Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

I woke up this morning to see the notification on the trade, I'm not particularly happy about it, but when Mr I died I had that feeling of a firesale. Looking at all the trades we ended up with all prospects and no veteran players, I think we could've got a veteran or 2 that could come in and help the team while it's in rebuilding mode

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I will be curious to see, over time, what his relationship will be with the Tigers and Detroit. 

The thought of Verlander pitching against the Tigers just dawned on me.  It's still difficult to remember sometimes that they are in the American League now.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I blame the Zimmerman signing.

It is a colossal waste of resources.

I have felt for years the Tigers were reliving all the mistakes the Yankees made when The Boss was alive. Like the Yankees, I know all the deals were well intended. The Yankees sobered up some after George passed and began the slow road to recovery. This is where the Tigers are headed. It will take time. I would much prefer the Tigers draft well and develop their players well as opposed to trying to buy their way forward. Sure, adding a piece here and there from the outside is part of the game. But the past years decisions are now weighing on the organization big time.

Seeing JV go really is tough because he really was a Tiger from the ground up. Tough day to be excited about Tiger baseball. Guys like him don't happen very often and knowing he was traded because the organization was so irresponsible makes it really hard to deal with.

16 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The thought of Verlander pitching against the Tigers just dawned on me.  It's still difficult to remember sometimes that they are in the American League now.

That's one of the first things that crossed my mind. I can see him recording his third no-hitter against Detroit.

5 hours ago, sabretooth said:

This isn't something where I'm going to wake up tomorrow and think better about it.  

This is a fundamental part of modern sports that I really f****** hate; the idea that these guys are just changeable parts and it's all some kind of f****** bottom line business.

It's not something that I am ever going to like.

IF this team ever gets back to playing championship baseball I'll like that, but I'm still not going to like this trade or any trade like it, no matter how it plays into their future success.

There are very few players that I care to see stay on any team until they retire, and JV is definitely top on that list.

Spot on and exactly what my kid told me.  Well, OK, maybe the latter part isn't true.  But that's part of the rub of following sports.  Its sometimes to root for the laundry when they move a player that you're all in on.  And I'm pretty sure Verlander was that guy for a lot of Tiger fans.  He was for me.  It'd have been wonderful to see him finish his career as a Tiger.  But this juncture, it doesn't make sense for him or the Tigers.  As much as that might sound rational,.... meh.  I don't know how the end of that sentence was supposed to go.

I know have a bit more of an understanding of why I found Texas Rangers stuff in the garage when I was a kid.  Dad had a mini revolt when Willie Horton was traded.  I hated seeing Granderson traded.  This stings much, much more.

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

This sucks, as outside of Trammell and Yzerman I'd say JV is my 3rd favorite Detroit sports star ever (Fidrych and Billy Sims would be up there). But if it had to happen, I can't think of a AL team I'd rather see him go to. The thought of him in a Yankees, Red Sox, Indians or Jays jersey would sicken me. 

Doesn't this trade make guys like that stand out a bit more?  I mean, especially the Whitaker & Trammell combo.  When you think about the positions that they played, and how much they interact with each other, and to see them on the field together for 2 decades?  Maybe its bias, but the closest you can get to that in our lifetimes is probably, what, Biggio & Bagwell?  Is there anything else even close to it in baseball?  Posasa & Williams & Jeter & Rivera I guess.  But neither of those combinations followed the connected at the hip careers that Whitaker & Trammell had.

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

That's one of the first things that crossed my mind. I can see him recording his third no-hitter against Detroit.

Well, I hope it comes against Cleveland in the playoffs.  Father-in-law was telling the kid 2 days ago that her favorite player was washed up and no good anymore.  ABC.  Anybody But Cleveland now.

50 minutes ago, tigerfanatic said:

I woke up this morning to see the notification on the trade, I'm not particularly happy about it, but when Mr I died I had that feeling of a firesale. Looking at all the trades we ended up with all prospects and no veteran players, I think we could've got a veteran or 2 that could come in and help the team while it's in rebuilding mode

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Yeah you don't want any veterans when going into rebuild mode. 

