Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't know if it's weak but it's uninspiring.  

Man tough crowd. 

A top 50 prospect, a guy who was at the top of the draft when picked, though the shine has come off and a catcher. I know you like me wanted three top 20 guys but I'm not sure that was happening. 

• Like 1

When I woke my son up and told him this morning he cried. I cried last night.  Even if they had won a world championship when they had one of those golden opportunities this still would've happened.   The fact that they did not makes this hurt even more. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Well said. I know the trade makes sense, but that doesn't make it any easier to take.

I also think there is no way Avila gets fired at least for a couple of years, though I would be surprised if Ausmus returns. IMO, you don't allow Avila to trade everyone for prospects and then immediately fire him. You have to be willing to wait it out to see how many of them pan out.

Agree on both.  I'm not sure about either's ability in a rebuild, but we are going to find out about Avila unless the Tigers are sold off.

I would hate to see the Tigers sold to whatshisname that owns the Cavs.  I saw some discontent about DeVos.  It'd be nice to see the team owned be local blood.  Hopefully there is a concrete plan in place for a rebuild.  Hopefully this is just not selling off liabilities to make the team more attractive to purchase.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The office commentary has sucked today.

Luckily it's a holiday weekend and half the people are gone today.  But I legitimately had that thought leaving the house this morning.... "My God, it's going to be endless....."

So far not one person.

• Like 1

One of my favorite Verlander memories was last year when he tweeted he was close.  Then he delivered a season he should have won the Cy Young.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I was thinking about this on the drive in.

Kinsler traded is a no brainer.

Iglesias is close to a no brainer, but I suppose if there is virtually no interest for his services, they would hold onto to him for next year and hope a ss gets injured along the way to make him more attractive as a trade target.

Curious to see what they do with Castellanos.  Not sure if there is a market for him either.

Betcha Kinsler has been googling nonstop for a flux capacitor lately.  That extension that he demanded from the Dodgers probably isn't as much of a priority for him in retrospect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

Luckily it's a holiday weekend and half the people are gone today.  But I legitimately had that thought leaving the house this morning.... "My God, it's going to be endless....."

So far not one person.

I live out of state, many people know I'm a diehard. It's gonna be fun to hear "so Verlander got traded, huh?" everywhere I go today. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The office commentary has sucked today.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not in today.  Cleveland fan would be more unbearable the normal.

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

So far not one person.

You work for an OEM, right?

I am on the supplier side.  A decent number of people are in the office today because their OEM counterpart(s) are off, which makes it an easier day at work.  Basically we want to time our vacation days when the OEMs are in and work when the OEMs are off. 

Its a small consideration, but a consideration.

49 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would love to sign JV for 2020, assuming he hits free agency. 

Was thinking the same thing. If we are able to compete by 2020, and the staff needs some mentoring, JV (if not outrageous in price) could possibly help here and hopefully be a decent SP as well... I am aware of his top 5 CY vote kicking in (for the 2019 season) for a new 2020 contract as well.

Also, CGranderson, as you mentioned previously, might be a good target to help in 2018-19 (if reasonably priced). The young players will need some player mentoring during this upcoming time... The 2018 -19 drafts will be very important as well - hopefully land a blue-chipper or two. Scouting cannot be emphasized enough here, IMHO.

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not in today.  Cleveland fan would be more unbearable the normal.

My son goes to school just outside of Cleveland and pretty much they show Indian games every night on the community TV in the dorms, and he has taken some crap from being a Tigers fan with the Indians being good right now.

Today will be murder for him.

7 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Agree on both.  I'm not sure about either's ability in a rebuild, but we are going to find out about Avila unless the Tigers are sold off.

Maybe Tom Selleck is really bored and is looking to buy something. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You work for an OEM, right?

I am on the supplier side.  Lots of people are in the office today because so many of their OEM counterparts are off, which makes it an easier day at work.

Basically we want to time our vacation days when the OEMs are in and work when the OEMs are off.  Its a small consideration, but a consideration.

Yes, an OEM.  Ha ha. I just shared that with my boss.

We've had quite a few people take the early retirement package offered this summer to then go work for a supplier they signed PO's with.

The suppliers I work with are non production so it's not critical to assembly plants or anything.  Just data.  

Bear in mind, I've been with suppliers my entire career.  The career guys with a lot of interactions with the OEMs are the ones who picked up on that strategy.  We try to tell the kids who hire in.  Some listen, some don't.

EDIT: Nobody would take a vacation to miss major events in a program.  I'd just rather work these days that bookend the holiday weekend and take a four day weekend in August or April or October or something.

4 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

When I woke my son up and told him this morning he cried. I cried last night.  Even if they had won a world championship when they had one of those golden opportunities this still would've happened.   The fact that they did not makes this hurt even more. 

2011 haunts a little bit more now, doesn't it?

I thought about sending a message to the kid's teacher that she might be a bit off today, but school is one of her zen places, so its probably good for it to happen when it did.

I woke up and made sure she was getting ready for school.  She was awake and she asked me if I heard about the Astros.  I had no idea why she was smiling, I was completely caught off guard.  So I asked what was up.  She had heard that Houston was playing the doubleheader on Saturday and assumed that the wife's aunt & uncle would be able to go back home after being evacuated (probably not true, but they will be fine despite what they may have lost).  I just kind of nodded and told her to get ready for school.  Then I heard sobbing 5 minutes later, heard the wife ask her what was wrong, and I knew then what the problem was.  I just walked into her room and gave her a hug and told her things would be ok.

The agony and ecstasy of things at 6:30am.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My son goes to school just outside of Cleveland and pretty much they show Indian games on the community TV in the dorms.

Today will be murder for him.

On the flip side, its football season, so nobody around Cleveland will be paying much attention to baseball anymore.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

On the flip side, its football season, so nobody around Cleveland will be paying much attention to baseball anymore.

Do they have a football team in Cleveland? 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I would love to sign JV for 2020, assuming he hits free agency. 

Wouldn't that be something?

Just now, Keepleyland2 said:

Do they have a football team in Cleveland? 

That's what amazes me.  The baseball team has had its stuff together much more so than the football team for years.  The baseball team has been the much better product lately.  And still, its a Browns' town.  Maybe that's a credit to its football fans.  But where are the baseball fans?  I don't know.

7 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Maybe Tom Selleck is really bored and is looking to buy something. 

He's too busy pitching reverse mortgages.

I can see it coming, years from now people will ask,

"Do you remember where you were the day Justin Verlander was traded?" 

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

He will return to Michigan post-career and run on a D platform as a pro-defense/pro-union congressman. 

You just can't help yourself.

So freaking upset. I knew it was probably coming, but it didn't ease it any when it finally did. I've said it a million times, but there was NO return that could justify trading JV. This isn't a salary cap league, you're basically giving away the only reason to watch the Tigers because you don't want to pay him. Eff the Illitch kids. I dunno if any of these kids end up being good, I don't even care. It's probably no better than 50/50 that either will provide as much production as we'd get from the last few years of JV's contract. 

I wanted to watch JV pitch the rest of his career in Detroit and then see the statue built for him. I don't expect I'll be buying tickets for a game the next 3-4 years at the least. And if that earlier mention of the DeVos family comes to fruition I will no longer be a Tigers fan period. 

This is a sickening day to be a Tigers fan. And it doesn't even matter what the return is (which seems rather lackluster when you don't even get their top prospects).