RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

The glaring thing for me about this rebuild is that the Tigers are one of about 16 or 18 teams that are also rebuilding at the same time.  Everybody in the division not named Cleveland is rebuilding.  This would seem like the time to be making a push for the playoffs.

I wonder if the recent bullpen trend that we saw will have real effects on the starting pitching market this offseason?  I wouldn't think there would be a material shift in allocating free agent dollars away from starters because of it, but who knows.

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

The tigers are allowed to sign players, too. 

Yes, but I don't think it's going to be the way it was under Mike Ilitch where they could sign really good players on a regular basis.  I believe this re-build is going to depend on prospects and trades and shrewd acquisitions of cheaper players.  

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I wonder if the recent bullpen trend that we saw will have real effects on the starting pitching market this offseason?  I wouldn't think there would be a material shift in allocating free agent dollars away from starters because of it, but who knows.

I think it could have a positive effect for relievers more than a negative effect for starters.  I doubt many teams are ready to plunge all the way in just yet.  

Just now, tiger337 said:

Yes, but I don't think it's going to be the way it was under Mike Ilitch where they could sign really good players on a regular basis.  I believe this re-build is going to depend on prospects and trades and shrewd acquisitions of cheaper players.  

They don’t need to sign players like they did under Mike. There are plenty of good free agents that can be signed to fill out a roster and put a team over the top. 

We don’t need all of the prospects to pan out. We just enough of them to pan out. 

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I don’t think it will have any effect. 

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

They don’t need to sign players like they did under Mike. There are plenty of good free agents that can be signed to fill out a roster and put a team over the top. 

We don’t need all of the prospects to pan out. We just enough of them to pan out. 

If they want to become a perennial contender again, they will need more than that.  If we are talking about a team that is mediocre most years, but a makes a post-season run on occasion, that won't be hard.  

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If they want to become a perennial contender again, they will need more than that.  If we are talking about a team that is mediocre most years, but a makes a post-season run on occasion, that won't be hard.  

Yes, that’s true. But that’s true of most teams. 

I think the tigers are in the upper tier or the mid market teams. They can afford to spend a bit. They can’t act like the Sox and yanks and dodgers and cubs. But they can do more than the royals and twins and rays and orioles and A’s and Cleveland. Maybe the same as the angels and mariners and those types of teams. Probably similar to the Astros, too. 

So yeah, they do need to be able to build a good core of controllable ML talent. The system now is in good shape to give them that chance. It’s probably the best it’s been in decades. And they will be adding new young players every year. 

Update on some AFL action.  Daz is currently 8th and 4th respectively in OPS and OBP, he had another good day today so those rankings may go up.   Good to see him build off the strong 2nd half he had.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:10 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Update on some AFL action.  Daz is currently 8th and 4th respectively in OPS and OBP, he had another good day today so those rankings may go up.   Good to see him build off the strong 2nd half he had.

I've decided to let myself get irrationally excited about both Daz and Isaac Paredes, despite fully understanding small sample sizes and the fact that the quality of opposition needs to be taken into account. I'm also discounting any bad performances, as I'm fully on board the hype train.