cruzer1

Angels nearing a trade to acquire Justin Upton

338 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I didn't say they they shouldn't trade veterans or take advantage of high draft picks.  What they have been doing the last few years wasn't working.  They failed.  So, it's time to start over.   

i'm just saying it's hard to get a steady stream of talent in without doing such things.

8 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

i'm just saying it's hard to get a steady stream of talent in without doing such things.

They could also not draft relievers with high picks, not trade good prospects for players like Simon and do a lot better with international signings...Veterans can certainly be traded, but when you have to trade most of your good veterans all at the same time, it means that your organization is not doing things right.  They failed.  I don't see the re-build as something exciting, but rather an act of last resort.  If I seem unusually pessimistic right now, that's the reason.  I am getting too old for that ****! Don't worry though I will have fun with the re-build next year.  Just can't get into it yet.  

1 person likes this

Just now, tiger337 said:

They could also not draft relievers with high picks, not trade good prospects for players like Simon and do a lot better with international signings...Veterans can certainly be traded, but when you have to trade most of your good veterans all at the same time, it means that your organization is not doing things right.  They failed.  I don't see the re-build as something exciting, but rather an act of last resort.  If I seem unusually pessimistic right now, that's the reason.  I am getting too old for that ****! Don't worry though I will have fun with the re-build it next year.  Just can't get into it yet.  

most prospects are garbage tho.

3 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

most prospects are garbage tho.

Most prospects don't make a significant impact at the MLB level.  That is why you need a steady stream of talent.  You are probably going to have more failures than successes, so you need a large sample size.  The prospect haul from the trades probably only scratches the surface. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy following their progress and figuring out which ones will make an impact.

18 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

doubt it'll be much. nor will the ptbnl/cash we get from the cubs be much.

I hope it's not much. I'm a little worried about getting fleeced on the ptbnl, given it's the Astros.

59 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

getting high draft picks and trading veterans is the most common way to do that.

It's more than just getting high draft picks. It's also knowing what to do with them.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

It's more than just getting high draft picks. It's also knowing what to do with them.

set them on fire?

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

set them on fire?

Draft better players!  And sign more international players.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Draft better players!  And sign more international players.  

how to draft better players?

being slightly more serious, i do think the tigers sign plenty of international players, they just don't go as much for the big signings. with the new rules and a likely top 5 bonus pool to use, that will probably change with the next period.

JUp triggers Sherwin Williams controversy

Sherwin Williams is trying to back out of a charitable contribution at Angel Stadium.

The paint company Sherwin Williams created a neat promotion at Angel Stadium. There’s a giant paint can with the brand name in left-center field. If a player hits a ball into the can, Sherwin Williams will donate $1 million to the Angels Baseball Foundation, the Angels’ charity for kids.

Angels outfielder Justin Upton appeared to trigger that charitable contribution when he hit a solo home run to left-center field against Indians closer Cody Allen on Tuesday night. The ball bounced in front of the can and then went in on a hop.

Shelton would have driven it into the can and right out the bottom.