Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

559 posts in this topic

All the talk about Verlander having such a bad contract, but paying fair market value for a top 10 pitcher for only two seasons is actually a great contract with very little downside.

53 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Be strong if you open this link.....imagine being an Astros fan.

Justin Verlander dominant again as Houston Astros clinch AL West

Justin Verlander through three starts with the Astros
21 IP
0.86 ERA
10 H
26 K
3 BB

good.  I hope this somehow backfires on the Cubs and Dodgers, who really should have traded for him.  

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

good.  I hope this somehow backfires on the Cubs and Dodgers, who really should have traded for him.  

JD and JUp and JV are tearing things up with their new teams, and all I can say is 'well, duh."

baseball went full prospect / anti-salary mode the past year or two and it's kind of hilarious how every team has fallen in line with that. so much so that hardly anybody wanted to trade for no-doubt all-stars.

cubs at least tried, but they pulled the trigger too early with quintana. he is going to be fine, but he is no JV.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

JD and JUp and JV are tearing things up with their new teams, and all I can say is 'well, duh."

baseball went full prospect / anti-salary mode the past year or two and it's kind of hilarious how every team has fallen in line with that. so much so that hardly anybody wanted to trade for no-doubt all-stars.

cubs at least tried, but they pulled the trigger too early with quintana. he is going to be fine, but he is no JV.

Yeah, I said when the Cubs traded for Quintana that they paid too much for the cost savings when they are a team that doesn't have to worry so much about $/war. They probably could have given up less to get Verlander and had the better player, with the only cost being more money that they have to pay for the better pitcher. 

Maybe it will work out. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, I said when the Cubs traded for Quintana that they paid too much for the cost savings when they are a team that doesn't have to worry so much about $/war. They probably could have given up less to get Verlander and had the better player, with the only cost being more money that they have to pay for the better pitcher. 

Maybe it will work out. 

Yeah, the Cubs were dumb.

JV is a top 10 pitcher whose being paid like one. The only difference is he isn't locked in to a 6+ year contract like you'd have to pay to sign somebody of his caliber, so there is little risk associated with his contract.

I'm very happy for JV. As much as I hated to see him go, he did the right thing for himself and the Tigers. It's just a bummer this team was built so horribly that we had to trade away so many very good players.

1 person likes this

On 9/18/2017 at 1:50 PM, Sports_Freak said:

I'm very happy for JV. As much as I hated to see him go, he did the right thing for himself and the Tigers. It's just a bummer this team was built so horribly that we had to trade away so many very good players.

Look at it this way, though. It was built well enough in 2010 that we were able to keep Verlander up to this point. 

1 person likes this