RandyMarsh

2018 Draft Pick Watch

1 hour ago, PuNk42AE said:

What all happened with Perez this year?  (I think it was Perez, the one that came from Houston with Daz and Rogers.)  I know he started the year injured, and see he has actually pitched some innings.  But is that now, or was he shut down at some point again?

He got injured again. 

5 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Leyland, the voice of reason.  I'd rather err on the side of caution with Beau.  He's not in over his head, but he has to throw strikes.

Also, I think it's important that while the pitchers are doing well, that the Tigers are very conservative regarding their service time, and max out their value.

I don’t disagree with this, especially service time, but the org has taken an approach this season to push their best prospects a bit, by moving them up a level to get a taste for where they will likely start next year.  With over 200 innings at AA, doesn’t it seem that Burrows would start in Toledo next year?

2 hours ago, PuNk42AE said:

What all happened with Perez this year?  (I think it was Perez, the one that came from Houston with Daz and Rogers.)  I know he started the year injured, and see he has actually pitched some innings.  But is that now, or was he shut down at some point again?

hurt again

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t disagree with this, especially service time, but the org has taken an approach this season to push their best prospects a bit, by moving them up a level to get a taste for where they will likely start next year.  With over 200 innings at AA, doesn’t it seem that Burrows would start in Toledo next year?

Possibly. But, we don't know the whole story. Maybe the Tigers know he's tired and don't want him to get shalaked in Toledo. Or maybe he has family coming in for his last start at erie and there is no great reason to take that away. Maybe they want him to continue to work with Rogers because that's what will happen in the Biggs. I dunno. It's not a big deal one way or the other and there is no rule you have to test at AAA before starting the next year there. 

I think turnbull is rule 5 eligible this winter so he could be getting a September call up.

Yep...run him out there and see what he has before deciding if you protect him on the 40 man

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Service time manipulation seems to bes less of an issue with pitching prospects. Not suggesting they be rushed but they come with far greater risk than hitters and the general consensus seems to get what you can out of them when they are ready for MLB bc you never know how long they will last. It's why Kopech is already up for the White Sox after 7 or so excellent starts and Eloy won't be up until next year/late April, despite destroying AAA pitching for a while now.

That said, Burrows is no Kopech. He's had an up and down year. I'd have been curious to see if he could rise to the occasion in AAA, but I guess we'll have to wait until next spring to find out.

Also, have not seen this nice profile of Deathrage up yet. Worth a read.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/tigers-prospect-brock-deatherage-on-coming-alive-after-the-game-beat-him-up/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think turnbull is rule 5 eligible this winter so he could be getting a September call up.

If he can stay healthy, he will stick.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:56 AM, cruzer1 said:

Leyland, the voice of reason.  I'd rather err on the side of caution with Beau.  He's not in over his head, but he has to throw strikes.

Also, I think it's important that while the pitchers are doing well, that the Tigers are very conservative regarding their service time, and max out their value.

There's no benefit to playing service time games with pitchers.

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

There's no benefit to playing service time games with pitchers.

I think there is.  I like what the Tigers did with Porcello when he came up.  Kind of melding him into a 5th starter/kept off until reached an extra year like Bryant.

Just now, cruzer1 said:

I think there is.  I like what the Tigers did with Porcello when he came up.  Kind of melding him into a 5th starter/kept off until reached an extra year like Bryant.

Porcello is the exception.  Pitchers' stuff deteriorates in mysterious ways.  Trying to squeeze out an extra year before free agency for a pitcher generally has little benefit.

16 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Porcello is the exception.  Pitchers' stuff deteriorates in mysterious ways.  Trying to squeeze out an extra year before free agency for a pitcher generally has little benefit.

This is true, although there is little benefit to adding a guy to the majors to start a season if the team is clearly not in a position to contend. 

Regardless, it’s not really worth worrying about. 

It is worth noting that with porcello, the only reason he had that extra year is because he was pitching poorly enough to deserve a demotion to work on things. He began his career on opening day in 2009 and spent the entire season with the team. I doubt they planned to send him back to the minors after that, so it happened pretty organically. But once he was down there, I do think they left him there long enough to get that potential extra year. 

• Like 1

Turnbull had a nice AAA debut: 6.1 innings, 7 hits, 11 Ks, 2 BBs (his last 2 batters)

49 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Turnbull had a nice AAA debut: 6.1 innings, 7 hits, 11 Ks, 2 BBs (his last 2 batters)

Oh great another guy who can't finish what he started. 

• Like 1

Matt Manning's first start  at Erie....

6IP  0R  3H   1BB   8 K

47 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

6IP  0R  3H   1BB   8 K

Good work, Matt. We're all proud.

56 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

6IP  0R  3H   1BB   8 K

He’s all growns up!

On Law's chat today somebody asked him what he thought of Manning yesterday and he said he looked "fine" but still doesn't have a plus secondary pitch and that his FB is flat.  He did say that he liked how he was getting more extension on his delivery. All in all I don't think he sounded too impressed.

In that same chat he did mention how good he thought Castro and Paredes look and that he felt like Alcantara may have a 70 arm.  

Potential bad news with Faedo.  So far he has given up 3 runs in 5IP with 5Ks.  That isn't too bad, what is bad is that atleast according to some fans on twitter his FB has been between 86-89.  He got hit on a comebacker early in the game so hopefully that may have something to do with it(assuming it's not a serious injury) also the Seawolves twitter account responded to one of the tweets saying that the stadium gun wasn't reliable so hopefully that can also explain it. 

On the bright side, Paredes was 3-6 with a 2B and HR.

Now hitting .330/.416/.470 in 35 games in AA.

• Like 1

Wenceel goes  2-3 with a 2B and a BB to bump his average up to .333.  Pretty nice run for an 18 year-old in Low A

• Like 1

Paredes has to have played his way into a top-100 MLB prospect.  His numbers are incredibly impressive for playing at High A/AA at age 19.  I suspect he’ll start off next year in Erie and finish the season in Toledo, with Detroit in September and full-time in 2020, if he continues to progress like he has so far.