RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

Thanks for sharing.  I’m hoping draft news can sustain me through what will likely be a quiet offseason for us.  

I really hope a college bat emerges—I’d be OK with not taking the top talent if it frees up money to draft and sign better players in other rounds, going above slot.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Thanks for sharing.  I’m hoping draft news can sustain me through what will likely be a quiet offseason for us.  

I really hope a college bat emerges—I’d be OK with not taking the top talent if it frees up money to draft and sign better players in other rounds, going above slot.

The TIgers will have plenty of money to take the best available in each round. 

If we did take Singer I'd have to believe that we'd have the best system for pitching prospects. Singer, Faedo, Perez, Manning, Burrows and Funkhouser is an impressive stable of arms.  

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

If we did take Singer I'd have to believe that we'd have the best system for pitching prospects. Singer, Faedo, Perez, Manning, Burrows and Funkhouser is an impressive stable of arms.  

I’d add Soto to the mix.  I still hope a college bat somehow emerges.

Fangraphs has its draft rankings up. 

They have Singer at the top, as do most publications at this point. Interestingly enough, they do have a position player ranked 2nd, Nolan Gorman, a HS 3b-man. He sounds enticing.

Gorman has 65 or 70 raw power from the left side, he hit well all summer, posted huge exit velos, has an in-the-box safety frame, and has the surprising quickness to stick at third base. He’s a safe bet to go in the top 10. His bat is so polished that the risk profile more closely resembles a college hitter’s than the typical high schooler’s.

Nick Madrigal, the tiny college 2b, is the next hitter up at 6. Then, Brice Turang at 9. Jason Kelenic, a HS CFer at 10. 4 more bats in the 11-14 slots. They said the first 10-15 players on this list are tightly packed.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-draft-rankings-2018-2019-and-2020/

It doesn't bother me if Singer is the 1-1 pick for this year. We still have the #1 pick in rounds 2, 3, 4, 5...

Hopefully there are position player steals at the top of these other rounds...

And the Tigers select 'em.

1 hour ago, irvink said:

Fangraphs has its draft rankings up. 

They have Singer at the top, as do most publications at this point. Interestingly enough, they do have a position player ranked 2nd, Nolan Gorman, a HS 3b-man. He sounds enticing.

Nick Madrigal, the tiny college 2b, is the next hitter up at 6. Then, Brice Turang at 9. Jason Kelenic, a HS CFer at 10. 4 more bats in the 11-14 slots. They said the first 10-15 players on this list are tightly packed.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-draft-rankings-2018-2019-and-2020/

I don't know what "in-the-box safety frame" means, but the rest of the Nolan Gorman description sounds great.  I am really hoping a position player emerges as first pick worthy.  I think the Tigers are going to be in trouble if they don't start accumulating some top position prospects.  

43 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

It doesn't bother me if Singer is the 1-1 pick for this year. We still have the #1 pick in rounds 2, 3, 4, 5...

This seems the likely direction they will take. But who knows. They'll find a way to **** off all of us. 

52 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't know what "in-the-box safety frame" means, but the rest of the Nolan Gorman description sounds great.  I am really hoping a position player emerges as first pick worthy.  I think the Tigers are going to be in trouble if they don't start accumulating some top position prospects.  

Gorman's problem is hit. Can he reduce the swing and miss to go with all that power. If he does then he an easy choice for one for us. 

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

If Singer or another pitcher is the top guy, it wouldn't bother me either, but I'm hoping a guy like Gorman emerges as a clear alternative because, as Lee said, the Tigers desperately need impact position player prospects. I like what they say about Gorman's polish too. He could be a guy ready to contribute  in three years.

I've read that the strength of this draft is high school pitchers, I'd rather see the Tigers collect those at the top of later rounds.

Any exciting top-30 relievers we can waste on the #1 pick? 

48 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

Folks dying for a position player need to hope Kelenic shows out this spring...massive upside.

Love to hear it.

Is there a college bat out there who you could see enter the 1-1 conversation?

I don’t care if it’s a pitcher or a position player that appears to earn the spot of 1-1. I just want whoever it is to be fairly clear consensus 1-1 guy. That’s probably not likely, but I would love for singer to emerge to a stud starting pitching prospect, or for one of these hitters to make some big strides and make himself the clear best hitter. 

It will be annoying if we are choosing from a group of like 5 or 6 guys when we have the first pick.

15 hours ago, Shelton said:

I don’t care if it’s a pitcher or a position player that appears to earn the spot of 1-1. I just want whoever it is to be fairly clear consensus 1-1 guy. That’s probably not likely, but I would love for singer to emerge to a stud starting pitching prospect, or for one of these hitters to make some big strides and make himself the clear best hitter. 

It will be annoying if we are choosing from a group of like 5 or 6 guys when we have the first pick.

Agree. The most important thing is that a fairly consensus 1-1 guy emerges, or at least a top 2. When the field becomes five or six guys, I think teams just tend to sign the player who will sign cheapest, so they can spread that money around. While that has some appeal, it can also lead a team to take Mickey Moniak with the top pick. 

Looking at some recent drafts.

In 2011, it seemed the consensus guy was Cole, maybe in a group with Bauer and Rendon. That worked out for Pitt.

In  2012, Buxton was the top guy. Houston went with Correa instead and that worked out great.

In 2013, Appel, Bryant and Gray were seen in the top tier. Unfortunately for Houston, they went with the worst guy. 

In 2014, Aiken was seen as head of the class, which turned out bad, though Houston was able to rebound in 

2015 - when they got one from a top tier of three Swanson, Bregman and Rogers.

So I guess, "who knows?" The most clear cut number 1, from prospect rankings, in recent years was Brady Aiken and he was a bust.

There likely will be a legit star or two among the top five players taken, just have to hope the Tigers get one.  

3 hours ago, irvink said:

Agree. The most important thing is that a fairly consensus 1-1 guy emerges, or at least a top 2. When the field becomes five or six guys, I think teams just tend to sign the player who will sign cheapest, so they can spread that money around. While that has some appeal, it can also lead a team to take Mickey Moniak with the top pick. 

Looking at some recent drafts.

In 2011, it seemed the consensus guy was Cole, maybe in a group with Bauer and Rendon. That worked out for Pitt.

In  2012, Buxton was the top guy. Houston went with Correa instead and that worked out great.

In 2013, Appel, Bryant and Gray were seen in the top tier. Unfortunately for Houston, they went with the worst guy. 

In 2014, Aiken was seen as head of the class, which turned out bad, though Houston was able to rebound in 

2015 - when they got one from a top tier of three Swanson, Bregman and Rogers.

So I guess, "who knows?" The most clear cut number 1, from prospect rankings, in recent years was Brady Aiken and he was a bust.

There likely will be a legit star or two among the top five players taken, just have to hope the Tigers get one.  

Can we call Aiken a bust? 

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, Charles Liston said:

Do any of the better-known players have the nickname "Spaz"?  If so, I'd stay away from them.

Nick Madigral's nickname is 'Lilliputian'

51 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Can we call Aiken a bust? 

I see Pipeline has him 24 still on the Indians prospect list. His age 21 season was rough. I suppose there's still a chance he becomes something, but I think for a 1-1, pretty safe to say he's a bust.

It seems like the the media take is Detroit is all-in on Singer barring him melting down/injured this season.  Taking a UF starter in the first round for the third time in seven drafts seems like fishing in the same pond too many times in a row, but he was probably better than Faedo by the end of last year.

As much as it would be incredible to draft the next great production hitter of the class, it would also be incredible to get the next great Detroit workhorse.

Best stud available.