Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

Nah, Verlander will be hired to manage the Tigers in 2029, for PR reasons to guide the team through an anticipated rock bottom season after 15 years of rebuilding.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

It's not like we traded a Cy Young winner.

That's because voters only care about wins.  Snell led the league with 21 while Verlander only had 16.  It's not like anyone with 10 wins will ever win the Cy Young.  

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

That's because voters only care about wins.  Snell led the league with 21 while Verlander only had 16.  It's not like anyone with 10 wins will ever win the Cy Young.  

Everyone who knows baseball also knows that wins are the most important stat for a starting pitcher.  

EVERYONE !!!

Felix Hernandez won the 2010 Cy Young with a 13-12 record, so voters do look beyond wins (even before DeGrom).  I think Snell's 1.89 ERA got him a lot of votes.  I don't believe there was a slam dunk candidate this year.  I would have gone with Verlander, but I don't have a problem with the Snell selection.  

I think the writers/voters were given directive of some sort from MLB particularly on the NL vote. You can't tell me that 29 out of 30 (97%) of the writers voted for a guy who won 10 games without some coaching, education, teaching of some sort. . They just aren't smart enough to do that. They couldn't have gotten smart all at once.

Since no NL pitcher won 20 games .. I think the voters placed more value on the ERA.  If Max had won 20 with all the same other stats ..I think he'd have received a few more first place votes.

I know they are different sets of voters but what I find interesting is that Verlander had MVP votes but Snell didn't.  That tells me that team performance still matters to voters for MVP but not Cy Young.  

11 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I think the writers/voters were given directive of some sort from MLB particularly on the NL vote. You can't tell me that 29 out of 30 (97%) of the writers voted for a guy who won 10 games without some coaching, education, teaching of some sort. . They just aren't smart enough to do that. They couldn't have gotten smart all at once.

They have been getting smarter for a while. The voters are all beat writers and not many of them care about pitcher wins anymore. It's not like the Hall of Fame where Rob Parker probably still has a vote.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

They have been getting smarter for a while. The voters are all beat writers and not many of them care about pitcher wins anymore. It's not like the Hall of Fame where Rob Parker probably still has a vote.  

I agree with this.  Bartolo Colon's 2005 Cy Young win is probably the last "old school" win.  If that voting were to be redone, Johan Santana would easily win.  

On 11/16/2018 at 12:35 PM, bobrob2004 said:

I agree with this.  Bartolo Colon's 2005 Cy Young win is probably the last "old school" win.  If that voting were to be redone, Johan Santana would easily win.  

Hey, 37 years ago Rollie Fingers won the Cy Young Award and was voted the MVP with just six wins, along with a whopping 28 saves and 78 innings pitched.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Hey, 37 years ago Rollie Fingers won the Cy Young Award and was voted the MVP with just six wins, along with a whopping 28 saves and 78 innings pitched.

.....and an epic mustache.