Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

And really, we should probably see if there is anyone out there that will give up something good for castellanos. Although he would be a guy that I think is worth keeping. 

I don't want Fulmer to be shopped. 

I think the system is in a place now that 2020 is probably a reasonable target to hope for. 

We will have a top five pick next June, and possibly a top 3 pick in June 2019. 

Oh I think we're higher than top 3 in June 2019

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

So, I guess Lynn Henning talked Verlander into it.  

Nice.

I was gonna say something along those lines last night, but was tired and forgot to hit post. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

I would love to sign JV for 2020, assuming he hits free agency. 

It would be great if he could retire a Tiger. Like I posted earlier, I wonder what his relationship will be like with this organization in the future.

20 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It is going to look even better once Kinsler is dealt. Might as well trade Iglesias, too. 

I was thinking about this on the drive in.

Kinsler traded is a no brainer.

Iglesias is close to a no brainer, but I suppose if there is virtually no interest for his services, they would hold onto to him for next year and hope a ss gets injured along the way to make him more attractive as a trade target.

Curious to see what they do with Castellanos.  Not sure if there is a market for him either.

So with social media you get to see everyone's reactions and I've already narrowed it down to 2:

1) Shock but acceptance that it was the right thing to do

2) Shock and utter disbelief and 'I'm never watching them again!' as if there was any concrete value in keeping him

I'm upset they did it but from the mindset of being upset that they had to do it.   Many other mistakes led to this. But at this point in time it is absolutely the right thing to do.  Like a wife finally having to divorce a man she still loves but won't quit drinking and gambling away everything.  You hate to see it but it was the right thing to do.

Statistically, most pitchers go on a steady decline after about 33-34. Very, very few are really dominant past that time. Nolan Ryan comes to mind. Is Verlander in that category? I don't think so. I certainly think he can have a couple of good years, but it's more likely than not that he simply won't be close to what he once was. 

My only concern about this situation is that the guy doing the rebuilding doesn't really know what he's doing. 

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Spot on and exactly what my kid told me.  Well, OK, maybe the latter part isn't true.  But that's part of the rub of following sports.  Its sometimes to root for the laundry when they move a player that you're all in on.  And I'm pretty sure Verlander was that guy for a lot of Tiger fans.  He was for me.  It'd have been wonderful to see him finish his career as a Tiger.  But this juncture, it doesn't make sense for him or the Tigers.  As much as that might sound rational,.... meh.  I don't know how the end of that sentence was supposed to go.

I know have a bit more of an understanding of why I found Texas Rangers stuff in the garage when I was a kid.  Dad had a mini revolt when Willie Horton was traded.  I hated seeing Granderson traded.  This stings much, much more.

Well said. I know the trade makes sense, but that doesn't make it any easier to take.

I also think there is no way Avila gets fired at least for a couple of years, though I would be surprised if Ausmus returns. IMO, you don't allow Avila to trade everyone for prospects and then immediately fire him. You have to be willing to wait it out to see how many of them pan out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Statistically, most pitchers go on a steady decline after about 33-34. Very, very few are really dominant past that time. Nolan Ryan comes to mind. Is Verlander in that category? I don't think so. I certainly think he can have a couple of good years, but it's more likely than not that he simply won't be close to what he once was. 

My only concern about this situation is that the guy doing the rebuilding doesn't really know what he's doing. 

Clemens too, but he had help...

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not happy with the return.  Not happy at all.  They needed to get one NOW guy.   At least one.      Disgusted with Al Avila.  Disgusted with Chris Illitch.   Please sell the team.  PLEASE.  

You ***** that Holland won't make deals and tank, now you're bitching when Avila does it?  At his age and with is contract, they weren't going to get a premium return.

thats a pretty weak haul for verlander unless the ptbnl is one of their top 10 prospects- which it wont be.

the cubs gave up more for quintana.  in fact, i liked our haul for wilson/avila better.

1 minute ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I also think there is no way Avila gets fired at least for a couple of years, though I would be surprised if Ausmus returns. IMO, you don't allow Avila to trade everyone for prospects and then immediately fire him. You have to be willing to wait it out to see how many of them pan out.

How much of it is allowing Avila to trade for prospects, and how much of it is "Your orders are to cut payroll, reduce costs, and save money because I (Chris) don't care about baseball, I'm just looking at this from a purely financial standpoint"?

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

thats a pretty weak haul for verlander unless the ptbnl is one of their top 10 prospects- which it wont be.

the cubs gave up more for quintana.  in fact, i liked our haul for wilson/avila better.

I don't know if it's weak but it's uninspiring.  

6 minutes ago, Kacie said:

You ***** that Holland won't make deals and tank, now you're bitching when Avila does it?  At his age and with is contract, they weren't going to get a premium return.

The problems I have with Holland is that he keeps signing older players when they have some good young talent.    The problem I have with Avila is I think he could have done better than this.  I know Dombrowski would have.   I guess I'm spoiled that way.     The Astros were desperate.  When they didn't make moves on July 31st, the fan base got antsy and the players weren't happy and the team just fired a bunch of people........you take advantage of a team like that, but Al didn't.     And these young players, maybe Perez gets to the majors but I am betting we never see a meaningful game from the other two.     

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Verlander is one of the few I think might be in the Nolan Ryan category, actually.

I agree. 

3 minutes ago, BoomGaspar said:

How much of it is allowing Avila to trade for prospects, and how much of it is "Your orders are to cut payroll, reduce costs, and save money because I (Chris) don't care about baseball, I'm just looking at this from a purely financial standpoint"?

Well, in that case, he did what he was asked, and definitely doesn't deserve to be fired...

6 minutes ago, BoomGaspar said:

Because they are selling.   They don't really have much financial stake in that stadium like they do with LCA.   

Man if a guy like JV is not a legacy player these days I am not sure if the term applies anymore.  I know it's a business...it has ALWAYS been a business.

I guess the lesson for todays kids...Do NOT get too attached to your favorite player.

28 minutes ago, Oblong said:

1) Shock but acceptance that it was the right thing to do

This is what I have experienced at water cooler conversations. I work with smart people despite their inability/refusal to replace the toilet paper rolls.

18 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Quintana is what 10 years youngers and on a much better deal.

The GM situation........Whouda thunk it,  the Lions have BY FAR the best GM in town.   Think about that. 

Al Avila is weak.  He did not get the best returns he could have from the D-Backs, Cubs and Astros and you all know it.  The developmental staff he was in charge of can't get the best out of their prospects. 

Ken Holland is stuck in yesteryear trying to goose a few more years out of has-beens while he has some actual fruit he lets rot on the vine in Grand Rapids and he keeps signing the same type of player

Stan Van Gundy is in a no-win situation.  The NBA is a five team league with 25 feeder teams.  Can't blame him for that.  The NBA is awful.   

Bob Quinn - gets a  win-win deal with Stafford that keeps him here for what will be a very reasonable price for a top flight QB - opens up cap space, gets rid of deadweight and hasn't been Lionized yet.  

27 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Ryan is one of Verlander's favorites.  A little bit of irony that Verlander goes on to one of Ryan's former teams.

It's a helluva spot for Verlander to land, too.  With that current team and farm system.  For Verlander's sake, if he ages gracefully, this will be a very good career move for him.