Jump to content

Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

Recommended Posts

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, Tenacious D said:

Think of all of the near misses along the way, too, for JV. 

I think I read that Ryan had 12 1-hitters to go with his 7 no-hitters.

FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:20 AM, Oblong said:

and with the player making the choice and the HOF confirming (since they get the final say now) as a fan I take that to mean he's relegating his time with Detroit to a lower status... that's his right and if he wins more Cy Youngs, throws no hitters, and wins WS with another team then I can't argue against it... it just stings a little.

It's like a spouse passing away after 25 years of marriage, then the surviving spouse remarries, lives another 10 years, then decides to be buried with the new spouse rather than the one they started life with.

 

How hot is the second wife?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How hot is the second wife?

She's pretty hot....

still married though so two chips have to fall 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How hot is the second wife?

think Jorge Soler vs Tiger pitching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

She's pretty hot....

still married though so two chips have to fall 

There is something to be said about waiting it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:
On 9/3/2019 at 9:20 AM, Oblong said:

..then decides to be buried with the new spouse rather than the one they started life with.

 

How hot is the second wife?

Cannot be all that hot if already buried!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a strain of thought that seems to go like this:

- Paying good players was a bad thing because when Chris Ilitch took over the team, he apparently forgot that winning baseball teams are expensive rich boy toys and not bottom line businesses, with rare but irrelevant exceptions, since we lack the generational FO talent to havr our winning and affordable payroll too.....apparently, Chris didnt want to believe this, so we as fans shouldnt like good players who are beyond their controlled years because we have to conform our likes/dislikes to whatever the mentality of the owner is, even if it might mean having a ***really*** bad and/or losing team more often than not through the Mike/Chris era (when all is said and done at some point in the future).

 

- we should be happy that we suck, and we should want the team to lose as much as possible for as long as possible until we assemble enough top 5 draft picks to luck into a good enough roster so that the team may be able to not have to lose all of the time..and might even win in a fashion that is morally acceptable to the salary scolds and meets the accounting expectations of the owner;

- we should *even* be happy that our good players are succeeding elsewhere. That is the logical extension of the first two bullet points.

Sports is supposed to be about playing hard, competing and yes, winning.  it's supposed to be an escape from the bottom line reality of daily work life.   If I have to bring a green eyeshade mentality and a set of accounting ledgers to my easy chair or to the stadium seats in order to appreciate the game, then I probably won't be able to appreciate it as much as I did when those concerns were, paradoxically enough, limited to my fantasy baseball team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand this is apostasy to many, but I'm not thrilled for JV and JD and Max and Nick and Eugenio and Jose and whomever else who are killing it for other teams instead of my team now. I'm agnostic to their performances for other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I understand this is apostasy to many, but I'm not thrilled for JV and JD and Max and Nick and Eugenio and Jose and whomever else who are killing it for other teams instead of my team now. I'm agnostic to their performances for other teams.

I don't really care much about the others beside JV, just because JV is going to the HOF so everything that happens in his career is going to have more significance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the other side of that fence. I see the guys as people and not just athletes and as Tigers I form an attachment to them, especially guys like Verlander who gave everything they had to help the Tigers win. So I am happy for him. I could care less for the other non-Tigers players on those teams. But for JV, and yes, JD, Porcello, even Kinsler I am happy they got their rings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't really care much about the others beside JV, just because JV is going to the HOF so everything that happens in his career is going to have more significance.

Scherzer is probably Hall of Fame bound as well, although his standing among Tigers fans is different from Verlander's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leflore said:

I'm on the other side of that fence. I see the guys as people and not just athletes and as Tigers I form an attachment to them, especially guys like Verlander who gave everything they had to help the Tigers win. So I am happy for him. I could care less for the other non-Tigers players on those teams. But for JV, and yes, JD, Porcello, even Kinsler I am happy they got their rings. 

