Who is the Drizzle?

Justin Verlander Traded to Astros

557 posts in this topic

for Franklin Perez, Daz Cameron, and Jake Rogers.

Huge day, for better or worse, for the fans and franchise.

1 person likes this

Fenech first to confirm:

McCosky first to break the possibility:

In between there was a lot of lol:

Al Avila clearing the roster of anyone whose first name starts with 'J'

This is really heartbreaking for me,  I'm glad that it wasn't a complete salary dump and we got a couple guys that could help the team in the future but it doesn't make it that much easier.   JV was not only my favorite Tiger but favorite athlete.  I guess I can try to tell myself that maybe he'll be back here when his contract is up to coincide with when the Tigers are hopefully competing again.  

MLB Pipeline scouting reports:

Franklin Perez (Astros #3)

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 60 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 55 | Overall: 55

When Perez attended Carlos Guillen's training academy in Venezuela, the former All-Star initially stationed him at third base. He became a full-time pitcher a year later at age 15, showing enough promise that the Astros signed him for $1 million in 2014. Very advanced for his age, he was the only 18-year-old to make 10 starts in the Class A Midwest League in 2016.

Though he's just a teenager, Perez already demonstrates feel for four offerings. His most consistent pitch right now is his lively fastball, which sits at 92-94 mph, peaks at 96 and could add more velocity once he physically matures. His downer curveball projects as a future plus pitch, his fading changeup shows similar upside and his slider is developing nicely.

The athleticism that made Perez a prospect as a corner infielder has translated into an easy delivery that he repeats well. He throws a lot of strikes and commands the bottom of the zone. He has the upside of a No. 3 starter and is on pace to reach Houston before he turns 22.

Daz Cameron (Astros #9)

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 55 | Arm: 50 | Field: 60 | Overall: 50

As a high school sophomore, Cameron emerged as a candidate to go No. 1 overall in the 2015 Draft. In the next two years, scouts cooled a bit on the son of former All-Star and Gold Glover Mike Cameron, but he still landed a $4 million bonus as a supplemental first-round pick. He looked overmatched in low Class A in 2016 and for the first two months of 2017 before starting to get going at the plate in June.

With his compact right-handed stroke and line-drive approach, Cameron has the upside of a solid hitter with perhaps average power once he gets stronger and pulls more pitches. The Astros believe he's ready to start realizing that potential after smoothing out his swing and making mechanical changes to put him in a better position to hit. For what it's worth, his father didn't do much in his first four pro seasons and wound up playing 17 years in the big leagues.

Cameron has a chance to contribute in all phases of the game, standing out the most with his defensive ability in center field. He has good speed, outstanding defensive instincts and an average arm that should allow him to play all three outfield spots. He has some feel for stealing bases but also some room for improvement after getting caught in 29 percent of his attempts during his first two pro seasons.

Jake Rogers (Astros #11)

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 45 | Run: 30 | Arm: 65 | Field: 65 | Overall: 50

Undrafted out of high school because of his commitment to Tulane, Rogers developed into college baseball's best defensive catcher in three years with the Green Wave. He led NCAA Division I (58 percent) and the Cape Cod League (71 percent) in caught-stealing percentage in 2015, then erased 63 percent of basestealers as a junior last spring. Some scouts considered him the best defender at any position in the 2016 Draft, and the Astros were glad to get him in the third round.

Rogers' arm strength is merely solid but plays up a full grade because he makes such quick and accurate throws. Shutting down the running game is just one facet of his defensive brilliance. His agility and soft hands make him an excellent receiver who already has good feel for framing pitches.

While Rogers should make it to the big leagues on his defense alone, his bat will determine whether he becomes an everyday player. A career .233/.333/.309 hitter at Tulane who had a so-so pro debut, he has looked much better in 2017 after improving his timing and

They needed to get back at least one high upside prospect, and it looks like Perez might be that. I wonder how many dollars it took?

This is the more or less official end of an era in Tigers baseball.

Just now, chasfh said:

They needed to get back at least one high upside prospect, and it looks like Perez might be that. I wonder how many dollars it took?

Passan is saying $10M

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I'm guessing $16 million

It's sad to see Verlander go. I hope he gets a ring there. 

2 people like this

Gone:

Justin Wilson RP

Justin Verlander SP

JD Martinez OF

Justin Upton OF

Alex Avila C

Back:

J Candelario 3B

Dawel Lugo IF

Sergio Alcantara IF

Jose King IF

Greyson Long SP

Alex Paredes IF

PTBNL

Frankly Perez SP

Daz Cameron OF

Jake Rogers C

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

did Verlander just nix this 

Sounds like he was hesitant at first, but then agreed. 

2 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

pope morosi. too bad for the cubs :grin::grin::grin:

Basically, this just tells me he wanted out of Detroit no matter what. 

So, as of this morning the Tigers now have a minor league system and at least two pretty good picks in the next draft. Unfortunately they have a 100 loss ball club at the ML level.

Not happy with the return.  Not happy at all.  They needed to get one NOW guy.   At least one.      Disgusted with Al Avila.  Disgusted with Chris Illitch.   Please sell the team.  PLEASE.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Not happy with the return.  Not happy at all.  They needed to get one NOW guy.   At least one.      Disgusted with Al Avila.  Disgusted with Chris Illitch.   Please sell the team.  PLEASE.  

Why did they need one NOW guy? so they only lose 102 next year instead of 103? 

3 people like this

With Upton and Verlander gone, their draft position should certainly improve the rest of the season.

Rebuild could go pretty quickly if a few things go our way. Great to see us get a haul like this for Verlander without eating too much salary either way.