Casimir

08/31/2017 Is there a game today?

20 posts in this topic


Current 40 man roster.  Who is getting called up for September?  (And just for sake of clarity if anyone wants to keep score, we'll allow call up after the Mud Hens' season is over after Labor Day's game.)

Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say all active roster guys (in bold blue font) stay (including Jimenez and Reininger).

I'll say the disabled list guys are on the active roster at some point if healthy enough.  I know some people are saying just dump Sanchez and/or Martinez now, but I don't think it happens.  It doesn't make sense to now in either scenario.  If the release Sanchez, I think they are responsible for paying the team option.  Martinez' heart condition might lead him to retire.

Of the minor league position player guys, Candelario and Adduci get called up.  I think that's a fairly safe bet.  I think Candelario will play often.  I'm not so sure Adduci sees much (on field) action.  I think Leon will be removed from the 40 man in lieu of a 3rd catcher after Labor Day.  I don't think there will be any other 40 man roster adjustments unless someone finds his way to the 60 day DL (caveat, Martinez?).

Its open season for bullpen options.  Rondon, Ryan, Hardy, Bell are called up.  I think I'll add Jaye and Alcantara to that list.  Labourt has scuffled in Toledo, so I think he is not a call up.

Futher, considering what @Gehringer_2 posted the other day about Zimmermann maybe finding and fixing mechanical issues with a longer stretch of days off, this new trapezius issue with Verlander, the uncertainty of Norris & Sanchez to finish out the season, and the scheduled games vs teams out of contention, I think we will see a handful of bullpen games where the starter is a normal bullpen guy that goes a few innings followed by a slew of other relievers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Casimir said:

No.

Duh! It's Opening Day for the Buckeyes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

August 31, 1906 - The Tigers add 46-year-old Sam Thompson to their roster after injuries to starting outfielders Ty Cobb and Davy Jones.  Famous for his exploits in 19th century baseball, he is the oldest player in Tigers history.  Thompson will appear in eight games, totaling 7 hits and 3 RBI, in the process becoming the oldest player in MLB history to hit a triple.  He will be elected to the Hall of Fame by the veterans' committee in 1974.

August 31, 1937 - Tigers rookie Rudy York sets a major league record for most home runs in a single month by hitting his 17th and 18th home runs of August, breaking Babe Ruth's 1927 mark.  York collects 7 RBI in total as the Tigers beat the Washington Senators 12-3.

August 31, 1988 - Looking for postseason insurance, the first-place Tigers acquire veteran outfielder Fred Lynn from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for a trio of minor league players, including eventual all-star catcher Chris Hoiles.  However, Lynn will be ruled ineligible for postseason play by the commissioner's office due to an obscure (and since removed) rule stating that not only did a player have to be on a team's roster by August 31 to appear in the postseason, but the player must also be physically in the city limits of the team's host city by midnight.  Lynn's plane touched down a few minutes after 12, and the Tigers vehemently argued and appealed the ruling, an argument rendered moot when the team stumbled down the stretch and finished one game behind the division winning Boston Red Sox.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see Candelario come up and start every game.  No one else turns my crank.  We've seen them all before, even the ones we've never seen before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Duh! It's Opening Day for the Buckeyes!

Yes, but it still doesn't seem like its time for football yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I'd like to see Candelario come up and start every game.  No one else turns my crank.  We've seen them all before, even the ones we've never seen before.

I agree, Candelario should be slated for every day activity.  I still have hopes that Norris can be a contributor.  Not much else intrigues me.

I have my popcorn ready for the Castellanos in the outfield horror show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Duh! It's Opening Day for the Buckeyes!

Wait, for real?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to the game tomorrow via the generosity of a poster here who couldn't use his set of three tickets behind home plate. My wife and I will be taking our son, who is starting kindergarten next week. Haven't been to a game yet this year. The tigers will probably lose, but it will still be a win for me. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I'm going to the game tomorrow via the generosity of a poster here who couldn't use his set of three tickets behind home plate. My wife and I will be taking our son, who is starting kindergarten next week. Haven't been to a game yet this year. The tigers will probably lose, but it will still be a win for me. 

Buck and Boyd doubleheader. Death by firing squad or lethal injection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, kdog said:

Buck and Boyd doubleheader. Death by firing squad or lethal injection.

IMG_5253.JPG.4f8eab0f54cfc3426afd5d334def16cf.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kdog said:

Looks like the organization is being pretty much up front with everyone. That's commendable.  It is time for change (actually past time) and I look forward to the off season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Going forward we hope to make good, sound, data-driven business decisions"

Dig at DD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

"Going forward we hope to make good, sound, data-driven business decisions"

Dig at DD?

I don't think it's a shot at Dave. He's doing fine although the team he was given was full of young prospects about to pop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 In that letter they use the word "analytics" twice.  There's nothing ambiguous about that. I hope. Then they mention "data-driven business" decisions.  The definition of what that means is open to interpretation.  What is the "data" they are drawing from to make these business decisions?  Are they just going to be more careful spending money?  Are they going to make business decisions about the kinds of players they want on the basis of "analytics" and then determine the cost effectiveness of all this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

 In that letter they use the word "analytics" twice.  There's nothing ambiguous about that. I hope. Then they mention "data-driven business" decisions.  The definition of what that means is open to interpretation.  What is the "data" they are drawing from to make these business decisions?  Are they just going to be more careful spending money?  Are they going to make business decisions about the kinds of players they want on the basis of "analytics" and then determine the cost effectiveness of all this? 

I think at there are a couple of things it points to. One is looking at players beyond just their bats. The Tigers have had a good number of strong offensives in recent years and those teams have largely disappointed for all the reasons that we cover here in such fine hues. The other is the aspect that high payroll is not only expensive, it is debilitating in other ways as well: reduces $$ for development,  reduces flexibility to make a move you might want to when you want to, and of course the whole issue of sustainability - do you want to be a boom and bust team or team that puts a good product out there for the fans every year?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mentioning analytics a couple of times is good I guess but ordinarily a change in emphasis would be accompanied by a change in organizational structure, so that the structure supports the strategy.

Here's what's going on in Ontario right now, as elementary schools abandon all instruction in cursive writing.  Those hours are apparently to be filled by instruction in coding.  So here's what I want to do, I want to walk over to the two elementary schools that are near my house, assemble all of the teachers, and say "OK...which of you is going to teach coding, starting next week?  Which of you is going to teach app development?"  Ontario Ministry of Education, continuous stupidity since 1972.

That's what the Tigers remind me of - there's an increased emphasis on analytics, and David Chadd is going to run it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Mentioning analytics a couple of times is good I guess but ordinarily a change in emphasis would be accompanied by a change in organizational structure, so that the structure supports the strategy.

Here's what's going on in Ontario right now, as elementary schools abandon all instruction in cursive writing.  Those hours are apparently to be filled by instruction in coding.  So here's what I want to do, I want to walk over to the two elementary schools that are near my house, assemble all of the teachers, and say "OK...which of you is going to teach coding, starting next week?  Which of you is going to teach app development?"  Ontario Ministry of Education, continuous stupidity since 1972.

That's what the Tigers remind me of - there's an increased emphasis on analytics, and David Chadd is going to run it.

LOL- OT, but: Within the last month I have had an *engineering* prof explain to me why we need to keep teaching cursive and cursive note taking to produce better engineers. The 'science' of education is only a little less dismal than that of economics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now