Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

559 posts in this topic

Total calamity.  The front office now has a total loser's mentality.  Everybody accepts that the Tigers were going to lose JD Martinez and Justin Upton.  Well, if Mr I was still alive and healthy...he would've signed them both and doubled down next offseason.  Next year will be a total disaster, and I don't see any free agents choosing the Tigers for the next few years at least.  Attendance will plummet next year as there is no hope for this club.  Let's just hope Avila and Ausmus will be fired in the offseason, that's the only saving grace.  But, the next manager will just be a newbie again because the club is nowhere near .500 caliber.

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

None of that has anything to do with Avila or the current regime.  Yes they have had a horrible time developing players but that was under different people, if anything Avila has done a good job of revamping that aspect of the organization.  There have been a number of guys in the minors that have taken a step forward this year.   Also what makes you think Dombrowski would have done any better?  What Dombrowski did best was trade overhyped prospects, he didn't do that great of job for trading for them.  

I look at this team, to me, it was over the moment Dombrowski exited. Granted, he was heading for greener pastures, but I think a combination of the going-for-broke impatience of Mike I and the talent that DD gave up to feed that impatience led to this day today. And he knew it.

Not to take anything away from DD, but where we are today has far more to do with his tenure than anything Al Avila has done so far in his tenure.

great splits on cameron. i was kind of hoping he'd be the 3rd prospect coming back, but i guess getting perez and tucker/fisher was too much. people tend to jump off a prospect bandwagon if they don't light it up early under the spotlight, so i thought he'd be a bit underrated.

at least it's easy to project the future rotation now:

fulmer(?)/perez/burrows/faedo/manning/funkhouser/long

i've nearly forgotten about long and J-Up already, how machiavellian of Al!

Despite Norris' disaster of a year I'm not writing him off yet either.  I still hope that he can get his crap together and be a contributor for years to come. 

Curious what the system rankings will look like by end of year - that's what we have to look forward to now -- here is a very unscientific list based on the multiple lists out there now...

1. Perez

2. Manning

3. Faedo - listened to Jim Callis recently talk about how he had talked to many scouts/FO types kicking themselves for passing on Faedo in the draft. He looked like a potential number one pick coming into the draft, then had to recover from that injury, then looked like that player after the Tigers picked him. Would not be surprised if he looks like our clear one by next summer.

4. Burrows

5. Candelario - he and burrows look close

6. Cameron

7. Paredes

8. Stewart

9. Funkhouser

10. Rogers

11. Hill

Again, just some speculation from looking at the lists. And there are many more interesting prospects after this... Soto, Lugo, Gerber, Grayson, McMillan, Baez, Laborut, Garcia, King and more. 

Something to build on. As others have said, the status quo was getting us nowhere. 

8 minutes ago, azzurri said:

Total calamity.  The front office now has a total loser's mentality.  Everybody accepts that the Tigers were going to lose JD Martinez and Justin Upton.  Well, if Mr I was still alive and healthy...he would've signed them both and doubled down next offseason.  

And like this year, they would have been a best-case 83 win team.

At least Kenny Holland isn't GM...

that top 7 looks pretty neat for a change. usually we have to squint after the top 1 or 2 guys.

From Josh Norris at BA:

I wrote about new #Tigers prospect Franklin Perez early. Still stands as one of the best arms I've seen all year.

Perez missed time with a knee injury, but at his best he commanded three plus or better pitches. Absolutely filthy. #Tigers

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/franklin-perez-dominates-high-class-debut/#Z2pRs1IYPCokgkPp.97

From John Manuel at BA re: our new prospects:

If that is the haul, that remains a significant haul. and Astros still have a pretty strong farm system after that trade.

Paredes is still the guy I'm most interested in, he may not have the highest floor but I think out of anybody he is the one guy that could become a true superstar.   

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Paredes is still the guy I'm most interested in, he may not have the highest floor but I think out of anybody he is the one guy that could become a true superstar.   

