Deadshot

Victor Martinez to the 10-day DL with an irregular heartbeat.

5 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

the fact that this is the 2nd time, he's got to be really concerned about it. if it has anything to do with anything to do with baseball, this should be the end. just a question of going through the legalities with the tigers and insurance to classify it legit career-ending or legit 60-day DL in perpetuity.

At some point the team won't want to take the risk of something happening to him while he's in uniform.  Baseball isn't as physical as Hockey of course, but they weren't going to  let Jiri Fischer play even if was willing to try. The other thing I would worry about for  Victor is that he is now a competiive athlete and he already looks overweight. What's he going to look like 6 mos after he retires?

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't have one. I'm just saying they could have done nothing and achieved the same result so the whole DL him seems odd. Maybe they need it for insurance (such as 40 days on the DL and insurance kicks in, I dunno). Just wanted to point out the fact they DL'ed him is odd. 

I guess I am confused why they wouldn't place Martinez on the DL and call someone up.  Martinez wasn't going to play today and likely wasn't going to do anything more than PH in the next series at Denver.

Cabrera is currently appealing his suspension.  He will be suspended, it's just a matter of whenever and how long.  And when the ruling is handed down, it's likely to be served immediately (regardless of the Tiger's potential roster issues --- this isn't the Yankees we are talking about).

So that leaves the Tigers at risk with only 11 position players.

Add in the fact that they are watching McCann for possible concussion issues. And Castellanos has the sore wrist issue that hasn't held him out of the two games and relegated him to DH today.

Toledo is only a 4 hour drive away.  So why wouldn't you DL the guy that you know is going to go to the DL and bring someone up from the minors?  It seems like a no brained to me.  And if it isn't, you surely have to have an alternate plan of action, don't you?  Is the risk of what the Tigers did more than the reward of no action or some other action which has not been brought up?

An article today quoted a source as saying that the contract is not insured. http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/08/27/detroit-tigers-victor-martinez-irregular-heartbeat/606453001/

I thought this was a bloody awful contract when they signed him, but doing it without insurance???? What was DD thinking?

Irrespective of the bone headed business move on the part of the tigers, I wish Victor the best. I think quite honestly he's played a season too long. It's hard for some players with the pride that Victor has to know when it's time. But it's been time for a while now. 

Just think we could've had Nelson Cruz for 4/57 instead of Victor for 4/68.  Cruz has been worth something like 13 more wins than Victor the past 3 seasons and is certainly a better bet to outproduce him next year. 

59 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

An article today quoted a source as saying that the contract is not insured. http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/08/27/detroit-tigers-victor-martinez-irregular-heartbeat/606453001/

I thought this was a bloody awful contract when they signed him, but doing it without insurance???? What was DD thinking?

Irrespective of the bone headed business move on the part of the tigers, I wish Victor the best. I think quite honestly he's played a season too long. It's hard for some players with the pride that Victor has to know when it's time. But it's been time for a while now. 

In fairness to Dombrowski, this was likely an Ilitch influenced signing.

2 hours ago, stanpapi said:

I suspect given Victor's age that the cost of insurance was prohibitive.

I doubt it was a case of DD being too stupid or cavalier to look into it.

I don't know what it costs to insure a relatively non athletic baseball player in his mid to late 30s with (apparently) a family history of heart issues, but I can easily imagine the insurance company protecting against the likelihood of one season being lost.

Alternately, supposing it cost $5 million a year to insure Victor, you spent $20 million to save $18.

2 hours ago, stanpapi said:

I see Biggs beat me to it, but I would imagine an insurance company would look at Victor's knee history and say "no"

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just think we could've had Nelson Cruz for 4/57 instead of Victor for 4/68.  Cruz has been worth something like 13 more wins than Victor the past 3 seasons and is certainly a better bet to outproduce him next year. 

And Cruz wouldn't have been killing us...

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

In fairness to Dombrowski, this was likely an Ilitch influenced signing.

As I remember it, after the Tigers were swept by Baltimore in the ALDS - and after Victor's stellar season in 2014 - Illitch told Victor something to the effect of, "don't worry, we're going to take care of you."

DD wanted to keep the deal to two years, until Seattle outbid us - unclear if it was a three year deal or not, and the next thing you know, Victor got his sweet four year deal.

Nelson Cruz ended up the Mariners' consolation prize.

57 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I see Biggs beat me to it, but I would imagine an insurance company would look at Victor's knee history and say "no"

DD prolly just forgot....oops!

Well, that's scary. I hope he's okay. 

That being said, bring him back after 10-15 days and figure out a way for him to get his ovation at home and wish him well. 

18 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I had a mild arrhythmia issue some years ago when I was on Advair, it got steadily worse over 6 months until I switched to another product.  For the last couple of weeks it was fairly constant and at times terrifying, particularly under stress.  Being constantly aware of your hearts function is really unpleasant.

