large.

Wasn't the Garcia-Fielder's wife affair a huge factor in Garcia being dealt?  Is that all just a myth, or did it actually happen?

Suarez as a 3B is fine by me, but you can keep him as a SS.   DD certainly didn't need to give him away like he did.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah - we've had this conversation before, but committing to Castellanos and Iglesias 5 years ago impacted their subsequent moves, and they did not work out, by and large.

And given how castellanos worked out as a third basemen, they could have just stuck with him as an outfielder and used Suarez at third, even with Iglesias.