roarintiger1

Who will lead them?

Ok.   So now we officially are in a rebuilding mode in Detroit. Certainly, more of the high salaried guys will be moved in the offseason.  There will be definitely be a lot of young players to deal with at the start of the new season.    Just who will Al Avila choose to manage them?   It certainly can't be the current coaching staff.   Or, can it?    Some sacrificial sole like Alan Trammell again or someone else?  What are your thoughts?

It doesn't seem like there are many prospects that are going to be getting to the big leagues next season.  If there were a way to manage Ausmus into managing Fulmer's uasge, would it be all that bad to bring Ausmus back next season?  Because the next manager that really will make a difference likely isn't needed in 2018 or maybe even 2019.

Further, are Avila/C. Ilitch even that concerned with who manages the team?  If Avila has been ordered to dump payroll, short-term winning is not that much on the table.

We're also removed from the era of Bell/Parrish/Garner/Pujols when the team changed managers every 2 or 3 seasons.  My guess is that Ausmus will return for 2018 and will continue to be in the dugout until either a. ownership decides they want to win rather than watch their bank accounts grow or b. a new owner takes over.

I'd like to see a different pitching coach. I wish we had a Dave Duncan that was more than just an instructor type. LaRussa pretty much let Duncan call shots with pitchers. Don't have any idea who that would be but that would be a big help if Brad comes back.

I would also like to see a different pitching coach brought in.  They need to try something to snap Zimmermann out of whatever he is going through in order to salvage that contract.

Good grief, Zimmermann rather than Verlander.  I feel hungover without the drinking.

This team is most likely being prepared for sale, as any resonable being sees the club as a drag on the rest of the Illitch Empire. As long as Marion lives, the ownership will stay the same.

A player will  emerge as a leader of this team. Brad will not be back. There are other choices that can be made.The GM will remain unchanged as he has done the owner's bidding.

The face of this team will be decided in December.

I too, feel that Ausmus will not be back.    He couldn't win with all-star veterans and he certainly can't win with a bunch of rookies.   I personally would not want him near the young, rebuilding team. 

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Think we got our answer this morning--Efren Navarro.

Efren Navarro.  Youth and speed!

I would make Victor Martinez player manager for the final season of his contract.  

While I'm not thrilled with what the team has accomplished, or not accomplished, under Ausmus, I also don't like the idea of bringing in someone new for their first manager gig.  There is too much at stake at the MLB level to learn on the job, so I'd rather have a veteran manager, or at least someone who has managed extensively in the minors, who knows how to massage the egos in a clubhouse, when to push & when to pull.  Either that, or just stick with Brad.

I am also not convinced that this organization is in a mode to cut salary in order to sell the team.  Avila has said all along he has not been ordered to cut payroll, but I think he understands there needs to be an organizational shift in how we pay/acquire talent.  That's not easy & doesn't happen overnight.  Whether he has what it takes to build that organization is another question, but I do think he's right that it needs to change.