RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

22 hours ago, Oblong said:

I believe an old HS teammate of mine, a few years older, is the principal at that HS.... I am going to confirm with him.  

Tarik Skubal did indeed go to this school and is in fact the best friend of this guy's son.  Would be cool to see him at West Michigan.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

FWIW Emily Waldon reported that Faedo was sitting in the low 90s in his last start, whether low 90s meant 90-91 or 92-93 I don't know but it's definitely a move in the right direction seeing as reports were that he wasn't even topping 90 earlier in the season. 

He was 90-92 last night and bumped 93; a slight improvement over other recent starts, but still down from even last year in college.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Thanks.

Do you have any thoughts / ideas about the velocity drop that you could share?

One of the things I've been meaning to do is go back and look at some games from before the run up to the CWS last year...where was he sitting then? I simply don't recall and would need to look. There's a reasonable chance that expectations for velocity were elevated (slightly, but still elevated) based on the 92-94, t95/96 he was showing in the CWS. That could have been fueled by the moment.

In my experience, it's not terribly uncommon for guys to lose a little velo moving to a pro routine (pitching every five days, rather than once per week), and most adjust and gain at least most of it back. If Faedo does that, then all is good. My concern isn't so much focused on the velo loss in and of itself, but the velo loss and his general fringe athleticism....I'm not sure he's as likely to regain velocity as other pitchers may be.

I haven't seen anything official on Kelvin Smith signing. The general assumption is he is signing, but any reports on that to date are based only on his Twitter bio.

These are the same names posted above, except that #35 Fernander Chavez hasn't been reported previously.

Getting off track a little bit,  here are some of the July 2 International Signs that the Tigers are looking at, courtesy of MLB.Pipeline (yes, BA also has the Tigers in on these two top players)...

cut.jpg

Jose De La Cruz | Rank: 15

Hometown: Fantino, Dominican Republic 

Position: OFAge: 16 DOB: 01/03/2002Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'1" Weight: 195 lb.

Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50

The team that signs De La Cruz is going to have a lot to work to do now and in the future.

The teenager has lots of raw power -- some evaluators think he has some of the best raw power in the class -- and he is considered a great overall package with lots of tools. There is some swing-and-miss in his approach at times, but De La Cruz performed well in games in the JDB Baseball League in the Dominican Republic, where his instincts and natural abilities took over. He's very athletic with a strong and projectable body.

De La Cruz is known as a decent runner now, and the hope is that he can maintain his speed as his body develops. He has a strong enough arm to play the corner outfield positions, but he'll likely start his professional career in center field.

De La Cruz is from Fantino, Dominican Republic, and trains with Cristian Batista. The Tigers are the favorite to sign him.

cut.jpg

Adinso Reyes | Rank: 19

Hometown: Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic 
Position: SSAge: 16 DOB: 10/22/2001Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'1" Weight: 195 lb.
Watch
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55

The 6-foot-1, 196-pound Reyes has grown in the past year and his overall game has improved, too.

The infielder already shows a good approach at the plate with decent power and a good hit tool. There's belief that Reyes will show more power with an improved swing and a focus on his overall hitting mechanics once he signs with a team and enters its academy. He can already drive the ball out of the ballpark. He also consistently runs a 6.8-second 60-yard run.

On defense, Reyes shows good hands and a good arm. There's a chance he will end up at third base because of his skill set and his body type, but the team that signs will start him at shortstop and let him play his way out of the position. Reyes, who played in a few events in the International Prospect League in the Dominican Republic, performs well in games. Overall, he's a competitor who has been praised for his intensity on the field and how he really enjoys playing the game.

Reyes is from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, and is trained by Angel Gonzalez. The Tigers are the favorite to sign him.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:31 AM, cruzer1 said:

Getting off track a little bit,  here are some of the July 2 International Signs that the Tigers are looking at, courtesy of MLB.Pipeline (yes, BA also has the Tigers in on these two top players)...

cut.jpg

Position: OFAge: 16 DOB: 01/03/2002Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'1" Weight: 195 lb.

Watch

The team that signs De La Cruz is going to have a lot to work to do now and in the future.

The teenager has lots of raw power -- some evaluators think he has some of the best raw power in the class -- and he is considered a great overall package with lots of tools. There is some swing-and-miss in his approach at times, but De La Cruz performed well in games in the JDB Baseball League in the Dominican Republic, where his instincts and natural abilities took over. He's very athletic with a strong and projectable body.

