Deleterious

#11 Michigan vs. #17 Florida - 9/2/17

52 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i would like to believe that michigan's defense can be that dominant again, but i think some of that is florida is just that bad on offense.

michigan outgained them by 300 yards.  it was a total *** whupping even if the score didnt show it thanks to speight.

i dont think they'll face a defense that talented again until osu.

Concur

6 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

sure, and there is plenty of toilet paper despite the length of this queue

"plan"

Still feels like 2019 is the year of Harbaugh and we're a year or two away. Speight limits their potential. They need a Harbaugh recruit at QB. It's disappointing that Peters wasn't able to supplant him and instead had bad fall practices.

Speight will be great this year.  Remember it was his first real game with pretty much a brand new core of targets.  The run game was thrilling today considering Florida's D is pretty darn good and quick.

Michigan gonna surprise some people this year. 

51 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Speight will be great this year.  Remember it was his first real game with pretty much a brand new core of targets.  The run game was thrilling today considering Florida's D is pretty darn good and quick.

I agree with this.  The newish WRs did him a couple of non-favors.   

I think a lot is being made about having to replace 10 starters on defense.     This is true but I think the whole "inexperience" thing is a little misleading.   First of all, some of the players do have a lot of game experience but once you get past this game it is not really an issue.  By the time they get to the toughest part of the schedule Penn State, Maryland, Wisconsin, Ohio State - these guys will have plenty of experience.      The Freshman, Devin Bush, Rashan Gary, Lavert Hill, David Long sure didn't look very green out there.  They were commanding and confident.    There was some over pursuit issues on a few plays, but that happens to upper classmen too.       That defense was impressive.      I think the O-Line looked pretty good and Michigan did a good job of using deception to set up the run game when they couldn't just blast through the line.   Ty Isaac looked really strong.   I think that part of the game will get better and better and be the offensive strength.   I don't have a lot of confidence in Speight.  He just doesn't look comfortable.  O'Korn looks downright twitchy but I think he's trying to do too much all in a few plays instead of just being calm and letting things play out.     I can only imagine how good this team is going to be in 2018 when they get their rivals at home.  

3 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

I agree with this.  The newish WRs did him a couple of non-favors.   

when?  he badly overthrew a guy for a pick 6 and then missed a wide open receiver for a td late.  black dropped one ball.  i didnt see any huge mistakes from the receivers other than the tip ball and some minor running mistakes after the catch.  none that impacted speight much.

speight is what he is: an average game manager.  he is competent.  against most of the schedule that will be enough.  and it might even be a plus against a team like penn state at night.  but when the running game isnt working, i dont know if speight is good enough against a top defense to win the game.  we'll see.

brian griese did it so you never know.

the defense was very impressive.  all hail don brown.

10 hours ago, Scottwood said:

Still feels like 2019 is the year of Harbaugh and we're a year or two away. Speight limits their potential. They need a Harbaugh recruit at QB. It's disappointing that Peters wasn't able to supplant him and instead had bad fall practices.

You don't need a blue chip QB to win an NC.

Peters is a borderline blue chip prospect who is going to benefit from learning from Harbaugh and Hamilton at least one more year before starting.  One more year of conditioning, studying playbook and sharpening footwork/timing/touch.

Michigan just walked all over a very solid UF defense while showing a fraction of the playbook.  They sat on the ball most of the 4th quarter.

5 hours ago, thefunk said:

This.

Once Black and DPJ are starting on the outside, we'll see the true potential of this year's offense IMO.  

They don't face a defense like UF's for a few months.

46 minutes ago, Buddha said:

when?  he badly overthrew a guy for a pick 6 and then missed a wide open receiver for a td late.  black dropped one ball.  i didnt see any huge mistakes from the receivers other than the tip ball and some minor running mistakes after the catch.  none that impacted speight much.

speight is what he is: an average game manager.  he is competent.  against most of the schedule that will be enough.  and it might even be a plus against a team like penn state at night.  but when the running game isnt working, i dont know if speight is good enough against a top defense to win the game.  we'll see.

The overthrown pick 6 and airmailing Crawford (an automatic dagger) were his worst moments.  He also had a lot of great moments.  

If Crawford pulls down the first pick 6, which he should have, it was a great ball, chances are we get 3 or 7 points on that drive.  Score could have been 17-3, and M was in total control. 

Some of y'all are acting like Wilt performed this way against Akron or Toledo.  Sure he was up and down last year, but he also led the team to an almost victory* vs. Ohio State and a berth in the CFP.  Step off the ledge, Michigan's gonna be an excellent ride this year. 