I like Verlander as a public figure. He’s pretty smart and funny and comes across as a real person. I like that he has had scrapes with the media and with Baseball on various issues, and that he appears to speak his mind freely and fearlessly. He doesn’t seem to be into the relentless personal brand management that most athletes seeking to keep fans at arm’s length are into. Of course, as a hundred millionaire mature athlete Verlander’s more immune to career damage from fallout than are most of his contemporaries, but then again, Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez are even richer and everything they do is filtered through the prism of their phony baloney personal brand management strategies. Verlander is 180 on the radius from that, and I like that about him. I don’t have a personal relationship with him so I simply don’t feel any personal stake in his performance anymore, because he’s doing it for some other team and not the team in which I have a lifelong fan investment. That’s just my feeling about it, nothing more. I was just following on sabretooth’s post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I like Verlander as a public figure. He’s pretty smart and funny and comes across as a real person. I like that he has had scrapes with the media and with Baseball on various issues, and that he appears to speak his mind freely and fearlessly. He doesn’t seem to be into the relentless personal brand management that most athletes seeking to keep fans at arm’s length are into. Of course, as a hundred millionaire mature athlete Verlander’s more immune to career damage from fallout than are most of his contemporaries, but then again, Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez are even richer and everything they do is filtered through the prism of their phony baloney personal brand management strategies. Verlander is 180 on the radius from that, and I like that about him. I don’t have a personal relationship with him so I simply don’t feel any personal stake in his performance anymore, because he’s doing it for some other team and not the team in which I have a lifelong fan investment. That’s just my feeling about it, nothing more. I was just following on sabretooth’s post.

good take - pretty much where I am as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I care about JV and RickP because they came up as Tigers and performed well here.   They both left on pretty good terms and haven't been arses (to my my knowledge) to the D.   Nick left on kinda crappy terms, has run his mouth and either gave little effort here or has increased his focus elsewhere.  JD I like but didn't have the long term connection to. 

Kinsler, Price, Upton, Max, Eugenio, etc just never built the connections here, at least for me all of them don't mean much more to me than any other random MLB player.   Honestly I'm already more attached to VReyes, Lugo, Jake Jones and H.Castro than any of them.

One of my great hopes as a Tiger fan is that JV comes back here for a year or two as an encore on a GOOD team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like players that are entertaining.  If they can do something extraordinaire, like a pitcher striking out a lot of players, or a batter hitting tons of home runs, a baserunner stealing tons of bases, or even a fielder making a spectacular catch/throw, then I'll like them.

I don't like jerks.  If it is revealed that a player is a total jacka**, then my admiration for said player goes down drastically.  The opposite is true too.  I don't think Goodrum is that talented of a player, but the fact that he is a good person and role model that helps the community makes it easier to watch him play.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I like Verlander as a public figure. He’s pretty smart and funny and comes across as a real person. I like that he has had scrapes with the media and with Baseball on various issues, and that he appears to speak his mind freely and fearlessly. He doesn’t seem to be into the relentless personal brand management that most athletes seeking to keep fans at arm’s length are into. 

I agree with this.  I have always enjoyed his personality.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chasfh said:

I understand this is apostasy to many, but I'm not thrilled for JV and JD and Max and Nick and Eugenio and Jose and whomever else who are killing it for other teams instead of my team now. I'm agnostic to their performances for other teams.

I am more interested in what they do than thrilled for them.  I like following Verlander's career.  If he had never played for the Tigers, I would still enjoy watching his career.  The fact that he played for the Tigers makes me even more interested.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, September 05, 2019 at 10:19 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think I read that Ryan had 12 1-hitters to go with his 7 no-hitters.

FWIW.

12 one-hitters and 18 two-hitters.

Bob Feller, who had three no-hitters, also had 12 one-hitters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I am more interested in what they do than thrilled for them.  I like following Verlander's career.  If he had never played for the Tigers, I would still enjoy watching his career.  The fact that he played for the Tigers makes me even more interested.    

Exactly. I follow Verlander's career nowadays the same way I follow deGrom, or Kershaw, or Greinke ... or Scherzer, nowadays.

That doesn’t mean he (or Scherzer) means nothing to me anymore. Verlander was a Tiger for over a decade, after all, and I want him to go in wearing a Tigers hat. But as much as I love contemplating his Tiger years, I am personally disconnected from his career going forward. He’s doing it for someone else. It’s not the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm genuinely happy for Verlander. I can't keep things as objective as you guys

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,639
    • Total Posts
      2,910,425
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...