Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

I remember the Cubs were bragging about the great value they got with Quintana. Let's see who got the better value now. Oh and our trade with the Cubs is looking one sided right now. 

• Like 1

I don't normally pay much attention to the playoffs unless the Tigers are involved. That being said... 

I'd really like to see JV win it this year. He deserves it. 

The kid and I watched Verlander's game as soon as we got home.  I'm sorry,... we watched Verlander pitch during Altuve's game.  She turned on one of her kids/tweens shows or whatever garbage it is.  I told her what else was on, and she immediately changed the channel (good kid).  She mentioned how its "tough to see him in that outfit".  No doubt, kid.

And then I explained to her a little bit about Nolan Ryan, who was on TV a lot during the game.  I'm pretty sure he was much more interested in watching the game than being interviewed.  And I can't say that I blame him.

Juan Ramirez goes to Houston to complete the deal.  That's a little more than I wanted to give up. 

9 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Juan Ramirez goes to Houston to complete the deal.  That's a little more than I wanted to give up. 

I knew of him, but doesn't sound like a huge loss.

iirc people were higher on Paulino's projection when he was traded than this.

At TJ Maxx earlier and they actually had some Astros gear, i almost pulled the trigger on this nice pullover but it was too small.

I've never seen any non Detroit or big market teams there (Yanks, cowboys etc.) So I'm wondering if it had something to do with JV.

32 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Damn it's nice to see JV dominate in the playoffs. Go Astros!

It’s vexing for me.  Of course I like seeing him do well.  It’s just still tough to see it happening in another jersey.

The irony of this performance on the same day as the player to be named later is named.

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

Justin Verlander is the greatest

Nah, my father in law argued with me a couple of months ago that Verlander was washed up.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

It’s vexing for me.  Of course I like seeing him do well.  It’s just still tough to see it happening in another jersey.

The irony of this performance on the same day as the player to be named later is named.

Well he wouldn't be pitching right now if we didn't trade him! I like the Astros, especially their players, and it's easy to root for Houston in general this year.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This is legendary - the way he's pitched since the trade.   He was really good with us this year but he is determined now.   I am really pulling for him. 

Happy for him, sad for us.

6 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Well he wouldn't be pitching right now if we didn't trade him! I like the Astros, especially their players, and it's easy to root for Houston in general this year.

This sums up my feelings perfectly. If he had been traded to the Cubs, I'd almost certainly feel differently. It helps that the Astros are the closest MLB team to me now, too.

3 hours ago, Scottwood said:

The Astros might be the smartest organization in baseball. I'd like to see them win it all.

I really like the way they went out their complete tear down and rebuild, trusting the process and making smart decisions. If they are willing to spend some money, they can be good for a long, long time and hold on to some franchise players and develop a bit of a legacy. 

Interesting commentary on yesterday’s game.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/15/justin-verlander-astros-yankees-alcs

This stood out for me, however.....

Verlander, Gibson-like, piled up 13 strikeouts himself. One day three years ago, in the middle of a down year in which he would post a 4.54 ERA for the Tigers, Verlander was called into the office of manager Brad Ausmus.

I don’t see you throwing with conviction behind your pitches,” Ausmus said.

A surprised Verlander snapped back at him.

“I guarantee you can pick any pitch that I’ve thrown and I can tell you exactly what I was trying to do with it,” Verlander said.

The two men began to talk, and as they did, Ausmus figured out what truly was missing in his ace’s game: Verlander still was relying only on his instincts and observations to get people out, when an entire world of data was out there to help him. The conversation opened Verlander’s eyes and mind. He began seeking out pitch data, keeping his own hand-written statistics and notes, and visiting a pitching guru of modern data-based mechanics to learn about spin rates, release points and arm health.

When the Tigers traded Verlander to Houston Aug. 31, another world opened for Verlander. The Astros are one of the most forward-thinking, resourceful teams when it comes to analytics, and Verlander not only embraced it all, he also asked for more. The joke among the quants in the organization was that Verlander was the first guy to actually ask for more than the reams of information they already were crunching.

• Like 1

That was a Verlander game that was fun to watch.  And, any game with Altuve in it is fun to watch.  Ordinarily I don't pay any attention after the Tigers are out, but I'll probably tune in again for Verlander's next start.

Not only did he toss that game last night.  But to do it in front of one of his idols, Nolan Ryan.  I mean,....., to spin that gem in front of your idol,.... and the guy is sitting right behind the plate watching everything.