*JT was short. Michigan won, even with Speight hurt. 

42 minutes ago, Buddha said:

The first INT was on Crawford, who was pretty underwhelming as the "1" option.  At best, he's the third-best outside receiver on the team.  I expect to see much more of DPJ the next few weeks in an open audition to take Crawford's spot.  Black is going to wreck fools this year.  The TE position is a four-headed monster that will become Speight's best friend at some point this season.

Perry spinning the ball after his first reception is inexcusable--he's such a meathead and I can't wait until he's gone.  Unfortunately, he's the best route runner on the team so he's going to play.

Speight is a better than average game manager.  He threw the ball away a few times yesterday where many a quarterback would press, and that was encouraging to see.  I would like to see him go through his progressions more consistently, as he never looked anyone off on the second INT.  I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but it sure didn't help.  He hit on two very good deep balls yesterday and just missed a third where the defender was called for PI anyways.

Will he have to improve to beat OSU?  Yes, but that is a few months away.

Florida's DL was good but Michigan still was able to get a 100 yd performance out of Isaac.  The second-half adjustments made by Harbaugh and company were nearly perfect.  Our tackles were beat once each by good players, and I can live with that the first week against the 17th-ranked team in the Nation.

4 minutes ago, thefunk said:

The overthrown pick 6 and airmailing Crawford (an automatic dagger) were his worst moments.  He also had a lot of great moments.  

If Crawford pulls down the first pick 6, which he should have, it was a great ball, chances are we get 3 or 7 points on that drive.  Score could have been 17-3, and M was in total control. 

Some of y'all are acting like Wilt performed this way against Akron or Toledo.  Sure he was up and down last year, but he also led the team to an almost victory* vs. Ohio State and a berth in the CFP.  Step off the ledge, Michigan's gonna be an excellent ride this year. 

*JT was short. Michigan won, even with Speight hurt. 

Don't forget the blocked punt, gotta blame that on Speight as well!

If WS is still throwing two pick 6's per game and throwing high 5 times a game a month from now of course I'll be worried.  

But the last thing people should be crabbing about after yesterday is Wilton Speight.

• Like 1

wilton speight has been very good against bad competition and average at best againat good competition.  i didnt see anything today that would change that opinion.

he's not a bad qb, he's just not a great one.  fortunately for speight, he has a great qb coach.

• Like 1

I don't think it should be controversial that this offense is still not a Harbaugh offense. The QB and o line are not what its going to be by year 5 of Harbaugh when McCaffery or Milton is the starter and the whole o line is his guys and upperclassmen.

The starters on this defense are really good- top 5 or top 10 quality in the country. The problem is a lack of depth for when injuries inevitably strike. They'll be near an Alabama level on D next year when nearly everyone comes back. It sucks that they have all those road games though.

If I was a Florida fan, I would have thought that Michigan's coaches badly outclassed Florida's coaches. From their perspective, allowing several successful 3rd and long runs would be inexcusable. A lot of the success on the ground was less about a dominant o line as it was about great opportunistic play calls. There were a lot of passing plays to be made too that were open against Florida's D that just weren't converted.

The DBs were better than I expected, or maybe Florida was just that bad.  Still some work to do on the OL.  Speight needs to improve his touch. It looks to me like he rifles short balls & finesses the long ones.  If he doesn't get better, UM will be in trouble against Penn State & OSU. O'Korn hasn't shown me anything.

7 hours ago, Scottwood said:

I don't think it should be controversial that this offense is still not a Harbaugh offense. The QB and o line are not what its going to be by year 5 of Harbaugh when McCaffery or Milton is the starter and the whole o line is his guys and upperclassmen.

The starters on this defense are really good- top 5 or top 10 quality in the country. The problem is a lack of depth for when injuries inevitably strike. They'll be near an Alabama level on D next year when nearly everyone comes back. It sucks that they have all those road games though.

If I was a Florida fan, I would have thought that Michigan's coaches badly outclassed Florida's coaches. From their perspective, allowing several successful 3rd and long runs would be inexcusable. A lot of the success on the ground was less about a dominant o line as it was about great opportunistic play calls. There were a lot of passing plays to be made too that were open against Florida's D that just weren't converted.

Michigan soundly beat a legit top-15/20 defense with how many OL returning their 2016 starting positions?  They did a nice job--not perfect, but certainly graded out well-enough on their assignments--and only let Speight feel real pressure a few times.  When the backs let their blocks develop, as Isaac did, the running game did its job.  To his credit, Evans at least picked up a few blitzers in pass pro and I assume that is why he is starting over the other two backs right now.