I'm sentimental and wanted him to finish his career here but in reality... how many of the HOF pitchers in our lifetime stayed with one team?  The only one I can think of is Jim Palmer

Booooooooooooo

Does anyone know which of Perez stats on B-R are actually correct? The combined line it shows where he's 19 and striking out 8 per 9 as a starter between A and AA sounds like a great return, the individual statistical lines it shows where he's a 19 year old who is striking out 7 per 9 as a reliever sounds worthless.

I'm assuming based off the scouting reviews of him it's the good stat line that's real. I hope so. The catcher looks worthless and the outfielder is a lottery ticket. I'm hoping we got at least one guy who's actually producing in the minors.

2 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I'm sentimental and wanted him to finish his career here but in reality... how many of the HOF pitchers in our lifetime stayed with one team?  The only one I can think of is Jim Palmer

It's very difficult in today's game for any player to stay with one team for their entire career. 

1 minute ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yeah you don't want any veterans when going into rebuild mode. 

Not 100% in on this. Contract woes aside, maintaining a thread of continuity is not a sin. Fulmer, the most successful Tiger starter, and Verlander developed a good relationship. From what I gather through my readings the past two seasons, Verlander has been somewhat of a mentor for Fulmer. A very young team can definitely benefit from having a seasoned and succesful player in the clubhouse, especially with Verlander's reputation. I believe this would hold true with any professional team entering a major transition period.

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

Not 100% in on this. Contract woes aside, maintaining a thread of continuity is not a sin. Fulmer, the most successful Tiger starter, and Verlander developed a good relationship. From what I gather through my readings the past two seasons, Verlander has been somewhat of a mentor for Fulmer. A very young team can definitely benefit from having a seasoned and succesful player in the clubhouse, especially with Verlander's reputation. I believe this would hold true with any professional team entering a major transition period.

Of course. But those types of guys are not the ones you want to get back in a trade when you are rebuilding. 

4 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Booooooooooooo

Does anyone know which of Perez stats on B-R are actually correct? The combined line it shows where he's 19 and striking out 8 per 9 as a starter between A and AA sounds like a great return, the individual statistical lines it shows where he's a 19 year old who is striking out 7 per 9 as a reliever sounds worthless.

I'm assuming based off the scouting reviews of him it's the good stat line that's real. I hope so. The catcher looks worthless and the outfielder is a lottery ticket. I'm hoping we got at least one guy who's actually producing in the minors.

The "reliever stats" are misleading. Houston has a stupid development programs where their starters each go 4 inninngs the same day in the minors. So two starters pitch in the same game.

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Yeah I was responding to the point about taking veterans back in trades. Keeping Verlander, for all the reasons you listed is fine. If you trade him its silly to take Vance Worley back.

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Of course. But those types of guys are not the ones you want to get back in a trade when you are rebuilding. 

True

I am very interested to see where these new guys slot into our top prospect lists. Perez is going to be the top guy. I think Daz and Rogers will be in the top 10. 

And the top 10 looks pretty good now. 

It is going to look even better once Kinsler is dealt. Might as well trade Iglesias, too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yeah I was responding to the point about taking veterans back in trades. Keeping Verlander, for all the reasons you listed is fine. If you trade him its silly to take Vance Worley back.

Gotcha ?

I am loving the 2020 sound of Perez, Manning, Burrows, Faedo, and Funkhouser baby. These guys are studs. We already have some damn good 2020 pitching laying around. The best move by AA so far. Not even close.

I am a bit shocked to hear this news. And very sad. Despite a couple times thinking he was done.

Hopefully the guys we get in return make this a great deal.

I just wish smarter moves were made in the past. I was hoping for JV to be a lifetime Tiger. 

By putting on a great show the second half, JV once again helped this franchise by them able to get three good prospects.

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I am very interested to see where these new guys slot into our top prospect lists. Perez is going to be the top guy. I think Daz and Rogers will be in the top 10. 

And the top 10 looks pretty good now. 

It is going to look even better once Kinsler is dealt. Might as well trade Iglesias, too. 

And really, we should probably see if there is anyone out there that will give up something good for castellanos. Although he would be a guy that I think is worth keeping. 

I don't want Fulmer to be shopped. 

I think the system is in a place now that 2020 is probably a reasonable target to hope for. 

We will have a top five pick next June, and possibly a top 3 pick in June 2019.