cruzer1

Angels nearing a trade to acquire Justin Upton

338 posts in this topic

So, does this mean Stewart gets the bump to the active roster tomorrow?

We looked at tickets for a weekend game, and there were some close along the LF foul pole that my kid thought would be great.  She figured "J-Up" would throw her a ball.  Sorry, kid, it ain't happening.

Just now, Casimir said:

So, does this mean Stewart gets the bump to the active roster tomorrow?

We looked at tickets for a weekend game, and there were some close along the LF foul pole that my kid thought would be great.  She figured "J-Up" would throw her a ball.  Sorry, kid, it ain't happening.

Doubtful, although he has finished up strong at Erie.  I would expect Deuce up asap.

Astros are acquiring Maybin from the Anaheim Angels per Ken Rosenthal.

Morosi indicated that the Tigers are sending cash to Anaheim.

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

Astros are acquiring Maybin from the Anaheim Angels per Ken Rosenthal.

logical.

Just now, kdog said:

Morosi indicated that the Tigers are sending cash to Anaheim.

That's wrong.  The Tigers will receive either a ptbnl or cash with Long.

Morosi: Full deal, per sources: Justin Upton and cash (covering part of 2017 salary) to #Angels; Grayson Long and low-level PTBNL to #Tigers. @MLB

17 minutes ago, kdog said:

Tigers get Grayson Long from Anaheim.

I wonder if he is related to Ob?

1 person likes this

MLB pipeline's

Scouting grades: Fastball: 50 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

After a long season at Texas A&M, the Angels didn't let Long, their third-round pick in 2015, throw a whole lot during his summer debut, figuring he'd get a full season's workload in the following year. That proved to be wishful thinking as Long only managed 65 innings during the regular season because of injuries, though he did make up for some lost time in the Arizona Fall League.

Long has the makings of a workhorse-type starting pitcher, with a strong and durable frame and a solid three-pitch mix. He can pitch off of his fastball well, a pitch that will sit around 90, but he can reach back and crank up close to 95 mph at times. It plays up because of its life and because of his ability, when he's on, to locate it well. His secondary stuff needs to develop, but his slider will flash above-average and he does have feel for a decent changeup. Long struggled with his control particularly in the AFL, but that was more likely caused by his lack of work during the season.

Long threw half the amount of innings the Angels hoped he would in 2016, so a healthy 2017 has been key to him finding consistency on the mound, allowing him to reach Double-A. He still has the tools and body to develop into a solid Major League starter.

6 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

That's wrong.  The Tigers will receive either a ptbnl or cash with Long.

No, it's right. Tigers are covering some of upton's remaining salary. 

Just now, Shelton said:

No, it's right. Tigers are covering some of upton's remaining salary. 

That's fine. 

Just now, Shelton said:

How did Greene and Wilson clear waivers? 

I think I can see Wilson clearing.

I figured Greene would have been claimed.

FYI payroll next year (not including arbitation) now down to $115 million. That's about what the Braves spent. JV and a Victor retirement would clear another $50 million

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

How did Greene and Wilson clear waivers? 

wilson sucks, but maybe greene snuck through early in the month when he was maybe more of a project.

1 minute ago, Keepleyland2 said:

FYI payroll next year (not including arbitation) now down to $115 million. That's about what the Braves spent. JV and a Victor retirement would clear another $50 million

I can see a retirement.

Source: #Tigers in active discussions on Justin Verlander trade possibility. They are making clear to teams that this is a rebuild. @MLB

#Astros have remained in contact with #Tigers on Justin Verlander over last 48 hours, source says. @MLB @MLBNetwork

morosi

1 minute ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

wilson sucks, but maybe greene snuck through early in the month when he was maybe more of a project.

My recollection is that Greene was struggling with walks and inconsistency until he became the closer, so if he was put on waivers right around Aug. 1 he may have snuck through

6 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

MLB pipeline's

Scouting grades: Fastball: 50 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

After a long season at Texas A&M, the Angels didn't let Long, their third-round pick in 2015, throw a whole lot during his summer debut, figuring he'd get a full season's workload in the following year. That proved to be wishful thinking as Long only managed 65 innings during the regular season because of injuries, though he did make up for some lost time in the Arizona Fall League.

Long has the makings of a workhorse-type starting pitcher, with a strong and durable frame and a solid three-pitch mix. He can pitch off of his fastball well, a pitch that will sit around 90, but he can reach back and crank up close to 95 mph at times. It plays up because of its life and because of his ability, when he's on, to locate it well. His secondary stuff needs to develop, but his slider will flash above-average and he does have feel for a decent changeup. Long struggled with his control particularly in the AFL, but that was more likely caused by his lack of work during the season.

Long threw half the amount of innings the Angels hoped he would in 2016, so a healthy 2017 has been key to him finding consistency on the mound, allowing him to reach Double-A. He still has the tools and body to develop into a solid Major League starter.

He looks like he's hardly working in the video.