Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

42 minutes ago, Longgone said:

From JP Morosi:

"By Verlander's count, that was the 10th different hypothesis he tested during film and bullpen sessions in April and May last season. On this date last year, his ERA was 4.87.

"If I go back and look at the things I tried, they all made sense [after] that," Verlander said. "Once I found the way the elbow tracked, I [realized], 'If I fix this, everything should fall into place.' And it did."

Verlander remembers the night when it all clicked: June 21 in Seattle. He was perfect through five innings and struck out a season-high 11 batters. Even though the Tigers lost, Verlander knew he was back. "

Except two starts later he recorded zero strikeouts for the first time since a Bush was president or something.  Bad luck to attend that game.

JV goes 6 against Boston, gives up 2, leaves with a one run lead, Astros BP gives up a couple of HRs.

22 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23617078/mlb-qa-how-gerrit-cole-unlocked-potential-dominate

Nice story about Cole, Houston's pitching coaching concepts with a few Verlander name drops.

That was a very good read. Thanks for posting.  Sounds like Pittsburgh is kind of lacking in the pitching analytics department.  

Jake Rogers awoke from a 2 month coma, hit 3 HRs last night. Has a 1.594 OPS in 6 June games. SSS

9 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Jake Rogers awoke from a 2 month coma, hit 3 HRs last night. Has a 1.594 OPS in 6 June games. SSS

He reads the forum.  He saw some criticism.  He knew he needed to start performing.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

He reads the forum.  He saw some criticism.  He knew he needed to start performing.

That and Siedel wrote about him.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:31 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

JV goes 6 against Boston, gives up 2, leaves with a one run lead, Astros BP gives up a couple of HRs.

Like old times for JV

Astros announce a rotation change - JV to start against the Tigers on 7/15.

43 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I hope he pitches when at Comerica.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

he's on a cold streak - has lost 2 straight for the 1st time this season. 

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

he's on a cold streak - has lost 2 straight for the 1st time this season. 

The Tigers will find a way to change his luck.

On 7/4/2018 at 7:57 AM, LooseGoose said:

I hate to get all drama llama, but I may need to boycott this game.  I'm honestly not sure I'll be able to handle it.  Yes, this wreaks of the maturity of an 8 year old, but the trade still stings.

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I hate to get all drama llama, but I may need to boycott this game.  I'm honestly not sure I'll be able to handle it.  Yes, this wreaks of the maturity of an 8 year old, but the trade still stings.

I'm sort of in the middle but will watch it, I still love JV but of course will root for the Tigers to win.

13 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I'm sort of in the middle but will watch it, I still love JV but of course will root for the Tigers to win.

No-hitter anyone?  The Tigers will have one of the weakest batting orders that he will see all season.  If Goodrum, Hicks, Castellanos and Candelario take the collar it's almost a guarantee.

6 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

No-hitter anyone?  The Tigers will have one of the weakest batting orders that he will see all season.  If Goodrum, Hicks, Castellanos and Candelario take the collar it's almost a guarantee.

Martinez homers twice.  The second one is whilst hitting righty.  Then Verlander plunks him in the next PA, pulls his World Series ring out of his back pocket and giggles uncontrollably.

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Martinez homers twice.  The second one isn’t whilst hitting righty.  Then Verlander plunks him in the next PA, pulls his World Series ring out of his back pocket and giggles uncontrollably.

I could live with that.

20 hours ago, Casimir said:

Martinez homers twice.  The second one is whilst hitting righty.  

VMart might not hit 2 more HR's total the rest of his career.

It's not really that much Verlander related but I was checking pitching stats earlier and I noticed that Verlander is worth about a 1.5 wins less than Sale at the moment despite pitching slightly more innings and having a better ERA.   It was bWAR which I was always led to believe was strictly ERA based so how could this be?  I'm sure it has something to do with park factors but a win and a half seems like quite a lot for just that.  That rates out to almost 3 extra wins on the season just because of the park he pitches in.  That doesn't seem right especially since Houston isn't exactly Petco or Oakland, that's a small stadium in its own right.  

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's not really that much Verlander related but I was checking pitching stats earlier and I noticed that Verlander is worth about a 1.5 wins less than Sale at the moment despite pitching slightly more innings and having a better ERA.   It was bWAR which I was always led to believe was strictly ERA based so how could this be?  I'm sure it has something to do with park factors but a win and a half seems like quite a lot for just that.  That rates out to almost 3 extra wins on the season just because of the park he pitches in.  That doesn't seem right especially since Houston isn't exactly Petco or Oakland, that's a small stadium in its own right.  

It is no longer strictly RA based.  It's more complex now. Some things that are considered are team defense and expected runs given up against the opponents a pitcher faced.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/about/war_explained_pitch.shtml

• Like 1

JV has also has a couple of weak starts recently, though he pitched very well in his last one. 

Another JV tidbit that I just noticed.  I wanted to see how his fWAR compared to Sale and looking at his page I noticed that aside from obviously 05 every year he has posted a fWAR of atleast 2.8(let's round up to 3 to make it sound better).  So that's 13 straight seasons of 3 wins or better to start his career.  That just seems remarkable to me, it seems like even the best pitchers have either that horrible year or injury plagued year where they are useless but he has yet to have that.  Even at his worst he was valuable.   

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Another JV tidbit that I just noticed.  I wanted to see how his fWAR compared to Sale and looking at his page I noticed that aside from obviously 05 every year he has posted a fWAR of atleast 2.8(let's round up to 3 to make it sound better).  So that's 13 straight seasons of 3 wins or better to start his career.  That just seems remarkable to me, it seems like even the best pitchers have either that horrible year or injury plagued year where they are useless but he has yet to have that.  Even at his worst he was valuable.   

I think Verlander is the most physically gifted power pitcher since Nolan Ryan, and it probably isn’t close. Of course that is still never a guarantee of what a guy does with it, but his talent should give him a huge leg up on having an extra-ordinary career.

14 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

VMart might not hit 2 more HR's total the rest of his career.

Stop trying to burst my fantasy.

Impressive that even after JV allowed 5 Earned Runs in 6 innings yesterday .. He still leads the majors with 0.84 WHIP .. tied at 2nd in the majors with .184 BAA .. and is 5th in the majors with 2.29 ERA.

However .. June was not vintage JV .. as it was his incredible April & May (plus 1st two starts in July) this year that he can credit for being among the top leaders in those categories.