De La Cruz is known as a decent runner now, and the hope is that he can maintain his speed as his body develops. He has a strong enough arm to play the corner outfield positions, but he'll likely start his professional career in center field.

De La Cruz is from Fantino, Dominican Republic, and trains with Cristian Batista. The Tigers are the favorite to sign him.

cut.jpg

Position: SSAge: 16 DOB: 10/22/2001Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'1" Weight: 195 lb.
Watch

The 6-foot-1, 196-pound Reyes has grown in the past year and his overall game has improved, too.

The infielder already shows a good approach at the plate with decent power and a good hit tool. There's belief that Reyes will show more power with an improved swing and a focus on his overall hitting mechanics once he signs with a team and enters its academy. He can already drive the ball out of the ballpark. He also consistently runs a 6.8-second 60-yard run.

On defense, Reyes shows good hands and a good arm. There's a chance he will end up at third base because of his skill set and his body type, but the team that signs will start him at shortstop and let him play his way out of the position. Reyes, who played in a few events in the International Prospect League in the Dominican Republic, performs well in games. Overall, he's a competitor who has been praised for his intensity on the field and how he really enjoys playing the game.

Reyes is from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, and is trained by Angel Gonzalez. The Tigers are the favorite to sign him.

Jose has the good face.

On 6/13/2018 at 1:31 AM, cruzer1 said:

cut.jpg

Watch

cut.jpg

Watch

Shouldn’t a team in our position go after a top-5 talent?  I’d rather have fewer, more impactful prospects from the International pool.

These guys are all 16 years old. Gleybor Torres signed in 2013. Who knows where we will be 5 years from now. Our “position” should not change the process

Plus, there is a lot of competition to sign the guys that are seen as the very best right now. It can make sense to focus on the less heralded guys and lock them down, rather than devote your effort and resources to a guy that may be picking from 10 different offers. 

Anyway, with the bust rate for these guys, I lean toward wanting more guys at less money than one guy at more money. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

These guys are all 16 years old. Gleybor Torres signed in 2013. Who knows where we will be 5 years from now. Our “position” should not change the process

Plus, there is a lot of competition to sign the guys that are seen as the very best right now. It can make sense to focus on the less heralded guys and lock them down, rather than devote your effort and resources to a guy that may be picking from 10 different offers. 

Anyway, with the bust rate for these guys, I lean toward wanting more guys at less money than one guy at more money. 

I don't know, I wish they'd chase the top guys too. They've been following the same strategy of spreading the $ around for a long time and what has it produced aside from Adames?

1 hour ago, irvink said:

I don't know, I wish they'd chase the top guys too. They've been following the same strategy of spreading the $ around for a long time and what has it produced aside from Adames?

How long have the international bonus pool rules been in effect?

Here are the international bonus pools, quoted from MLB:

The A's, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres, Reds and White Sox are in the maximum penalty and cannot sign players for more than $300,000 during the upcoming period.

Clubs that receive a Competitive Balance Pick in Round B of the Rule 4 Draft receive a pool of $6,025,400, while clubs that receive a Competitive Balance Pick in Round A of the Rule 4 Draft receive $5,504,500. All other clubs receive $4,983,500.

Teams are allowed to trade as much of their international pool money as they would like, but can only acquire 75 percent of a team's initial pool amount. Additionally, signing bonuses of $10,000 or less do not count toward a club's bonus pool, and foreign professional players who are at least 25 and have played as in a foreign league for at least six season are also exempt.

The Phillies lost a total of $1 million in pool money for signing Jake Arrieta and Carlos Santana, who were both qualifying free agents, and have the lowest pool money available at $3,949,000. The Cardinals received a Competitive Balance Pick in Round A, but they lost $500,000 for their signing of Greg Holland.

The bonus pools are as follows:
Signing Bonus Pool B ($6,025,400): Reds, Marlins, Brewers, Twins, Athletics, Rays
Signing Bonus Pool A ($5,504,500): D-backs, Orioles, Indians, Rockies, Royals, Pirates, Padres
Signing Bonus Pool ($5,004,500): Cardinals
Signing Bonus Pool ($4,983,500): Braves, Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Tigers, Astros, Angels, Dodgers, Yankees, Mets, Mariners, Giants, Rangers, Blue Jays, Nationals
Signing Bonus Pool ($3,949,000): Phillies

6 hours ago, irvink said:

Santiago, Infante, Garcia, Perez, Leyba, Saurez and Machado as position players..

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Santiago, Infante, Garcia, Perez, Leyba, Saurez and Machado as position players..

A handful of role/bench players. Only Adames even has a shot to be a star.