RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I'd like to hear Microline weigh in on this.  If he did so earlier in the thread I have forgotten.

Don't believe he's weighed in since the college season started.

He said that those of us who would like a position player at 1-1 should hope Kelenic breaks out.

using the overall #1 on a HS hitter just seems like too big a risk to take with such a valuable commodity. But that's what they are paying Al the big bucks for I guess.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:28 AM, cruzer1 said:

*When healthy. 

If hes at 140 k's and 6bb at season end.....he will remain a Tiger

I did see Wichita State vs. Oklahoma State yesterday on tape delay.  Saw 4 Bohm at bats vs. fringy righty, and he didn't hit one ball with authority.  Might have been a bad day.  He struck out, grounded out weakly, and flew out a couple of times.

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

using the overall #1 on a HS hitter just seems like too big a risk to take with such a valuable commodity. But that's what they are paying Al the big bucks for I guess.

I think using a #1 on any kind of pitcher is a big risk because pitchers are risky by nature.  Of course, you can also make the case that because pitchers are risky, you need to draft a lot of good ones and hope one or two come through big.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think using a #1 on any kind of pitcher is a big risk because pitchers are risky by nature.  Of course, you can also make the case that because pitchers are risky, you need to draft a lot of good ones and hope one or two come through big.  

exactly. Still, in recent Tiger history, no drafted player has had the impact Verlander has. If there is another guy like that out there, I want him - even more than a Trout. Of course - the question/problem is what to do when that easy choice isn't there.....

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

exactly. Still, in recent Tiger history, no drafted player has had the impact Verlander has. If there is another guy like that out there, I want him - even more than a Trout. Of course - the question/problem is what to do when that easy choice isn't there.....

Let's just combine them both and draft the American Ohtani.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Let's just combine them both and draft the American Ohtani.

He was drafted last year by Tampa Bay.

I got a chance to see Casey Mize pitch tonight, and was very impressed with his complete game victory over Miss State.  He threw about 105 pitches, struck out nine, and didn't walk a batter.  There was one hard hit ball, a triple to center on a fastball that was elevated.  The most impressive part of his game that I didn't know until today was his defense.  He was plus to plus plus on at least 4 defensive plays I saw, including a sharp grounder to his right, and a bunt attempt.  The announcers said that one organization had everybody there, then panned down to the scout area, and a Tigers scout had his speed gun on.

19 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I got a chance to see Casey Mize pitch tonight, and was very impressed with his complete game victory over Miss State.  He threw about 105 pitches, struck out nine, and didn't walk a batter.  There was one hard hit ball, a triple to center on a fastball that was elevated.  The most impressive part of his game that I didn't know until today was his defense.  He was plus to plus plus on at least 4 defensive plays I saw, including a sharp grounder to his right, and a bunt attempt.  The announcers said that one organization had everybody there, then panned down to the scout area, and a Tigers scout had his speed gun on.

That's cool, what was his velo like?

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

That's cool, what was his velo like?

No speed gun, but he was giving up lots of ground balls.  Auburn can really pick it, they have a nice SS in Will Holland.  I don't know what kind of prospect he is, but he was very impressive, and has a dynamite arm.

We're still 7+ weeks away, but it does feel now like Mize is the safe pick and not sure it's all that close. Sure, he has to keep it up, but he looks too good not to. It seems like the only question will be his health.

If AA and co are not in love with Mize, I suppose we should not rule out Kelenic. In each of the last two years, the team picking 1-1 has gone with a high upside high school bat over the safer/higher ranked prospect. Phils already regretting taking Moniak over Senzel. Royce Lewis looks like a good prospect for Minn, but Hunter Greene/MacKenzie Gore/Brendan McKay look very good too.

If they do go with the riskier Kelenic, I'd hope it's at least in part bc they are getting a good deal and will be able to spread some of that money around.

2 hours ago, irvink said:

We're still 7+ weeks away, but it does feel now like Mize is the safe pick and not sure it's all that close. Sure, he has to keep it up, but he looks too good not to. It seems like the only question will be his health.

If AA and co are not in love with Mize, I suppose we should not rule out Kelenic. In each of the last two years, the team picking 1-1 has gone with a high upside high school bat over the safer/higher ranked prospect. Phils already regretting taking Moniak over Senzel. Royce Lewis looks like a good prospect for Minn, but Hunter Greene/MacKenzie Gore/Brendan McKay look very good too.

If they do go with the riskier Kelenic, I'd hope it's at least in part bc they are getting a good deal and will be able to spread some of that money around.

If they go with Kelenic, it's because of Mize's physical, which is no slam dunk.

5 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

If they go with Kelenic, it's because of Mize's physical, which is no slam dunk.

I don't care if he can dunk, can he pitch?

25 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Not if he is injured.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Not if he is injured.

So you question his grittiness?

11 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

So you question his grittiness?

He came off as a gamer.

13 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Brandon Inge. 

On 4/14/2018 at 2:48 AM, cruzer1 said:

No speed gun, but he was giving up lots of ground balls.  Auburn can really pick it, they have a nice SS in Will Holland.  I don't know what kind of prospect he is, but he was very impressive, and has a dynamite arm.

Mize at 4 and 86 now. Thats just ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Mize at 4 and 86 now. Thats just ridiculous. 

It is, but I do think that college baseball has a ridiculously large strike zone.

FanGraphs has their updated draft rankings and it's well worth a read. Some movement at top.

1. Mize  - Mize missed some time last year with an arm issue, but he’s been healthy and steadily improving since then, working in the mid-90s with his sinker while also flashing a plus slider and splitter as he rolls through the SEC.

2. Madrigal - Madrigal hasn’t played since the second weekend of the season due to a fracture in his hand, but he was electric for those two weekends and does everything you can ask of a player (plus hit, plus run, plus glove, gets to all his power) once you stop caring that he’s little.

3. Bohm - Bohm has the hands, arm, and athleticism to handle third — as well as 70 raw power — and is walking twice as much as he strikes out against good college competition.

4. Swaggerty

5. Stewart

6. McClanahan

7. Liberatore 

8. Kelenic

9. Joey Bart 

10. Connor Scott

11. Gorman

15. Singer

31. Hankins

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/updated-2018-mlb-draft-rankings/

On 4/15/2018 at 12:13 PM, cruzer1 said:

It is, but I do think that college baseball has a ridiculously large strike zone.

I guess one can argue anything. The guy throws WELL into the 90's, for a Division 1. 

On 4/6/2018 at 1:01 PM, tiger337 said:

Here's the pitch to Bohm...Boom!

And Bohm goes the dynamite!