Jump to content

RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Yoda said:

He says a lot of goofy things, but he's definitely not an idiot. 

Respectfully disagree.  He got his *** kicked out of here for a reason, that reason being that he is an Internet Tough Guy.  This is what I will give him credit for, he was very well-read.  He must have had all day available to read the sports page, but as far as original thought or insight, I don't remember any.  In his defense though I will say that I stopped reading anything that he posted here, long before he got kicked out, so maybe there was some original thought in the posts that he made that I did not bother to read.  So I don't remember anything about him that would change my opinion that he is an idiot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

Respectfully disagree.  He got his *** kicked out of here for a reason, that reason being that he is an Internet Tough Guy.  This is what I will give him credit for, he was very well-read.  He must have had all day available to read the sports page, but as far as original thought or insight, I don't remember any.  In his defense though I will say that I stopped reading anything that he posted here, long before he got kicked out, so maybe there was some original thought in the posts that he made that I did not bother to read.  So I don't remember anything about him that would change my opinion that he is an idiot.

Post of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's rumors that the Tigers will draft HS RHP Closer JT Ginn in the 2nd round. Maybe he can hit a little. Maybe not. Do they want to improve their position prospects? They suck. Besides Stewart, the Tigers have the worst group of position prospects in baseball, and it's not close. If they draft Ginn, I'll punch a pillow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

There's rumors that the Tigers will draft HS RHP Closer JT Ginn in the 2nd round. Maybe he can hit a little. Maybe not. Do they want to improve their position prospects? They suck. Besides Stewart, the Tigers have the worst group of position prospects in baseball, and it's not close. If they draft Ginn, I'll punch a pillow.

He's a closer in HS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TigerNation said:

He's a closer in HS?

Not from what can tell. 

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jt-ginn/oPpSX6yiEeS-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/baseball-stats.htm

6'2" 210 lb senior

Averaging just about 2 K an inning this year as a starter. 

As of October 2017, was a Fastball/Slider guy that was touching 97. Working on a changeup. 

Hitting .415 over 109 games for his high school career with 28 home runs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Walewander said:

Not from what can tell. 

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jt-ginn/oPpSX6yiEeS-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/baseball-stats.htm

6'2" 210 lb senior

Averaging just about 2 K an inning this year as a starter. 

As of October 2017, was a Fastball/Slider guy that was touching 97. Working on a changeup. 

Hitting .415 over 109 games for his high school career with 28 home runs. 

 

He's got a bunch of saves. I think he has a record. I think the Tigers will start him. Until he fully develops the change,he's a candidate for the pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

He's got a bunch of saves. I think he has a record. I think the Tigers will start him. Until he fully develops the change,he's a candidate for the pen.

Looks like 10 of his 13 saves came as a sophomore.

At least we'll have a lot of ST stories about how his changeup is finally coming along to look forward to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Looks like 10 of his 13 saves came as a sophomore.

At least we'll have a lot of ST stories about how his changeup is finally coming along to look forward to.

Who cares? The Tigers need position players. They can't lineup with 25 rhp!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Who cares? The Tigers need position players. They can't lineup with 25 rhp!

You can always trade pitching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You can always trade pitching.

Just make sure you do it before they get hurt.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Just make sure you do it before they get hurt.  

Faedo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They draft pitchers like Millen drafted wide receivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

1. Detroit Tigers – Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
Mize is still the heavy favorite here, with the backup options appearing to be Georgia Tech C Joey Bart and Florida RHP Brady Singer, while Wisconsin prep CF Jarred Kelenic has faded from contention. Teams outside the top five picks don’t expect to get Mize’s MRI (he missed time last spring with an arm issue and some clubs were worried about his health as far back as high school), and it’s possible no one other than Detroit will get it. GM Al Avila saw the Mize/Singer matchup three weekends ago; saw Bart, Georgia prep CF Parker Meadows, and Wichita State 3B Alec Bohm two weekends ago; and Oregon State 2B Nick Madrigal last week. Mississippi prep RHP J.T. Ginn is a target in the second round, as are any of the leftover prep outfielders, like Pennsylvania prep CF Mike Siani.

Latest FG mock. 

 

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-2-0/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short of a Casey Mize crime spree through the South or his arm falling off, is there any real chance we draft anyone else at #1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting tired of these mocks at this point. Although I guess it’s nice when there is a clear cut 1-1 guy and you are picking 1-1. It just makes for less I retesting reading. It would be nice to see some mocks that included the second round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, Shelton said:

Getting tired of these mocks at this point. Although I guess it’s nice when there is a clear cut 1-1 guy and you are picking 1-1. It just makes for less I retesting reading. It would be nice to see some mocks that included the second round. 

Yeah. Callis and Mayo were talking about Mize on their latest pipeline podcast and Callis said :

Quote

Casey is a slam dunk, number one overall pick, as we’ve had in a while. In several years.... The last guy who was that clear cut a number one is… Aiken was universally liked, but really Bryce Harper was the last slam dunk guy like Mize.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That talk about MRIs sent me back to our friends Sleeth and Anderson, the slam dunks that melted away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can trade current players for those position guys we need, if we have to. Drafting will be about best player available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish we had the second pick.  I’m leery of Mize.  However, I don’t see how to avoid drafting him.  Kind of wish the decision wasn’t ours.  I really like Bart—the Buster Posey version vs Eric Munson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

58 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Wish we had the second pick.  I’m leery of Mize.  However, I don’t see how to avoid drafting him.  Kind of wish the decision wasn’t ours.  I really like Bart—the Buster Posey version vs Eric Munson.

Why so leery?  The Tigers don't appear to have a legit star in the system and Mize looks like he should be just that. The only concern is health and if the MRI shows reason for concern, they will pass.

Madrigal, Bart, Bohm and Singer are all interesting prospects/back-ups, but they all have warts or lower ceilings. Posey is really the last high catcher draft pick you can point to who has had success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

That talk about MRIs sent me back to our friends Sleeth and Anderson, the slam dunks that melted away.

I think they mean the procedural let's check everything out medicals. Not that he needs one for any particular reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I think they mean the procedural let's check everything out medicals. Not that he needs one for any particular reason. 

This is exactly what they mean. Need to see that MRI up front so we don't have another Brady Aiken situation - The Astros did not get to see his until after he was drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Wish we had the second pick.  I’m leery of Mize.  However, I don’t see how to avoid drafting him.  Kind of wish the decision wasn’t ours.  I really like Bart—the Buster Posey version vs Eric Munson.

Disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×