A few years ago I was drinking entirely too much Red Bull and one night the heart palpitations caused me to go to the hospital. Xrays, CT scan and a heart cath were all performed. Turns out I was so tired due to sleep apnea and was told to quit drinking Red Bull. 

That said, I am acutely aware of my heartbeat (OCD) and when I am stressed it just stresses me out more when I am acutely aware of my heartbeat. It's a vicious circle.

38 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

A few years ago I was drinking entirely too much Red Bull and one night the heart palpitations caused me to go to the hospital. Xrays, CT scan and a heart cath were all performed. Turns out I was so tired due to sleep apnea and was told to quit drinking Red Bull. 

That said, I am acutely aware of my heartbeat (OCD) and when I am stressed it just stresses me out more when I am acutely aware of my heartbeat. It's a vicious circle.

Man, that's a rough situation.   The worry causes more worry.      I don't have heart issues (surprisingly) but I go down deep rabbit holes of worry - hard to find a ladder out of it most of the time.    Also surprised I am not a big drinker - it runs in my family and depression and anger are the main triggers.     

The writing is on the wall for Victor's career.   His personal health is on the line and baseball health is two years past due.   He'll get his 18 million regardless - It's over.   

17 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I also want to point out the whole DL/call up is odd. Rosters expand in two days and our next games are in NL parks. Did we really need JaCoby up that bad? 

You don't want to have a short bench in NL parks, though. Besides, it's not like there is any reason not to DL him. He isn't good at baseball any more. And even in the event that he is able to play again before the 10 days are up, the season is over anyway. 

Injury or not, I would gladly swap Victor for jones, and the DL makes that possible. 

Also, rosters expand on Friday. It would have been four games playing with a man short. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You don't want to have a short bench in NL parks, though. Besides, it's not like there is any reason not to DL him. He isn't good at baseball any more. And even in the event that he is able to play again before the 10 days are up, the season is over anyway. 

Injury or not, I would gladly swap Victor for jones, and the DL makes that possible. 

Also, rosters expand on Friday. It would have been four games playing with a man short. 

Who do you think they call up that we haven't seen yet?   I am sure they call up Deuce but do Gerber and Stewart get their taste or is service time too big an issue for them?     I say damn the service time - lets give them a taste of the major league life and see if it motivates them.     But then they have to drop 2 from the 40 man.    Just release Sanchez already - what's the point now?   If I was goign to pick another guy to release it would be Rondon (about 1 month overdue for that). 

I think they call up 

Hardy
Labourt
Ryan
Bell
Jaye
Lugo
Candelario
Aducci

I would like to see Gerber, Stewart and a third catcher too, but I don't think they have a lot of room on the 40 man to do that

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Who do you think they call up that we haven't seen yet?   I am sure they call up Deuce but do Gerber and Stewart get their taste or is service time too big an issue for them?     I say damn the service time - lets give them a taste of the major league life and see if it motivates them.     But then they have to drop 2 from the 40 man.    Just release Sanchez already - what's the point now?   If I was goign to pick another guy to release it would be Rondon (about 1 month overdue for that). 

I think they call up 

Hardy
Labourt
Ryan
Bell
Jaye
Lugo
Candelario
Aducci

I would like to see Gerber, Stewart and a third catcher too, but I don't think they have a lot of room on the 40 man to do that

I don't think they call up nearly that many. Probably Jeimer and a couple pitchers. Maybe adduci, but maybe not. 

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think they call up 

Hardy
Labourt
Ryan
Bell
Jaye
Lugo
Candelario
Aducci

If it were me, I wouldn't be interested in Ryan, Hardy, Bell, Adduci. Known quantities, not guys I need to see anymore of or who need the experience of getting oriented to an ML team.

27 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Man, that's a rough situation.   The worry causes more worry.      I

Interestingly enough, I woke up the other night at midnight and my heart was racing. It was scary so my wife drove me to the hospital. Turns out it was dehydration. They got some saline in me and everything was back to normal. They kept me for a few more hours just in case but that is something you don't want to wake up to.

3 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Interestingly enough, I woke up the other night at midnight and my heart was racing. It was scary so my wife drove me to the hospital. Turns out it was dehydration. They got some saline in me and everything was back to normal. They kept me for a few more hours just in case but that is something you don't want to wake up to.

From what I have read, dehydration is a far too common thing.  

43 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

From what I have read, dehydration is a far too common thing.  

I had consumed almost a gallon of water that day but had also mowed the grass and went out for a walk after. I've been pounding at least a gallon a day since then and have felt really good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I had consumed almost a gallon of water that day but had also mowed the grass and went out for a walk after. I've been pounding at least a gallon a day since then and have felt really good.

I'm getting to that "point in life" where all I have to do is realize I'm conscious and I have to take a leak. A gallon of fluids each day would be pretty tough for me to handle.