cruzer1

Angels nearing a trade to acquire Justin Upton

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

They are going to bad if he's released or not. And if they don't have insurance it doesn't matter.

Yeah. Regardless, I see no way he is part of the active roster next season. Whether they have to pay him or not means almost nothing now. 

2 minutes ago, diaspora04 said:

Upon consideration, I agree with your interpretation.

angels and upton were talking 2 years ago but angels didn't have $$$, according to a tweet i saw. so i'm sure upton is happy with this. and i think he was more likely to opt out with the tigers than he will be with the angels.

but yeah, brier rabbit is a great way to look at it from upton's perspective.

i'm not sure the tigers could have gotten much more anyways, getting out from a $88M OF in this market for a team that is rebuilding is it's own benefit.

The Tigers will spend the rest of 2017 playing their games wearing oak barrels with suspenders.

-picture-id216018

8 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

the astros return would be obvious to me: decent upside SP and OF that are around AA (martes/fisher or equivalent), and 2 lesser guys--1 high upside low level guy, and probably a low upside high level guy.

at that point i'd say the farm system and payroll would not be disastrous for a rebuilding team. and you still have a few other trade chips in greene, ian, iggy, as well as a season or so to try and turn nick into a better chip.

and if they really wanted to rebuild/push it more to 2020 and beyond than 2019, you have fulmer.

Both Martes and Fisher would have to clear waivers.  Kyle Tucker/Forrest Whitley or bust.

19 minutes ago, irvink said:

Source: #Tigers in active discussions on Justin Verlander trade possibility. They are making clear to teams that this is a rebuild. @MLB

#Astros have remained in contact with #Tigers on Justin Verlander over last 48 hours, source says. @MLB @MLBNetwork

morosi

So Avila finally admitted this team needs a rebuild, too bad its two years too late.

Upton basically matched his career averages during his Detroit tenure.  Considering that 1/3 of his time as a Tiger was that nasty slump to begin 2016, that's not too shabby.

1 minute ago, cruzer1 said:

Both Martes and Fisher would have to clear waivers.  Kyle Tucker/Forrest Whitley or bust.

i believe they could ptbnl them, if houston keeps them off the 25-man roster for the rest of the season.

8 minutes ago, diaspora04 said:

Upon consideration, I agree with your interpretation.

Yeah - it works for both sides so it's all good.

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Long to Erie.

Burrows to Mud Hens?

burrows needs more time, hasn't been lighting up erie at all. not that there's anything wrong with that, A to AA is typically the biggest jump in the minors.

11 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Martes and fisher could be ptbnl if they remain in the minors for the rest of the season. 

13 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Upton basically matched his career averages during his Detroit tenure.  Considering that 1/3 of his time as a Tiger was that nasty slump to begin 2016, that's not too shabby.

Timing is good - Upton has 21K in his last 45 PA - could be headed into another epic slump?:P

He has looked really bad the last couple of days, maybe waiting for word.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Timing is good - Upton has 21K in his last 45 PA - could be headed into another epic slump?

Yes. Tomorrow the calendar changes

38 minutes ago, irvink said:

Source: #Tigers in active discussions on Justin Verlander trade possibility. They are making clear to teams that this is a rebuild. @MLB

#Astros have remained in contact with #Tigers on Justin Verlander over last 48 hours, source says. @MLB @MLBNetwork

morosi

If this is their idea of a full rebuild, they seem to be missing the part about getting *top* prospects back in their moves. :dead:

Avila is doing a nice job of rebuilding system depth, but so far he hasn't brought in a single player with  potential to anchor a lineup or a rotation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If this is their idea of a full rebuild, they seem to be missing the part about getting *top* prospects back in their moves. :dead:

Avila is doing a nice job of rebuilding system depth, but so far he hasn't brought in a single player with  potential to anchor a lineup or a rotation.

So far we haven't traded anyone to get back that type of a return. 

• Like 1

End of an era.  It is over.  It has been over for a few months, but I was kind of hoping they would attempt to stay relevant the next couple years.

Weird timing...I am assuming they are expecting the allure of the new arena across the street to help boost sales of tickets to Tigers games the next few years?  I am not sure how that will help boost Tiger ticket sales, but maybe they have some studies or something.

They are spending all that money on a new complex right across the street that includes retail space that would get a boost from high ticket sales for the Tigers in the summer when the Wings and Pistons are not playing....and now everyone knows they are rebuilding...rebuilding teams typically do not sell as many tickets as competitive teams.  The timing just feels weird to me.

I just always assumed they would try to stay competitive during this stretch...maybe Upton just wanted out, but that does not explain all the rumblings on the other good players we have left.

1 minute ago, socaltiger said:

Does this mean JD is returning ?

Only if he is willing to play LF. 

Seriously though, even though every thing Avila is doing make sense on other grounds - mostly the money aspect, I do find it notable that each move also makes sense in terms of addressing all the structural issues with the way the current Tiger team was put together. JD was not a good RF, Upton was almost too good to play LF - would have been more valuable in RF (but didn't want to play there) where it would open a spot for a good bat no glove guy like a Stewart for example, who has no place to play as long as Upton was in left.

2 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

So far we haven't traded anyone to get back that type of a return. 

That is kind of the problem with trying to rebuild from where the Tigers were(roster wise) going into this season. 

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This simply hasn't been possible based on the guys they traded. 

JV gives them a chance. 

• Like 1