Agree, I like Paredes more than where he's been ranked and see him as the highest ceiling bat in the system. Daz' second half improvements, athleticism and pedigree have me pretty excited too.

This is a bummer for sure. Hard to trade Legacy talent. Even after Upton trade I was hopeful for next year thinking Verlander and Fullmer with a Zimerman and Miggy revival and maybe JD or someone good using Uptons money. It must be they really believe Zimmerman is toast and Miggy is damaged goods. If so it will be butt ugly.But either way I am all in. 

In the meantime I will check out the big "A" and hope Verlander can become a Folk story in Houston leading them to a championship as a rare bright spot during their recovery. He's their ACE from day one as I see it and he will get another shot at the Indians, Yankees and maybe stick it in DD's ear. Heck maybe it will be Verlander v Upton. So the playoffs will still be fun and as always its BASEBALL !!

This sucks, as outside of Trammell and Yzerman I'd say JV is my 3rd favorite Detroit sports star ever (Fidrych and Billy Sims would be up there). But if it had to happen, I can't think of a AL team I'd rather see him go to. The thought of him in a Yankees, Red Sox, Indians or Jays jersey would sicken me. 

1 person likes this

This sucks.

Pretty good return though- particularly given JV's contract and how he looked most of the 1st half.

So, the Tigers have arguably 7 top 100 or borderline top 100 prospects now before adding 1 to 2 more in next year's draft (Manning, Faedo, Burrows, Perez, Cameron, Paredes, Candelario).

I suspect Kinsler, Iglesias, Greene and Wilson will all be traded this off season/by next year's deadline. Their payroll next year will be in the $100 million to $110 million range and they'll lose 100 games. Give or take a few.

Go 2020.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/249819104/top-10-college-prospects-for-the-2018-draft/

By Jim Callis / MLB.com | @JimCallisMLB | August 21st, 2017 
+
 0 COMMENTS

The 2018 Draft crop is shaping up as the best since '11, a once-in-a-decade collection of talent that included Gerrit Cole, Trevor Bauer, Dylan Bundy, Anthony Rendon, Archie Bradley, Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez, George Springer and the late Jose Fernandez in the first 14 picks.

While the high schoolers tantalize more with their upside, which is normally the case, the collegians are better than usual. Led by Florida right-hander Brady Singer, a trio of pitchers stand out the most, but there's also depth with position players as well.

"It's a pretty good college group," an American League scouting director said. "The high school group is strong and the college group is solid. It's going to be a good Draft."

Now that Team USA's collegiate squad and the summer leagues have concluded play, here's how MLBPipeline.com ranks the best college prospects for 2018. We'll present a high school Top 10 later this week.

1. Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
For the third straight time, a Gators pitcher will enter the year as the top college prospect and a strong favorite to go No. 1 overall. After playing a major role in Florida's 2017 College World Series championship, Singer once again will look to carve up hitters with a 92-96 mph fastball with nasty life and a slider with which he can alter the depth and speed at will.

2. Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida
McClanahan redshirted in his first year with the Bulls while recovering from Tommy John surgery, then came back this spring and maintained a 93-96 mph fastball. He needs to further refine his secondary pitches and command, but he's a lefty with a big arm.

3. Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
Unlike Singer and McClanahan, who took the summer off, Mize pitched for Team USA -- but got shut down with a tired arm after having the same thing happen during the spring. When healthy, he offers the best combination of stuff (lively 93-96 mph fastball, devastating 83-88 mph splitter) and command of any college pitcher.

4. Nick Madrigal, 2B/SS, Oregon State
Scouts have to get past Madrigal's small stature (5-foot-7, 161 pounds), but they do so pretty easily because he has outstanding instincts in all phases of the game and good tools as well. He is a premium hitter with some gap power and plus speed, and defensively he'll become either a respectable shortstop or a quality second baseman as a pro.

