dabeave

Letter to Season Ticket Holders

I received a letter from the Tigers signed by Al Avila (mass photo copy).  It talked about how the Tigers have improved their talent development and scouting program significantly, and that they would focus on home grown talent.  There was mention of keeping the team sustainable.  It also talked about new electronic ticketing.  I was just curious if anyone else got the letter and their thoughts.  My general take is not to expect to many big flashy free agent signings in the future.

yeah I got it too..... like many things I think the real intent was the second half of the letter.  I think the ultimate issue is they're going to ask us to pay extra if we want physical tickets.  I believe the Lions do that now.

8 hours ago, dabeave said:

I received a letter from the Tigers signed by Al Avila (mass photo copy).  It talked about how the Tigers have improved their talent development and scouting program significantly, and that they would focus on home grown talent.  There was mention of keeping the team sustainable.  It also talked about new electronic ticketing.  I was just curious if anyone else got the letter and their thoughts.  My general take is not to expect to many big flashy free agent signings in the future.

Was there any detail to support "the Tigers have improved their talent development and scouting program significantly"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

yeah I got it too..... like many things I think the real intent was the second half of the letter.  I think the ultimate issue is they're going to ask us to pay extra if we want physical tickets.  I believe the Lions do that now.

I suppose you could still call one you print yourself a 'phycial ticket' but I get what you mean. We haven't gone to game with fiberboard tickets from the box ofice in years.

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I suppose you could still call one you print yourself a 'phycial ticket' but I get what you mean. We haven't gone to game with fiberboard tickets from the box ofice in years.

We get digital tickets already as season ticket holders if we have the Ballpark app.  They are loaded on there.  The only time I've used it is when I forgot my tickets.  With the security line you have to put your phone in that basket to go through the metal detector, then retrieve your phone, unlock it, find the app, get to your barcode, then swipe again for your friend who has the other ticket. I don't see any convenience at all.  It will slow lines down.  Then the guy has to print off the little paper with your seat info so you can show your usher.

My seat mate had an issue with the Lions because he often goes with his mother in law and she will go in the handicapped line and tell Doug to go ahead without her, she'll meet him at the seats later on.  You can't do that if the tickets in your party are all on one device.

Just not a fan of that.  I'ts nice as an option but stock tickets should be the default. Besides there's the cosmetic issue of receiving a nice package in March with your ticket book.  It's silly I know but since we pay $25 'processing' fee on top of our ticket invoice I think it's justified. This year we got a shoebox sized box to put our crap in and it fits in nicely on my bookshelf.  I get home each night and throw my used ticket in there too.  We get free food coupons and club passes and other stuff and it's nice to have it all there.

I know millennial bashing is overblown but this is a case where I think it's justified.  Technology doesn't have to be everywhere in our lives.  I see it at work.  Precious IT resources are now being devoted to stupid mobile apps so that the kids can check their phone to see how much gas their car has.  It's silly.  

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I know millennial bashing is overblown but this is a case where I think it's justified.  Technology doesn't have to be everywhere in our lives.  I see it at work.  Precious IT resources are now being devoted to stupid mobile apps so that the kids can check their phone to see how much gas their car has.  It's silly.  

I have had this discussion at work with the millennial.  You can't automate everything to one click or one swipe.  You just can't and, even if so, is it necessarily efficient?

I was wondering how the mobile tickets worked, and it sounds like it works much as a figured.  If its one or two people, I can see it as convenient, or as a back up in the event of forgetting to bring along the printed tickets.  But I think I'll just go ahead and print mine, thanks (which I actually did this morning).

17 minutes ago, Oblong said:

We get digital tickets already as season ticket holders if we have the Ballpark app.  They are loaded on there.  The only time I've used it is when I forgot my tickets.  With the security line you have to put your phone in that basket to go through the metal detector, then retrieve your phone, unlock it, find the app, get to your barcode, then swipe again for your friend who has the other ticket. I don't see any convenience at all.  It will slow lines down.  Then the guy has to print off the little paper with your seat info so you can show your usher.

At the two bigger gates, they have provided enough room between security and the ticket takers that getting yourself re-organized doesn't seem like that big a deal. 

I will say one thing, and that is that the Ballpark app does work poorly for splitting the mulitple tickets off the single purchase. The last game we went to, I forwarded the second ticket to my wife's phone, we verified it was there, but then at the park, somehow it was still on mine - not on hers, and that was a delay to figure out. The SW needs to maintain each barcode verifier in one place and it doesn't.  I think they think the way it works now is a convenience, but I think it's a bigger source of confusion.

So how much time is needed to get through security and the ticket takers these days?  Asking for a friend.

Hard for me to answer as we usually get there at 7:30.  Usually our wait is due to women who don't see or care about the sign that says "No bags" in front of that line, or assume their big purse full of crap is somehow exempt from being called 'a bag'.

As to the letter itself, I'm certainly glad to see a commitment to drafting and developing home-grown talent and using metrics to do so.  If they have been metric-oriented in selecting/developing players they apparently suck at it and should fire everybody involved, including Avila.  If they have not been metric-oriented in that regard that would also reflect badly on Avila.  In any case they have sucked at development and should consider cleaning house if they wish to be a home-grown organization.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

As to the letter itself, I'm certainly glad to see a commitment to drafting and developing home-grown talent and using metrics to do so.  If they have been metric-oriented in selecting/developing players they apparently suck at it and should fire everybody involved, including Avila.  If they have not been metric-oriented in that regard that would also reflect badly on Avila.  In any case they have sucked at development and should consider cleaning house if they wish to be a home-grown organization.

I believe the kids use the term "100%" these days.

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

So how much time is needed to get through security and the ticket takers these days?  Asking for a friend.

Last week when it was about a 2/3 crowd, the line at 6:45 was one guy that walked more quickly to the scanner than I did. Even when it's full I don't really ever remember getting in to Copa taking more than couple of minutes. The only time I remember there being a long line was one day when we were trying to get in early for some reason I have forgotten. That day long lines had formed before they had opened the gates. The park seems to have a decent ratio of entry gating to seats. Of course stuff like that can change at any time if they change the staffing....

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Last week when it was about a 2/3 crowd, the line at 6:45 was one guy that walked more quickly to the scanner than I did. Even when it's full I don't really ever remember getting in to Copa taking more than couple of minutes. The only time I remember there being a long line was one day when we were trying to get in early for some reason I have forgotten. That day long lines had formed before they had opened the gates. The park seems to have a decent ratio of entry gating to seats. Of course stuff like that can change at any time if they change the staffing....

Have those folks/equipment cleared waivers?  There's still time for a trade.

Here is the park from the letter regarding increased in-house research and development'

'...the addition of domestic and international scouts, minor league instructors, support programs for players, world-class facilities in Lakeland and renovations to our Dominican Academy.  Further investment has been made in the aggressive build-out of our analytics department, and the introduction of Caesar, a decision-support program that houses reports from our talent evaluators, as well as baseball analytics....'