It is so hard to project an OL from year-to-year if you aren't a football factory like OSU, Bama or FSU. Those schools don't care about academics or character like Michigan/Harbaugh does.  Bama or FSU can just go in its backyard and grab a top JUCO OL(or any position) when it needs to plug a hole, and that is something Michigan will never be able to do. Recruiting is also easier for them due to proximity, as the deep south has unmatched football resources.  

Michigan has had many 4* talent OL transfer out over the last decade, and a couple more suffer serious injury.  Maybe that will change over the next few years, but looking at next year Michigan will have to replace an LT and C.  They already have Ruiz for C, which is great because he is one of the few true FR OL who came in ready to start, but the prospect of having to start a RS FR at LT next year is not an exciting one for me.  I'm not sure the OL is better next year, but it would be great if they held serve.

We can star-gaze all we want at the QB position, but it is tough to know who will stay, develop and emerge as a good QB.  If I were to throw all of the Michigan QB brought into fall camp over the last twelve years and show them to you as prospects, there are names that would jump off the page and dazzle--Mallett, Forcier, Gardner, Morris and Peters.  Robinson would look like a pretty average QB prospect if we're looking at their HS clips, scouting reports and projections.  In fact, he looks like a guy begging to be moved to slot receiver.  Speight would look like a depth signing, Malzone would look like a guy who gives Morris competition to start every year.  Gardner and Mallett look like guys who rewrite record books, and they did.  Gardner owns a single-game record or two and Mallett had to transfer to write his.  Any guess where Brady was on the depth chart as a FR?  He was behind two SO--a guy who set a freshman record for passing in his first game at Michigan and the son of a HOF QB.  His junior year, Carr brought in a guy who was all but promised the starting job.  The last game of his junior year, Brady turned in one of the best performances I've ever seen from a Michigan QB and the rest is history.  How did it go for Henson, who is arguably the best QB prospect ever brought to AA?

You never know who is going to step up.  Sometimes the depth signing becomes the guy . . . like Brady, like Robinson, and now--like Speight.  The fan base complains loudly that the wrong guy is playing until they win the big game and then they all STFU.  I can't wait until that game comes for Speight, just like I couldn't wait until it happened for Brady.  I didn't have to wait long on Robinson because Forcier positively imploded.   The wrong guy on the depth chart, although the Brown/Taylor years left even me second-guessing, has rarely started at QB for Michigan since I began watching them in 1980.  Running back is a different story.

As far as defensive depth goes, the only place I buy that Michigan is short-handed is at safety and depth at MIKIE.  If they suffer a major injury there it may be trouble, but otherwise I see a lot of talent on the two-deep at nine other positions.  The good news for the depth of the defense is they will get a lot of time and opportunity to develop before they have to face Wisconsin and OSU at the end of the schedule.  

Michigan will never have Bama depth, but the product out there now on defense is certainly comparable.  If Bush goes down it would be horrible, because he is going to be our best equalizer for teams with strong running games.  Nobody on this squad (or if we are honest, last year's squad) can get through the laundry like Bush and make a tackle.  Brown better have a backup scheme ready to cover for that, because he definitely does not have a true replacement.

i'm pretty ******* stoked about the win and the team.

i'm not going to fret about being as good as X perennial power until the time comes.

gonna be some good football to watch this season.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Take the over.

They will beat PSU.  Book it.

Phil Steele needs to follow you. 

Performance overall was great, but it's weird hearing that Speight almost beat OSU when his turnovers lost that game for the defense. I was having flashbacks during those two pick sixes.

But, he also had some excellent downfield throws. Cut out the devastating mistakes (and the pass to Crawford was terrible, sorry. Yes a better WR could make the catch, but when your WR has to leap at full stretch on the run it's a bad throw) and he's certainly a good enough QB for this team to win a lot of games.

6 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

and the pass to Crawford was terrible, sorry. Yes a better WR could make the catch, but when your WR has to leap at full stretch on the run it's a bad throw) and he's certainly a good enough QB for this team to win a lot of games.

Here's the rub--Crawford is possibly the 5th-most talented WR on the team but he's being featured right now.  Michigan has much better playmakers at the position who make that play.  

Maybe WR like Chesson and Darboh (depth receivers on many a Michigan team) don't make that play often over the years, but forgive us if we remember all the receivers who have put on a winged helmet who do make that play regularly over the years (could name about 20, but you get the point).