5. Griffin Conine, OF, Duke
The son of former All-Star Jeff Conine, Griffin led the Cape Cod League with nine homers and scouts voted him the top prospect in the prestigious summer circuit. He provides left-handed power to all fields, manages the strike zone well and fits the right-field profile with his pop, athleticism and solid arm.

6. Jeremy Eierman, SS, Missouri State
Jake Burger became the first Bears position player to get picked in the first round this June, and Eierman should become the second next year. His right-handed power is his calling card, and he also has soft hands and a strong arm that could make him a plus defender at third base if he lacks the quickness to remain at shortstop.

7. Travis Swaggerty, OF, South Alabama
Swaggerty reached double figures in homers (11) and steals (19) during the spring before serving as a catalyst atop Team USA's lineup with Madrigal. He is an on-base type with plus speed and flashes of power, and he covers a lot of ground in center field.

8. Seth Beer, 1B, Clemson
Beer is the most polarizing player in the college crop. Scouts who like him point to his 1.157 OPS and 34 homers in two years with the Tigers and say he has the best combination of hitting ability and power in the 2018 Draft. Those who don't note Beer's .631 OPS in two summers with wood bats with Team USA and his lack of athleticism and defensive value.

9. Ryan Rolison, LHP, Mississippi
The Rebels' best starter as a freshman this spring, Rolison continued to shine in the Cape League and is on course to become a first-rounder as a sophomore-eligible. He can miss bats with both his low-90s fastball and his sharp curveball, and he continues to throw more strikes as he gains experience.

10. Logan Gilbert, RHP, Stetson
Another potential frontline starter from the program that produced Corey Kluber and Jacob deGrom. Gilbert rivaled Rolison as the Cape's top pitching prospect after winning Atlantic Conference Pitcher of the Year honors during the spring. He has size (6-foot-6), velocity (93-97 mph) and life on his fastball, plus deception and strike-throwing ability, though he needs to develop the rest of his repertoire after being more of a position player in high school.

Jim Callis is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow @jimcallisMLB on Twitter. Listen to him on the weekly Pipeline Podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

This is the HS class..

http://www.baseballamerica.com/high-school/east-coast-pro-top-10-performers/#BElZY3uKf87C3coF.97

East Coast Pro goes beyond what an ordinary showcase entails. Supervised by scouts, players spend the week with each other, staying in the same hotels with teammates. Pitchers—even if they pitch only once—stick around for the duration of the event, embracing a team-first culture and simulating professional baseball more than a showcase. The six teams each represent a particular area of the country; scouts from each area volunteer to organize and coach the teams. All the players on hand are prospects, but all of them did not perform equally in their week at Tampa's Steinbrenner Field. These 10 stood out on the field in the 2017 edition of ECP.

1. Ethan Hankins, RHP
Forsyth Central High, Cumming, Ga.

All eyes were focused on the Aug. 10 finale, which pit the Georgia-based Orioles, with righthanders Hankins and Kumar Rocker, among others, against the Blue Jays (predominantly Florida players), with some of the top arms in the class involved on both sides. Entering in the bottom of the sixth inning and throwing three perfect frames, Hankins turned in the most dominant outing that scouts have seen thus far from a pitcher in the 2018 class. He worked at a rapid tempo from a half windup, peppering the zone with 94-97 mph fastballs inside, outside, up and down. He struck out the first six batters he faced and needed just 37 pitches to record nine outs, showing a 70 fastball on the 20-80 scale, plus control and a plus curveball in this outing.

2. Xavier Edwards, SS
North Broward Prep, Coconut Creek, Fla.

Edwards has been compared with 2017 shortstop Nick Allen as a well-balanced middle infielder with very quick hands. At just 5-foot-8, he'll face similar questions, but he is a better runner and may have a better hit tool.

3. Landon Marceaux, RHP
Destrehan (La.) High

Perhaps the best pure pitcher in the class, Marceaux showed feel for four pitches and his 12-to-6 curveball is one of the best you'll see.

