Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

Saw this in the SI MLB Preview issue I got in the mail today—that’s right, I get magazines in the mail still, don’t judge me—and the first article is about the rapid embrace of technology by teams, featuring our friend as a case study within:

Justin Verlander is 36 and broke into the big leagues in 2005, two years before the iPhone. Yet since he joined Houston in a trade on Aug. 31, 2017, he has become as enraptured with technology as any millennial.

Immediately after the trade, the Astros had Verlander throw with the Edgertronic and Rapsodo, tools he never had with the Tigers. The camera revealed that Verlander was “showing”  his slider to hitters too early by having it pop up out of his hand. He changed his hand position to stay behind the ball longer, creating the desired effect of having his slider look like a fastball as it left his hand. The Rapsodo device revealed that the metrics on his two-seam fastball—spin, break and path—were so poor that it recommended that Verlander stop throwing the pitch. Verlander immediately ditched the two-seamer, which is designed to favor movement over pure velocity.

In 48 starts with Houston, including the postseason, Verlander is 27-11 with a 2.41 ERA.

And that’s why Verlander is getting two more years at $33 mil per year.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The camera revealed that Verlander was “showing”  his slider

I was pretty much convinced that hitters were seeing a spiked finger on his change - leading him to have to abandon it a few seasons ago. There was a report this season he was working on a new change this spring. I always thought he was a better pitcher when he was using the change more than the slider  - at least until batters (apparently) figured it out.

Well, just in the last few seasons there has been a huge spike in breaking stuff, especially sliders, now that pitchers will shave a tick or two off the thing to pick up a few hundred spins on it.

55 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well, just in the last few seasons there has been a huge spike in breaking stuff, especially sliders, now that pitchers will shave a tick or two of the thing to pick up a few hundreds spins on it.

As a general proposition, when a slider hangs, the speed differential from the FB is small enough that a hitter looking FB can hammer it. When a curve or change hangs, I think the pitcher has a better chance of the speed differential locking up the hitter or the hitter pulling it foul, even on a poorly located pitch unless the hitter was guessing off-speed or the pitcher can't throw a change without telegraphing it. Of course it's true that a well thrown slider is kind of that ultimate weapon kind of thing - virtually un-hittable and un-takeable. But there is that big downside risk that comes with that huge upside. With HR's dominating run scoring the way they do, I wonder the margin for error with sliders is less than it once was?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The Rapsodo device revealed that the metrics on his two-seam fastball—spin, break and path—were so poor that it recommended that Verlander stop throwing the pitch

This one is curious. My recollection is that very early in his career, JV talked about throwing 2 and 4 seam FBs, and people argue terminolgy the around whether all two seamers sink and that all  "sinkers" are not two seam fastballs,  but given all that,  it is notable that in his years in Det when I was watching his charts on Brooks, they never ID'd anything JV threw as a sinker and his pitch charts and his fastball break scatter patterns never showed differentiated lobes that you'd expect from two separate grips - more like JV has always used a continuum of fastball grips/options.

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

shoot, by then jose king will be 24 and ready to contribute!

The perfect age to trade him away for the next rebuild.

I was really hoping things would have rounded into shape by the time he hit FA and we'd be able to resign him as the vet in an otherwise young and up coming rotation.

Oh well.  Continue to build that Hall resume JV, hopefully he goes in with a D on the cap.

1 hour ago, Grander Guy said:

I was really hoping things would have rounded into shape by the time he hit FA and we'd be able to resign him as the vet in an otherwise young and up coming rotation.

Oh well.  Continue to build that Hall resume JV, hopefully he goes in with a D on the cap.

JV will finish his career as a Tiger.

Feel free to use this information to wager.

16 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I agree with this.  The Astros are JV’s midlife crisis, hot girlfriend.  He’ll get it out of his system and come back home and be the Kenny Rogers to the new generation of Tigers starters in 2022.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I agree with this.  The Astros are JV’s midlife crisis, hot girlfriend.  He’ll get it out of his system and come back home and be the Kenny Rogers to the new generation of Tigers starters in 2022.

Just like when Ken Griffey, Jr. eventually went back to the Mariners.  

He can show the team how to use the new electronic equipment that they bought off the Astros after they discarded it after 5 years and moved on to something else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oblong said:

He can show the team how to use the new electronic equipment that they bought off the Astros after they discarded it after 5 years and moved on to something else.

I've seen that software, it's written in Fortran.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I've seen that software, it's written in Fortran.

Not Cobol?    Fortran with the punch cards was a nightmare......

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 12:58 PM, bobrob2004 said:

Just like when Ken Griffey, Jr. eventually went back to the Mariners.  

Cue JV, snoring in the clubhouse between innings. 

On 3/23/2019 at 7:39 PM, LooseGoose said:

Why would JV have any interest in being a Tiger again? Especially considering the circumstances surrounding his exit. 

47 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Why would JV have any interest in being a Tiger again? Especially considering the circumstances surrounding his exit. 

?  He almost rejected the trade and left on the best of terms.

He preferred to stay in Detroit but due to the front office’s negligence in throwing money away on costly and unproductive contracts he knew the org preferred he move. Front office people at his residence as the deadline ran down to the end trying to move him has to be something he hasn’t forgotten. He could have axed the trade but I believe he saw the writing on the wall. 

As far as leaving on good terms, I believe it would be more accurate to say he left on Detroit’s terms. Because of the financial ditch they were in, they preferred he accept the trade which at the last hour he did. I’m not even close to believing he would come back at the last of his career just because he was a Tiger. I would like to be wrong here but I don’t see it. 

4 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Not Cobol?    Fortran with the punch cards was a nightmare......

Cobol was too new.