Sign in to follow this  
RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

2 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I'm no expert on pitching technique, but his delivery kind of scares me wrt potential injury. Am I wrong to think that?

Thats what stood out to me, hes got a low arm slot. Might just be because it's so rare to have that low of a release for a SP though.

I'm way too much into all things Tigers, and thrilled we got the #1, but I can't get excited yet about any of these guys at this stage. The draft is too far away.

I'll probably get excited if one of them turns dominant or something between now and then. But there's no obvious future Tiger right now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

no, you're wrong to have Bill Bonds as your avatar.

If rocking a Bill Bonds avi is wrong, I don't wanna be right...

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

featured_B4yCKFZIUAA4du-_15161.jpg

awesome.  was that before or after Bill challenged him to a fight during his news broadcast?

I know Ron Burgundy was based off of Mort Crim, but Bill Bonds epitomizes the celebrity of a 70's local newscaster.

young pitchers who have had injury issues in the past are too scary to be the #1 pick.  hopefully another hitter emerges.

BA has a podcast out today about the draft that's worth listening, as they spend most of the time going through options for the Tigers at 1-1.

They again talked about Singer as most likely at this stage, with Brice Turang as perhaps the top high school option. An interesting point made is that these guys who have top draft prospects for a while now have been through a ton of scrutiny, much more than other players. That it almost seems like scouts/baseball writers spend too much time poking holes in them. They used AJ Puk and Faedo as recent examples of this... Two players that entered their draft years as the number 1 draft prospect only to fall on draft day, Faedo "inexplicably so". 

The whole pod is worth a listen...

It's number two on this list:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/baseball-america/id201539011?mt=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.blubrry.com%2Fbaseballamerica%2Fmedia.baseballamerica.com%2Fmp3%2Ffree%2F171003.mp3

The other interesting thing they mentioned about Singer -- and some of this may have already been mentioned here -- is that he was the 56th overall pick out of HS in 15. The Jays and Singer had agreed to the number, but something about his physical scared the Jays off and they lowered their number, substantially, so Singer went to Florida. 

That's pretty much what happened to Brady Aiken the year before. He had Tommy John shortly after. Obviously, Singer has had two+ very nice years in college and the Cape since that draft, so perhaps that was an overreaction by the Jays, but it seems like something that could make the Tigers pass on him, even if Singer has a very nice junior season. 

Eric Longenhagen of fangraphs had a chat the other day and somebody asked if there could be a Bryant/Correa type in this draft and he said yes. (Didn't say who though)

Of course he prefaced that by saying that those guys weren't looked at can't miss at the time of the draft so he wasn't necessarily saying there are guys that could turn out like that but guys that could have the perceived value that they did at the time of the draft.

5 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Thats what stood out to me, hes got a low arm slot. Might just be because it's so rare to have that low of a release for a SP though.

Not as low as Chris Sale, for one. Much more compact, though.