4. Mason Denaburg, RHP/C
Merritt Island (Fla.) High

A prospect on the mound and at catcher, Denaburg regularly sits in the mid-90s with his fastball and spots it to both sides of the plate.

5. Ryan Weathers, LHP
Loretto (Tenn.) High

Weathers, who has plenty of polish, struck out five over three innings, working off a low-90s fastball with tremendous running action.

6. Ryder Green, OF
Karns High, Knoxville

Green was the first player to homer at the event and had one of the loudest batting practices of any player, giving Tennessee a pair of intriguing prospects on both sides of the ball, along with Weathers.

7. Bryce Reagan, SS
Souhegan High, Amherst, N.H.

New Hampshire gave scouts a gem in Reagan, who hit from both sides of the plate and made several impressive plays up the middle, flashing above-average arm strength.

8. Carter Stewart, RHP
Eau Gallie High, Melbourne, Fla.

Stewart's curveball is the best breaking pitch in the class, and he continues to use it to mystify high school batters. Pair that with a low-90s fastball and good luck squaring him up.

9. C.J. Willis, C
Ruston (La.) High

Willis is a physical lefthanded-hitting catcher who showed solid pop in the batter's box and a strong arm from behind the dish.

10. Jaden Hill, RHP
Ashdown (Ark.) High

Hill showed the best changeup of any pitcher at ECP, and mixed in what some scouts thought was a top-three breaking ball as well.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/high-school/east-coast-pro-top-10-performers/#c74pCvvbMIWckmmx.99

Who did the white sox get from the cubs for Quintana in comparison to the tigers?  Just asking, could we have gotten more in the off season or maybe even next year at the trade deadline?

I had a feeling this deal would still happen, and I tried to stay up past the deadline to make sure. I fell asleep at 12:09, after reading a tweet from James Murphy about the new LCD album being out. 

Woke up to this. 

It's weird. I was so against this trade being made (not *this* trade but the idea of this type of trade). I wanted Verlander to pitch for the tigers until he never pitched again. 

Then when the news first broke last night I felt nothing. Chatted with another poster here, sending him text updates because he was out. Neither of us immediately recognized the names involved, except Daz, and the initial reaction was that the package seemed bad, and its scary Avila would have taken it. Then we actually looked up the guys, and suddenly we are frustrated with JV for declining it. 

I was pretty surprised that JV would refuse a trade to a legit World Series contender with a lot of young and exciting talent. He's probably going to pitch in three straight playoffs starting this year. I was convinced that it was the Astros that actually scuttled the deal. 

I also thought JV was holding our for dodgers or Cubs, even if it meant waiting for this offseason. Then I got frustrated because that would mean a worse return. 

This is a great baseball move for the tigers. It still sucks that JV is gone. I will miss his starts. 

I hope they still have Verlander shirseys for sale at the game today. 

2 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Who did the white sox get from the cubs for Quintana in comparison to the tigers?  Just asking, could we have gotten more in the off season or maybe even next year at the trade deadline?

Honestly, this seems like pretty much the best possible deal they could have gotten for him, including this past offseason, the next deadline, etc.

Knowing that this was inevitable.  This still hurts.  

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Anticipating the hot takes today.

Here is one.  Justin Verlander will take to Houston, wounded from Hurricane Harvey, pro-wounded warrior, and will be a local hero.  He will return to Michigan post-career and run on a D platform as a pro-defense/pro-union congressman. 

Sad, to say the least. JV was somebody that you felt like you personally knew having been in the organization so long.  I tried to stay up last night as well but went to bed thinking he would still be a Tiger today. This reminds you that this is nothing but a business at the end of the day.

JV and Kate were positive press for the Tigers. I'll miss them both for what they did through charities and the positive vibes they brought.

This is the one trade I didn't want to see. In my mind the heart of the Tigers is gone. 

Oh boy.  Bad morning for the kid, but I'm glad she found out at home before going to school and luckily I was home to try to console her.  Probably not the best time to be jumping into baseball and the Tigers full throttle like she has been.