RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

On 4/12/2018 at 11:05 AM, cruzer1 said:

I did see Wichita State vs. Oklahoma State yesterday on tape delay.  Saw 4 Bohm at bats vs. fringy righty, and he didn't hit one ball with authority.  Might have been a bad day.  He struck out, grounded out weakly, and flew out a couple of times.

That's why we don't use one game to scout hitters. 

FG has their mock up today.

1. Detroit Tigers – Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn

All of our intel suggests that Mize will be the pick here, provided he doesn’t get hurt and his medical comes back fine. It’s not a 100% slam dunk, but that scenario seems well over 50% likely. In the event things go sideways with Mize, Wisconsin prep CF Jarred Kelenic is the second option and would be signable for a lower bonus, but the weather and competition he’s facing this spring has made him tougher to scout than some other similarly ranked prospects. Wichita State 3B Alec Bohm is another player who has been mentioned here, but he seems like a longshot at this point.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-1-0/

Keith Law spoke to Buster Olney about the draft on his podcast this morning. Here's what he had to say about Casey Mize...

"He has a splitter that is the best pitch in the draft class... 92-96. Really good slider. He throws a cutter and a changeup. He throws a ton of strikes. He did miss a little time as a sophomore with some forearm tightness so teams are really waiting to see what his medical reports look like.  There is just nobody close to him in this draft class. He's been good every week. He's got the weapons. He's got the command and control. No other pitcher or position player in the draft class can match what he brings. So, to me, he's clearly 1. There's maybe ten other guys who you could argue should be number two on that list and I couldn't tell you you're wrong on any of them."

• Like 1

I'll have to watch Mize pitch on the SEC channel. He fits their philosophy to a T.

I'm hoping Mize's medicals check out since he seems to really be breaking away from the pack and being a consensus number 1 like we hoped would happen with somebody.  

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm hoping Mize's medicals check out since he seems to really be breaking away from the pack and being a consensus number 1 like we hoped would happen with somebody.  

Same.

So, if the Tigers draft Mize, will Keith Law still love him?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

No.   He'll question the selection.

• Like 1

Law was asked in his chat today how far from the majors he thought Mize was and he said if healthy he thinks by the AS break next year.  I guess that shows how polished he already is. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Law was asked in his chat today how far from the majors he thought Mize was and he said if healthy he thinks by the AS break next year.  I guess that shows how polished he already is. 

Wonder if that holds true if they "Faedo" him and shut him down for 2018?

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Wonder if that holds true if they "Faedo" him and shut him down for 2018?

Actually that was the assumption he was making.  I Forgot to mention that.  

6 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Power Reliever 

Looks like Mize is scheduled to start tonight on SEC+ @ Alabama (Friday 4-20-18).  I think you can watch the game on ESPN Watch with a cable account but I'm not sure yet since I haven't quite figured it out.  I have Spectrum in Kalamazoo if anyone knows for sure if it can be watched ...

46 minutes ago, Tramfan said:

Looks like Mize is scheduled to start tonight on SEC+ @ Alabama (Friday 4-20-18).  I think you can watch the game on ESPN Watch with a cable account but I'm not sure yet since I haven't quite figured it out.  I have Spectrum in Kalamazoo if anyone knows for sure if it can be watched ...

You need a cable subscription that gets the SEC network to watch it on WatchESPN.

8 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

You need a cable subscription that gets the SEC network to watch it on WatchESPN.

Sounds good @TigerNation  I should be good to go then ...

SEC Network is showing the Florida/Kentucky game.  Good game, with good pitching, Jackson Kowar vs. Sean Hjelle.  Hjelle is a top prospect for next year's draft, and Kowar will be a possible top 10 pick.  I'm a big fan of Kentucky's lineup, led by Tristan Pompey, Kole Cottam and Luke Heyer.  Pompey is the stud of the group.  He's the younger brother of Tristan, but is taller (6'4"/205 lbs) and more athletic than Tristan imo.  Pompey is in the group of players who might be in play (along with Florida's India) for the Tigers in the 2nd round.  He plays a nice CF, and is the leadoff hitter for KY and has a .339 batting avg.

https://ukathletics.com/cumestats.aspx?path=baseball

Scratch Hjelle for next year.  He's eligible this year, and looks to go in the mid-late first round according to fangraphs.

For the game, Florida won 9-4, thanks to big games from Wil Dalton (one of my favorites for next year) and John India.  India might not be available when the Tigers select in the 2nd round.  

Kiley was at the game, apparently things were going swell for Mize until he was hit on the wrist with a comebacker.

• Like 1

The commentary was very informative in describing how the come-back line-drive affected Mize.  He starts his delivery with a split finger grip so he doesn't have to alter to the more difficult grip in his glove. 

They demonstrated how a bruised forearm could affect the grip and Mize wasn't as dominant after the line drive.  The real test for the scouts was about how he handled adversity and he seemed to handle it quite well with the help from his offense ...

On 4/19/2018 at 7:20 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Extremely polished, but he needs time in the minors to build up enough endurance to pitch 200 innings per year.

• Like 1