Deadshot

Victor Martinez to the 10-day DL with an irregular heartbeat.

60 posts in this topic

Per Twitter. JaCoby back up to fill the roster spot.

First off, I hope Victor is ok and has a speedy recovery. Cannot emphasize that enough.

I'm just curious, but if this turns into a long-term thing, I'm assuming his contract is insured? I follow NBA a bit closer and there was a similar situation this past year with Chris Bosh (albeit a different ailment).

I now doubt he'll be back next year.  

1 person likes this

I've had issues with an irregular heartbeat for 20 years.   Very hard to deal with when you add stress to the mix.

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Agreed. That's why I'm wondering if insurance will cover the contract. One way or the other, it looks like it will force the Tigers hand in an already complicated situation. I don't ever want to make it sound like an irregular heartbeat is a "solution," but practically speaking, if I'm correct, it could allow Victor to get his money and the Tigers to avoid paying his contract out of pocket.

20 minutes ago, Deadshot said:

Agreed. That's why I'm wondering if insurance will cover the contract. One way or the other, it looks like it will force the Tigers hand in an already complicated situation. I don't ever want to make it sound like an irregular heartbeat is a "solution," but practically speaking, if I'm correct, it could allow Victor to get his money and the Tigers to avoid paying his contract out of pocket.

It's not a solution perhaps but it is dangerous to play with no matter how convenient that may be for the Tigers.

36 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The fact that he is going back to Detroit by car, my presumption being to avoid aggravating the condition,  just underlines the possible severity of this condition. 

14 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The fact that he is going back to Detroit by car, my presumption being to avoid aggravating the condition,  just underlines the possible severity of this condition. 

the fact that this is the 2nd time, he's got to be really concerned about it. if it has anything to do with anything to do with baseball, this should be the end. just a question of going through the legalities with the tigers and insurance to classify it legit career-ending or legit 60-day DL in perpetuity.

Should of(I bet whatever his name is just got triggered) retired after the first time.  This will now open DH for Miguel for next year.

5 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

Should of(I bet whatever his name is just got triggered) retired after the first time.  This will now open DH for Miguel for next year.

the thing we're all just on pins and needles waiting to know is what your opinion was of it at the time.

4 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

the thing we're all just on pins and needles waiting to know is what your opinion was of it at the time.

I was saying three years ago that they should of traded him for the entire Astros farm system.  

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I've had issues with an irregular heartbeat for 20 years.   Very hard to deal with when you add stress to the mix.

I had a mild arrhythmia issue some years ago when I was on Advair, it got steadily worse over 6 months until I switched to another product.  For the last couple of weeks it was fairly constant and at times terrifying, particularly under stress.  Being constantly aware of your hearts function is really unpleasant.

Given his overall skill decline and these health issues, not to mention the state of the team, I'd be really surprised if he comes back in 2018.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I think that has more to do with TSA/O'Hare/Midway than anything

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I was saying three years ago that they should of traded him for the entire Astros farm system.  

I still kind'a wish MartinezJD was traded to Houston.

I also want to point out the whole DL/call up is odd. Rosters expand in two days and our next games are in NL parks. Did we really need JaCoby up that bad? 

5 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I also want to point out the whole DL/call up is odd. Rosters expand in two days and our next games are in NL parks. Did we really need JaCoby up that bad? 

Cabrera is due to be suspended once the appeal is ruled upon.  Castellanos is dealing with the wrist ailment. So, they probably did need a body to be with the team.

3 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

"Sig worthy statement"

11 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

And it lets them recall Jones instead of having to wait 10 days.

Good point.

Thinking ahead, who are they likely to call up as far as position players?  Candelario, Jones, and Adduci for sure.  Probably a 3rd catcher.  

Do they call up Infante even if he isn't on the 40 right now?  Is there a reward for taking he minor league deal and being in call just in case?

Do they bump up Stewart from AA?  Now that Martinez is on the DL, there are more ABs available at DH (and might also impact playing time availability at the corners).

Candelario, Jones, Garcia are the young guys that might play some. Holaday, Ryan, and Hardy are vets still floating around that would be used. Beyond that I don't really care....Rondon, Infante, sure, whatever.

They could do Stewart if Victor is out, but he's not on the 40-man. Same with Gerber.

Hopefully he decides to retire. If he doesn't, I would make him pass a physical. 

I could see the Ilitch family cutting him a check for like $6 million to retire. 

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

And it lets them recall Jones instead of having to wait 10 days.

And? I don't get why this matters.

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

And? I don't get why this matters.

i don't get what your proposed alternative is in all this.

3 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

i don't get what your proposed alternative is in all this.

I don't have one. I'm just saying they could have done nothing and achieved the same result so the whole DL him seems odd. Maybe they need it for insurance (such as 40 days on the DL and insurance kicks in, I dunno). Just wanted to point out the fact they DL'ed him is odd. 

7 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't have one. I'm just saying they could have done nothing and achieved the same result so the whole DL him seems odd. Maybe they need it for insurance (such as 40 days on the DL and insurance kicks in, I dunno). Just wanted to point out the fact they DL'ed him is odd. 

i think willingly going with effectively a 24 man roster is odd. i don't think putting a guy with a possible heart condition on the DL is odd at all. not like he can rub some dirt on it and be good to go.