Spent a decade of my life in Corpus. Have family who have mandatory evacuation at my house. Not looking good for Rockport or Port Aransas. Pray for the Tx Coastal bend.

48 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Spent a decade of my life in Corpus. Have family who have mandatory evacuation at my house. Not looking good for Rockport or Port Aransas. Pray for the Tx Coastal bend.

I have friends who have evacuated to Waco from Padre.  They are safe, but he's retiring at the end of the year and could lose everything.  So awful.

The storm was just upgraded to Cat 4, btw.

I keep hearing from out of state friends concerned for us, and have to laugh.  We are well north and at most might get one or two inches of rain, only 30% chance of that.

It's nice to be loved, though.

1 hour ago, Melody said:

I keep hearing from out of state friends concerned for us, and have to laugh.  We are well north and at most might get one or two inches of rain, only 30% chance of that.

It's nice to be loved, though.

Where are you? I'm in a Austin area. Hays county we actually have a tropical storm warning here.

Just now, MAROTH4MVP said:

Where are you? I'm in a Austin area. Hays county we actually have a tropical storm warning here.

DFW.  We may or may not even see rain this far north.

Reports from family in Sugarland and Conroe sounds like they are in for a bumpy ride, but they feel safe there.

44 minutes ago, Melody said:

DFW.  We may or may not even see rain this far north.

Reports from family in Sugarland and Conroe sounds like they are in for a bumpy ride, but they feel safe there.

Glad you are fine. Rockport is toast and this idiot is insane.

4 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Glad you are fine. Rockport is toast and this idiot is insane.

Have you seen the photographs from the space station?  The size of this thing is just mind blowing!

Okay, here's what just makes me nuts with this...............A bunch of homes were wiped out when Ike came along in 2008.   So they rebuild in the same spot and will probably get wiped out here.   A mile inland and there's damage but they won't be wiped out.   Why do people insist on ******* with nature like that?    I know you want a view of the water, I get that, but you can't.  You just can't.          

It's like the folks in Moore, Oklahoma that keep getting hit with F4 and F5 tornadoes and then building houses out of wood with no storm shelters.   What are you thinking?  Then when the Mayor tries to pass a law that you put a steel-walled room or storm shelter under your house - he gets torn apart for intruding...........He's trying to get you to do something you are too stupid or cheap to do - save your own life!     And then people that move into wooded areas and complain about wildlife messing with their property -  You are on THEIR land, not the other way around.  

The same reason people stay in Detroit and ***** about the cold every year... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

The same reason people stay in Detroit and ***** about the cold every year... 

Hey, it's not by choice - I'm stuck.    But if there was a spot in Detroit that kept getting flooded every time it rained - I would not rebuild there, not in that spot.   

We actually have an area in Dearborn Heights where it floods all the time - so the county told residents they'd pay them the value of their house so they can tear it down and just make that a designated flood plain - put a park there - like Hines Park is designed.   Almost all the people gladly took the money and moved to another house near that neighborhood.  There were a couple of holdouts that refused - so the city refused to help them the next time it flooded and they're crying about it.  It was costing the city too much money to try to fix an unfixable problem.   The people that lived there would not have been able to see those houses for much of anything - they should have never been built there in the first place and they were lied to by corrupt builders and city officials years ago.  The city tried to make it right - they could have just condemned the houses and kicked them out.     Those people that stayed - I get they loved their house but the battle is lost - you are not beating nature.  You can get enough money to buy a house in that same neighborhood a few blocks away.  

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay, here's what just makes me nuts with this...............A bunch of homes were wiped out when Ike came along in 2008.   So they rebuild in the same spot and will probably get wiped out here.   A mile inland and there's damage but they won't be wiped out.   Why do people insist on ******* with nature like that?    I know you want a view of the water, I get that, but you can't.  You just can't.         

Sometimes the Fed does actively try to get people moved. They have supported moving whole towns along some of the plains states river flood plains. It's an easier process with rivers where the flooding is so more predictable. On the gulf coast you're talking thousands of miles of coast and a pretty low probability of any particular area being hit over any several decades - so that is tough sell to tell people not to live there.

Houston is underwater.  The pictures I'm seeing from friends and family in the area is mind blowing.  Worse than Allison.  My goodness, high water in The Heights!

I don't see them razing Houston though.    This is just a crazy amount of rain coming down all at once.

8 minutes ago, Melody said:

Houston is underwater.  The pictures I'm seeing from friends and family in the area is mind blowing.  Worse than Allison.  My goodness, high water in The Heights!

I don't see them razing Houston though.    This is just a crazy amount of rain coming down all at once.

And here's a shot what appears to be (or was until recently) Loop 610 and IH 10 in Southeast Houston.

What a nightmare.

• Like 1

It is insane!   A friend in the Heights just posted that alligators are swimming through neighborhood streets!  That area is inside the loop!

Not sure I've ever seen anything like this from NWS

I saw a couple of reports from the EuroModel yesterday morning predicting as much as 60 inches of rain for the region over the next few days. I can't imagine. 

I'm old enough to remember Agnes and the devastation of the aftermath into Central and Western Virginia. That was a Summer shower compared to this.

Horrendous.  By Thursday that area will be forever unrecognizable.  

I fear for Rescue Squads who'll be daily risking their lives for people who waited too long to flee.  

Quick question for Texans. Was this storm on anybody's radar before early last week? Living in the Midwest, we don't pay that close attention to these things. It just seem like it was similar to one of those storm that didn't seem like much until the last minute.

I'm not sure if areas outside the original landfall zone expected as much precipitation as they received.

29 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Quick question for Texans. Was this storm on anybody's radar before early last week? Living in the Midwest, we don't pay that close attention to these things. It just seem like it was similar to one of those storm that didn't seem like much until the last minute.

I'm not sure if areas outside the original landfall zone expected as much precipitation as they received.

It was on the radar, but I don't think anyone imagined it would grow into a Category 4 or route at such slow speeds along the edge of the Texas coast.

I was not here when Rita hit, but I am left wondering if the experience of the evacuation (with IH 45 turned into a parking lot) had an impact on folks when weighing whether to stay or go.

31 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

It basically went from thunderstorms to a Cat 4 Hurricane in 72 hours. Forecasters knew there was a chance of development but you just never know with hurricanes. 

My girl's sister lives in Humble, a suburb on the NE side of Houston. Her husband bailed on her a month ago and their house is about to be foreclosed, so she's there all alone with her dog. Needless to say, Olivia is pretty worried. Not a good situation at all. 

I looked on the map and their house is maybe 200 feet from the Garners Bayou. And as far as I can tell about 15 feet above it. She's at around 60' above sea level. I'll for sure have to keep an eye on this. 

3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

My girl's sister lives in Humble, a suburb on the NE side of Houston. Her husband bailed on her a month ago and their house is about to be foreclosed, so she's there all alone with her dog. Needless to say, Olivia is pretty worried. Not a good situation at all. 

I looked on the map and their house is maybe 200 feet from the Garners Bayou. And as far as I can tell about 15 feet above it. She's at around 60' above sea level. I'll for sure have to keep an eye on this. 

I have a co-worker who is currently hunkered down in Atascosita with family, just east of there. Just visiting after dropping his daughter off for college in Beaumont. He doesn't know when he will be able to drive north.