Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Bartolo Freaking Colon? Can you even believe that?

Also maybe the only time it's ever been done by two pitchers who age totals 80 years!!

xD

18 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Bartolo Freaking Colon? Can you even believe that?

Also maybe the only time it's ever been done by two pitchers who age totals 80 years!!

xD

Yeah, that's not likely to be matched.

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

His Houston team mates not scoring for him any better than the Tigers did. 8 innings of one one-hit/one run ball and they can't get two for a win.

His average FB vertical break was 13 tonight. That's just ridiculous.

He always used to get off to bad starts when he was with the Tigers even in some of his great years.  So, maybe there really is something to his benefiting  from the Astros system.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He always used to get off to bad starts when he was with the Tigers even in some of his great years.  So, maybe there really is something to his benefiting  from the Astros system.  

well, at minimum I bet the Astros are not preaching 'pitch to contact' to him. xD

Seriously though - I have no idea how much JV has paid attention to his F/X data - his FB speed/angle rates in particular, but certainly last season it sure looked like he deliberately toyed with changing his arm angle early in the season to try and squeeze out additional velocity (old school concept), only to find himself getting hammered, which eventually led him back to his older arm angle (and some work on the slider as well) that lead to the great second half. If he never had before, I would think that the whole experience  - and sure - - maybe some some people in Houston, would lead him to realize that his spin rate and axis on the FB (new school concept?)  is more important than another mph or so if the cost is less effective spin.

I am so bitter Justin is not a Tiger.

So much more than Gardenhire is the Tigers manager or McCann being the starting catcher.

Which is saying something if you know me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm glad that we gave money to Jordan Zimmermann instead of Verlander or Scherzer

It was cool having two hall of fame pitchers and losing them both without winning anything tho

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

And maybe this is his bad start. Which means he'll only get better. On his way to another Cy Young? I would love to see it. I really hope the Houston SP lines up for JV to pitch at Comerica. Sell Out!!

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am so bitter Justin is not a Tiger.

So much more than Gardenhire is the Tigers manager or McCann being the starting catcher.

Which is saying something if you know me.

Let it go man.  Be happy for him.  Besides, I respectfully disagree.  Nothing is worse than having that little ******* toad as manager.

19 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

It was cool having two hall of fame pitchers and losing them both without winning anything tho

Interestingly, ..Justin Verlander (American League) and Max Scherzer (National League) were named their league's respective Players of the Week for last week.

18 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Interestingly, ..Justin Verlander (American League) and Max Scherzer (National League) were named their league's respective Players of the Week for last week.

Yeah, sure, go ahead and twist the knife that's stabbed our hearts.

Has any pitcher ever lost two pitchers who won MVP's in the same year for their new teams?

19 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I'm glad that we gave money to Jordan Zimmermann instead of Verlander or Scherzer

But we have the number one pick and one of the top 25 systems in the minors.  It's just a matter of time.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Has any pitcher ever lost two pitchers who won MVP's in the same year for their new teams?

JV

Scherzer

Price

Porcello

Man...some of those teams drastically under performed.

6 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

JV

Scherzer

Price

Porcello

They also got good years from Sanchez and Fister.   

Just now, tiger337 said:

They also got good years from Sanchez and Fister.   

I was going to add them, but they never really went on to do much after.  Porcello won the Cy Young, Scherzer is a beast...Price seems to be falling off, but was still one of the best lefties in the game when we had him.

We had Fister at his absolute best....I thought he was going to be a GREAT pitcher....even Edwin Jackson was a beast when he was here.

8 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

JV

Scherzer

Price

Porcello

Lets not forget some of the Tiger hitters since 2011 ..including Jhonny, Torii, Prince,  Yeonis, JD, JUp, Kinsler. 

9 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

IMHO, "under performed" is an understatement.

Truly hurts to suggest this ..but the 2 most common denominators since 2011 were/are .. Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez.

Leadership?  Ha ha.

Losing Verlander in that trade was out of necessity.  Losing Scherzer was just plain stupidity by the Tiger management.

It was truly the beginning of the end.

Billy Martin would have lighted a fire under those teams.  They would have won five World Series.  

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Billy Martin would have lighted a fire under those teams.  They would have won five World Series.  

Billy would have broken Valverde's arm long before he lost as many as he did, and probably would have had a knock down drag-out clubhouse brawl with Nathan that would have resulted in him leaving the team - so yeah - he probably would have done better....xD:DxD

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Billy would have broken Valverde's arm long before he lost as many as he did, and probably would have had a knock down drag-out clubhouse brawl with Nathan that would have resulted in him leaving the team - so yeah - he probably would have done better....xD:DxD

Justin Verlander 30 complete games.  

On 4/16/2018 at 2:20 PM, tiger337 said:

It's still early but Morton and Cole look like aces right now and both were struggling before getting to Houston, so I think there is something to Houston's scouting.  Of course Verlander was starting to get on track before heading there but maybe they did do something to turn him up another notch.