Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

336 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

white sox and phillies both win today.

1.5 ahead of sox, tied with phillies (lose tb). giants playing now, if they win we'd be tied with them and have that tie-breaker.

provisional #1 pick is so close.

Dodgers up 3-0 with Kershaw on the mound, so don't love the Giants chances. A week or so ago, I did not think we'd be picking any higher than 4. Now 3 is feeling realistic, 2 or even 1 is not so far fetched. 

43 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

white sox and phillies both win today.

1.5 ahead of sox, tied with phillies (lose tb). giants playing now, if they win we'd be tied with them and have that tie-breaker.

provisional #1 pick is so close.

Too bad there is no Ken Griffey Jr, Alex Rodriguez, or Bryce Harper in this draft (or least I haven't heard about any generational talents in the draft).  How fortunate was Washington to pick #1 two years in row when Harper and Strasburg were obvious number one picks. Going forward shouldn't the Tigers have lots of pool money to sign top international talent--for once!

4 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Too bad there is no Ken Griffey Jr, Alex Rodriguez, or Bryce Harper in this draft (or least I haven't heard about any generational talents in the draft).  How fortunate was Washington to pick #1 two years in row when Harper and Strasburg were obvious number one picks. Going forward shouldn't the Tigers have lots of pool money to sign top international talent--for once!

No, international bonus pools are allocated by revenues and market size, not standings.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, irvink said:

Dodgers up 3-0 with Kershaw on the mound, so don't love the Giants chances. A week or so ago, I did not think we'd be picking any higher than 4. Now 3 is feeling realistic, 2 or even 1 is not so far fetched. 

Giants Phillis and White Sox all play tomorrow. We could be in second by the end of the day tomorrow. 

The current 7 game losing streak has put us into the second worse run difference. The padres still still hold the top spot, but we could get there with a couple more blowouts. 

Does losing and achieving a possible top #3 pick help us overall in the draft?  My knowledge is so limited, but by getting such a high pick next summer does that mean we'll pick a few times in the first round, or have more picks total in the first few rounds?

51 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Does losing and achieving a possible top #3 pick help us overall in the draft?  My knowledge is so limited, but by getting such a high pick next summer does that mean we'll pick a few times in the first round, or have more picks total in the first few rounds?

Picking 3 is better than 4, 2 better than 3, 1 better than 2. But no, no extra picks. In 2018 draft, there is no clear (right now) #1, but in other years it really made a difference to pick #1.

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Picking 3 is better than 4, 2 better than 3, 1 better than 2. But no, no extra picks. In 2018 draft, there is no clear (right now) #1, but in other years it really made a difference to pick #1.

Even if there is no obvious pick, the bigger spending pool is benefit enough. 

1 hour ago, thefunk said:

Why wouldn't they pick #1 if they have the worst record..........because I think that is a real possibility.   

They might actually lose 100.   I can easily see them losing the rest of the way. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Giants Phillis and White Sox all play tomorrow. We could be in second by the end of the day tomorrow. 

The current 7 game losing streak has put us into the second worse run difference. The padres still still hold the top spot, but -and the  we could get there with a couple more blowouts. -

The September swoon has really done the trick.  At the time of the Verlander trade, the Tigers had the 7th pick.  They were 58-74 and the top pick had a record of 50-83, 8 1/2 games back.  In 24 days they have shaved 7 1/2 games off of that and found themselves with the 3rd pick.

51 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why wouldn't they pick #1 if they have the worst record..........because I think that is a real possibility.   

They might actually lose 100.   I can easily see them losing the rest of the way. 

100 losses is darn realistic. I mean, even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes, so I suppose it's possible the could catch KC or Minnesota on an off day. But this team is tumbling down the drain fast. Losing out is absolutely realistic. 

They probably did have to wait another month to trade JV to get a better deal for him, but if both he and Upton were dealt on July 31st, the Tigers would have the worst record in baseball. They easily have the worst roster now given their current pitching staff. It is unfathomably bad after the Fulmer injury. They'll enter next year with the best odds of having the worst record in MLB. I guess Cabrera could turn it around next year to maybe change the calculus a little bit, but I'm not optimistic about him being anything beyond a 120 OPS+ or something close to that.