RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study of who makes the most accurate prospect lists?  Most probably do not turn out so good, but it would be interesting to see which ones turn out best.  

I don't know about prospects but I remember the fantasy evaluator at USA Today one year forecasting Deivi Cruz for 20 homers and, get this, 20 steals.  

3 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I don't know about prospects but I remember the fantasy evaluator at USA Today one year forecasting Deivi Cruz for 20 homers and, get this, 20 steals.  

LOL - He must have had the wrong Cruz.

Poor Deivi was never the same player after the ankle injury, but even before that he had never been a threat to steal 20 in any  league as far back as A ball.

17 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

There's a lot to like about Gorman. The Tigers need some bats.

I like Gorman. I like Madrigal too, particularly if we can save a few bucks and get a higher end HS guy in round two. 

17 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL - He must have had the wrong Cruz.

Poor Deivi was never the same player after the ankle injury, but even before that he had never been a threat to steal 20 in any  league as far back as A ball.

Here is a picture of Deivi, post-injury 

6D47377E-BDBD-46D7-87F2-10D528C9C9B0.jpeg

51 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

doesn't the broken wrist make the answer NO

Not a big deal. He's going to return by April. The power is new to me. 

He's definitely an attractive fit. It won't be long for him to be major league ready.

Wrist injuries are notorious for sapping a hitter's power.  Even if he's back in April, I wonder if the power takes longer to return.  

6 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Not a big deal. He's going to return by April. The power is new to me. 

He's definitely an attractive fit. It won't be long for him to be major league ready.

worst thing you can do is talk yourself into drafting an outlier player just because there is some other one in a million outlier player that has succeeded. Altuve is the only Altuve - the odds say rest of the undersized guys are just under sized guys that Houston would have been right to have sent home at the tryout because 99.99% of them won't hit in the majors. Plus the report is that this guy is even 'small for his size'. 

• Like 1

I am not a draft expert.  But it seems like this is one of those where it isn’t very advantageous to have the uno.

35 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

worst thing you can do is talk yourself into drafting an outlier player just because there is some other one in a million outlier player that has succeeded. Altuve is the only Altuve - the odds say rest of the undersized guys are just under sized guys that Houston would have been right to have sent home at the tryout because 99.99% of them won't hit in the majors. Plus the report is that this guy is even 'small for his size'. 

There was also Dustin Pedroia  I certainly wouldn't draft because his size reminded me of Altuve or Pedroia.  On the other hand, if he has the best tools of all players available, I wouldn't pass him over because of his size.  

Based on what I have read (and really that's all I can base it on), I like Stormin Gorman.  

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

There was also Dustin Pedroia  I certainly wouldn't draft because his size reminded me of Altuve or Pedroia.  On the other hand, if he has the best tools of all players available, I wouldn't pass him over because of his size.  

I was just about to mention Pedroia, who is listed at 5'9. I would say Madrigal reminds me more of him than Altuve.

I do like Madrigal though. I saw one of the prospect guys - can't remember which - suggest he could be a pretty good shortstop if given the chance. That would obviously make him even more appealing.

I too, like Gorman, but have always hoped a college bat could emerge as the top guy. 

21 minutes ago, irvink said:

I was just about to mention Pedroia, who is listed at 5'9. I would say Madrigal reminds me more of him than Altuve.

I do like Madrigal though. I saw one of the prospect guys - can't remember which - suggest he could be a pretty good shortstop if given the chance. That would obviously make him even more appealing.

I too, like Gorman, but have always hoped a college bat could emerge as the top guy. 

IDK - I know the risk is higher, but I'd still rather take the best arm unless the argument the other way is strong in a particular year. I think Dombrowski had that much right - build a starting staff and rebuild around that. On that note it seem Singer's stock is dropping. I'm always amazed how much perceptions can change while so many guys aren't even playing.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I am not a draft expert.  But it seems like this is one of those where it isn’t very advantageous to have the uno.

There is no clear cut one ala Ken Griffey Jr or A rod or Strausberg. But, its a decent crop and its always beneficial to have number 1 just because of the more money that come with it for your draft pool. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IDK - I know the risk is higher, but I'd still rather take the best arm unless the argument the other way is strong in a particular year. I think Dombrowski had that much right - build a starting staff and rebuild around that. On that note it seem Singer's stock is dropping. I'm always amazed how much perceptions can change while so many guys aren't even playing.

They are playing

15 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

They are playing

yes - but perceptions seem to shift even before they do. Maybe basketball is even worse in this regard. Guys go workout for teams and stocks go up and down - I've always kind of felt that looking at anything but game conditions leads to decisions like Darko. xD

9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

There is no clear cut one ala Ken Griffey Jr or A rod or Strausberg. But, its a decent crop and its always beneficial to have number 1 just because of the more money that come with it for your draft pool. 

Good point.  I never seem to remember that.

6 hours ago, TigerNation said:

He walks too much for the Tigers.

If that's a joke then I like it....

Casey Mize of Auburn who some Consider the best college pitcher just threw a 13k no hitter. 

I have been watching a lot of college baseball lately, dvr'd almost every game I can on all the foxsports channels that I have with U-Verse.  One player that has really struck me as a mega superstar who could possibly be in the 2018 draft (BA doesn't have him in their top 200) is Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray.  He's one of the most athletically gifted players I have seen in a while, and looks to have a full toolbox.  The football question is pretty huge, since he would likely take over for Baker Mayfield next year.  I did see him against Texas Southern, which is an awful baseball team, but he's dominating with his wheels, bat and glove in cf.  I hope the Tigers look into drafting him, perhaps in the 2nd.  He hasn't played a lot of baseball, but it doesn't matter.  Looks really easy to him. Hopefully, he has a price.