Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

There was a time that we thought we'd be stuck with both Justin's, suffering from poor performance and unmovable contracts.  

There is hope for Jordan Zimmerman.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

The pitcher is nice bit the other two are not very interesting to me..... which sucks because we need better positional prospects.

And I'm not suggesting that Avila should have gotten a lot more just saying that this isn't a very inspiring haul.

Cameron is very intriguing. Someone posted his numbers in the second half this year. Over his last 250 ABs at A- he's posting a 958 OPS. For a guy who also can play CF well above average (according to the scouts) that's at least promising. And he's still only 20, so not too old for that league. 

Morning after, still sad to see JV go, but that's the way it works in today's game. It's time for the Tigers to reload, and it might have been sadder watching JV wasting his talents on a team destined to lose 90+ games these next two years.

After an extended run like the Tigers had, a major reload is inevitable. That said, the Mr. I and DD years were all about winning now. Ilitch would spend big for FAs/extensions, but were cheap at the margins, and never aggressive enough in the international market - at least for my tastes.

Hopefully, they've at least got the start of a solid core for the next winning team. And this time, when they start winning, they keep doing all they can to keep the pipeline fresh with talent. 

Scanning the reports this morning, I've seen a few experts, including the prospect guy at FG call Rogers "the best defensive catching prospect I’ve seen, a polished receiver and cat-like ball-blocker with a plus arm." Something to like about all three of these kids.

1 hour ago, hammb said:

See that's just it. I don't think it IS necessary. Does it maybe make us a better team in 3 years than we would be if we just let JV stick around? Sure, it probably does. But I don't think it's necessary either. Draft well, develop the talent. I find it impossible to believe that picking up these 3 prospects was the difference in the 2020 team winning or not winning.

Again, it's not that I have a problem with the business aspect. I had no problems moving Price, Upton, Cespedes, etc. I get the business aspect of the game. I disagree that the business aspect or winning is always the primary concern for me, as a fan. JV is not just another player. He is the best player the Tigers have drafted in my lifetime. He is the best pitcher the Tigers have had in my lifetime. I expect those statements to remain true for a VERY long time. Watching him pitch has more value to me than a few wins in 2020, and I think a well run organization could build a future winner while still letting me watch him pitch in the meantime.

If I were Avila, my first offseason move would be to fire Chadd and his underlings and make ridiculous, over the top offers to the best of the scouting and development folks in the Houston front office. That's where it must start. 

55 minutes ago, Casimir said:

39ab47fe_milb.jpg

This is Jake Rogers' bbref photo.  They couldn't find a better photo to use?  This just screams of douchenozzle.

He has a very punchable face.

Four years ago.  Our last moment of legit upward trajectory glory

I loved the Hakaa

34 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

There was a time that we thought we'd be stuck with both Justin's, suffering from poor performance and unmovable contracts.  

There is hope for Jordan Zimmerman.

Murder is both morally and legally wrong.

6 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Why is his neck longer than his face? 

Peeping tom?

42 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Cameron is very intriguing. Someone posted his numbers in the second half this year. Over his last 250 ABs at A- he's posting a 958 OPS. For a guy who also can play CF well above average (according to the scouts) that's at least promising. And he's still only 20, so not too old for that league. 

If Cameron can translate this last 250 at-bats into an ongoing improvement, and/or if he is as good as his dad was then I'll be very happy, of course.  At this point he kinda reminds me of Aaron Hicks, which is OK, but nothing special.

19 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Four years ago.  Our last moment of legit upward trajectory glory

I loved the Hakaa

Then Ausmus was hired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

39ab47fe_milb.jpg

This is Jake Rogers' bbref photo.  They couldn't find a better photo to use?  This just screams of douchenozzle.

afaaafb33d2090f0e336e7cef4ec0254.png

4 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Then Ausmus was hired.

This debacle is too big for a single person to claim all the credit.

Just now, 1776 said:

Sorry, it's my thing.  Some people rail about contracts, some people about arm strength, some people ***** and moan about the signing hot dog guy, and some people like me simply cannot stand Bradley Q. Ausmus.

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

Well, the real problems in Detroit started with the blight growth that occurred in the 1920s as the auto industry replaced primary resources as the main employer in Michigan.  Racial divisions caused by the stresses of post-Reconstruction African Americans moving to Northern cities where they rubbed elbows with recently arrived immigrants from Europe also caused tensions.  Soon, it was World War III and the Russian use of the Nude bomb was a problem when nobody could keep their clothes on.  People moved away in droves as it was too darn cold to go out without a jacket.

37 minutes ago, irvink said:

MLB pipleline updated their rankings

perez is the new 1

daz 6

rogers 8

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=det

Man, they put Stewart and Rogers ahead of Funkhouser?

Gerber, Hill, Soto and Alexander ahead of Long and Lugo?

I would hope that Funk, Long and Lugo are better than that.

3 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Sorry, it's my thing.  Some people rail about contracts, some people about arm strength, some people ***** and moan about the signing hot dog guy, and some people like me simply cannot stand Bradley Q. Ausmus.

Is your dislike of him strictly related to his managerial work? Did you dislike him as a player? Just curious.

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Man, they put Stewart and Rogers ahead of Funkhouser?

Gerber, Hill, Soto and Alexander ahead of Long and Lugo?

I would hope that Funk, Long and Lugo are better than that.

I think Paredes is too low and Tyler Alexander shouldn't be top 20.

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Is your dislike of him strictly related to his managerial work? Did you dislike him as a player? Just curious.

I'm willing to put his playing days, his family, his alma mater and his method of eating asparagus completely aside as long as he ceases tormenting the beloved ol' English D.

Just now, Tenacious D said:

I think Paredes is too low and Tyler Alexander shouldn't be top 20.

What about Lugo?  He's not an exciting prospect but to put him below Derek Hill?  That's the kiss of death.