Sign in to follow this  
detroittigerfan

AUGUST, 2017 SUCCESSES

Going to see if we can keep this "SUCCESSES" thread going...

On Thursday night former Tiger and Michigan QB Rick Leach signed three books, two footballs (with "Go Blue, # 7"), two baseballs, two photos, and four cards for me; obviously, only a few items are for my collection!  It was the MSU/U of M rivalry at 5/3 Ballpark, sponsored by the West Michigan WhiteCaps.  Huge crowd, but basically very few collectors.  I could have gotten more; in fact, I think Leach may have left a little early because no one else was in line.  After the initial rush where you could only get one item signed, the Caps eliminated any restrictions.

On Friday night it was former WhiteCap and Tiger Eric Munson signing.  The event had been promoted for many months and was slightly better attended.  I got two books and four cards signed by Munson.

In the crowd was former Tiger Don Kelly, always a gracious signer.  He signed one cards and the 2012 ALDS game ticket when he won the game with a walk-off sac fly.  Kelly works with the Tiger minor league teams.

The next and final Tiger Friday is Aug.25 with former Tiger Chris Shelton.  Normally I would not expect a large demand for him, but the giveaway is a Shelton bobblehead to the first 1,000 fans.

Last night I bought two tickets to the first WhiteCaps playoff game, and was rewarded with the Ty Cobb "bobblefoot" as part of a special promotion.  Later I found out that they are listed on ebay for between $250 - $300.  What?

• Like 1

The incredible autograph weekend continued.  Went to a team autograph event with the Mud Hens on Sunday, and got many cards, books, yearbooks, and programs signed.

Former Tigers included:  Jim Aducci, Tyler Collins, Matt Den Dekker, Buck Farmer, Bryan Holaday, Jacoby Jones, Logan Kensing, and Kyle Ryan. 

But the ones I really wanted were Jeimer Candelario, who signed two cards and who played for the Tigers last week, and Omar infante, who signed my two "The Detroit Tigers" pictorial books and two 2006 Post-Season programs.  Most of the players were extremely friendly, but it was obvious that Jeimer had something else on his mind; maybe there is a language barrier with him?

Included in the autos were 9 full page color autos of the players from the 2016 and 2017 Tiger yearbooks. I think all the Mud Hens players were there and signed for me except Sunday starting pitcher Josh Turley; even Jim Adduci was there, despite just arriving from Detroit.  However, the coaches did not participate.

No, only season ticket holders.  My friend is a season ticket holder and got me in.

There was a team event open to the public, but it was on Father's Day so I could not make it.

Dave, I love reading the successes. I haven't received any Tigers autographs recently, hence no sharing. I am going to the Shelton Whitecaps game...might get the bobblehead signed if we get there early enough.

On 8/12/2017 at 4:28 PM, detroittigerfan said:

Going to see if we can keep this "SUCCESSES" thread going...

On Thursday night former Tiger and Michigan QB Rick Leach signed three books, two footballs (with "Go Blue, # 7"), two baseballs, two photos, and four cards for me; obviously, only a few items are for my collection!  It was the MSU/U of M rivalry at 5/3 Ballpark, sponsored by the West Michigan WhiteCaps.  Huge crowd, but basically very few collectors.  I could have gotten more; in fact, I think Leach may have left a little early because no one else was in line.  After the initial rush where you could only get one item signed, the Caps eliminated any restrictions.

Forgot to mention something about Leach.  One of the books he signed was a leather-bound book titled "MICHIGAN, Champions of the West" by Bruce Madej.  It is about sports history at the U of M, and is already signed by Brenden Morrison, Red Berenson, Don Lund, Bill Freehan, Elaine Crosby, Bo Schembechler, Don Canham, Dan Dierdorf, Chris Sabo, and Anthony Carter.  Leach enjoyed signing his name just below the final signature, that of a former U of M football star from the '30's, some guy named Gerald Ford!

Rick also signed a photo in another book, showing him with Bo.  He joked about Bo "sure yelling a lot at me" in his four years as Michigan QB!

• Like 1

Another great night at 5/3 Ballpark, where at a private session I got Chris "Big Red" Shelton to sign some books, photos, and his bobblehead.  Very easy guy to talk to; apparently he now coaches high school baseball in Utah.

After the game Alan Trammell signed his rookie card for me.  I now have the 4 rookie 1978 Topps cards signed by Tram plus Parrish, Whitaker, and Morris.  Really excited about getting this done.  I would guess that Tram will be around 5/3 Ballpark through either Sunday or Monday.

Also had a nice discussion with Mark DeHem, who owned the contents of the mega-Detroit Tiger auction that was held last week in Ann Arbor.  Overall he was very pleased with the results, but was somewhat shocked (pleasantly) over the price of the signed baseballs.  He was also surprised over the results of some of the private and historic letters signed by Tiger executives that went for much less than what he expected.  The original document where Fetzer sold the Tigers to Monaghan, and signed by both individuals as well as Jim Campbell, was bid up to over $2,000, but did not sell since it had a reserve more than double that amount.

My friend purchased a lot of the vintage 16mm tapes, going back as far as 1939, and we are looking forward to seeing the contents once we can find a 16mm camera!  Among the tapes are the 1945 World Series and the historic 1968 season.  One-of-a-kind stuff!  I was not at the auction, but I did see all the stuff the day before at an auction preview.  Some of the items went back to 1902, the year after the Tigers joined the nearly-formed American League. 

3 hours ago, detroittigerfan said:

Another great night at 5/3 Ballpark, where at a private session I got Chris "Big Red" Shelton to sign some books, photos, and his bobblehead.  Very easy guy to talk to; apparently he now coaches high school baseball in Utah.

After the game Alan Trammell signed his rookie card for me.  I now have the 4 rookie 1978 Topps cards signed by Tram plus Parrish, Whitaker, and Morris.  Really excited about getting this done.  I would guess that Tram will be around 5/3 Ballpark through either Sunday or Monday.

Also had a nice discussion with Mark DeHem, who owned the contents of the mega-Detroit Tiger auction that was held last week in Ann Arbor.  Overall he was very pleased with the results, but was somewhat shocked (pleasantly) over the price of the signed baseballs.  He was also surprised over the results of some of the private and historic letters signed by Tiger executives that went for much less than what he expected.  The original document where Fetzer sold the Tigers to Monaghan, and signed by both individuals as well as Jim Campbell, was bid up to over $2,000, but did not sell since it had a reserve more than double that amount.

My friend purchased a lot of the vintage 16mm tapes, going back as far as 1939, and we are looking forward to seeing the contents once we can find a 16mm camera!  Among the tapes are the 1945 World Series and the historic 1968 season.  One-of-a-kind stuff!  I was not at the auction, but I did see all the stuff the day before at an auction preview.  Some of the items went back to 1902, the year after the Tigers joined the nearly-formed American League. 

Neat. Make sure you get those 16mm tapes digitized. Tapes do break down....