cruzer1

Angels nearing a trade to acquire Justin Upton

338 posts in this topic

I would expect more of a return for Verlander.  This is a disappointing (although understandable) return for JUp.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

I can see a retirement.

if the heart thing knocks him out, the tigers don't save any money.

Just now, Who is the Drizzle? said:

if the heart thing knocks him out, the tigers don't save any money.

Even if he retires?

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I can see a retirement.

Lose him, JV and Ian, trade Nick and Iggy and we're gonna be around Rays level of payroll. $30 million to Miggy and a bunch of scrubs. 

If J Up told them he was going to walk then props to him for letting them at least get something back.

2 people like this

Just now, Casimir said:

Even if he retires?

if the heart thing knocks him out he wouldn't have to retire, just sit on the 60-day DL for the season.

Just now, Keepleyland2 said:

Lose him, JV and Ian, trade Nick and Iggy and we're gonna be around Rays level of payroll. $30 million to Miggy and a bunch of scrubs. 

But then they can go out and sign Upton and MartinezJD and its not so bad.  Right?

Just now, Casimir said:

Even if he retires?

I think if he retires, he walks away from the money.  But he could also do the Prince Fielder (and maybe David Wright) thing and just go on the DL forever and still be entitled to get paid

if the heart thing knocks him out he wouldn't have to retire, just sit on the 60-day DL for the season.

Gotcha.  Didn't think about that.

1 minute ago, Keepleyland2 said:

30209.png&w=350&h=254

30209.png&w=350&h=254

Scrub.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Even if he retires?

No, a flat out retirement would be to forfeit the rest of his contract. If the heart thing is going to put him out of action, the Tigers could make him an offer to save part of his salary in return for him not having any training, rehab,etc., obligations over the last year.

31 minutes ago, kdog said:

Morosi: Source: Justin Upton determined he would likely opt-out after 2017 due to #Tigers rebuild; once he told club, trade talks picked up. @MLB

That was pretty kind of Upton to disclose.

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

But then they can go out and sign Upton and MartinezJD and its not so bad.  Right?

My dreams of the #1 pick are gonna come true...in 2019. 

At this point, guys, it really doesn't matter one bit whether the Tigers pay Victor 18 million next year or not. 

2 people like this

Just now, diaspora04 said:

That was pretty kind of Upton to disclose.

Of course it could also be a little B'rer Rabbitish as well. You tell the team you are going to opt out to get yourself traded to somewhere that you aren't going to be such a hurry to leave when your agent tells you there are no offers out there better than your contract.

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

No, a flat out retirement would be to forfeit the rest of his contract. If the heart thing is going to put him out of action, the Tigers could make him an offers to save part of his salary in return for him not having any training, rehab,etc., obligations over the last year.

I guess I don't care about the salary part anymore.  Its just time for new/different players on the field.  I'm not a fan of a full time DH who can only DH but hits like a middle infielder.  And with the Castellanos thing to play out, they need lineup/roster spots.  I think we can safely assume Castellanos's days at 3B for Detroit are over once Candelario is entrenched there.

1 person likes this

On the topic of Greene and wilson, it seems to me that many teams would happily add a relief pitcher under team control that had shown any sign of being decent. 

6 minutes ago, irvink said:

Source: #Tigers in active discussions on Justin Verlander trade possibility. They are making clear to teams that this is a rebuild. @MLB

#Astros have remained in contact with #Tigers on Justin Verlander over last 48 hours, source says. @MLB @MLBNetwork

morosi

the astros return would be obvious to me: decent upside SP and OF that are around AA (martes/fisher or equivalent), and 2 lesser guys--1 high upside low level guy, and probably a low upside high level guy.

at that point i'd say the farm system and payroll would not be disastrous for a rebuilding team. and you still have a few other trade chips in greene, ian, iggy, as well as a season or so to try and turn nick into a better chip.

and if they really wanted to rebuild/push it more to 2020 and beyond than 2019, you have fulmer.

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

At this point, guys, it really doesn't matter one bit whether the Tigers pay Victor 18 million next year or not. 

They are going to bad if he's released or not. And if they don't have insurance it doesn't matter.

good move, rather than lose Upton for nothing, AA gets a decent prospect. Wow the 2018 team is going to suck.

Just now, Shelton said:

On the topic of Greene and wilson, it seems to me that many teams would happily add a relief pitcher under team control that had shown any sign of being decent. 

tigers will ask a fair amount for greene. not quite at jwil's stock a month ago, but close.

for awilson, i would think a prospect that falls 15-30 or something.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Of course it could also be a little B'rer Rabbitish as well. You tell the team you are going to opt out to get yourself traded to somewhere that you aren't going to be such a hurry to leave when your agent tells you there are no offers out there better than your contract.

Upon consideration, I agree with your interpretation.

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

pretty much.

altho $18M is $18M, and if there's an actual budget number, al could go fishing for 1 year deals to flip at a deadline, or throw $$$ in more easily with a kinsler or verlander trade (if he's not dealt today) if needed.