Casimir

08/12/2017 6:10pm Minnesota Twins @ Detroit Tigers

92 posts in this topic

Bryce Harper slips on a wet bag and gets carried off the field putting no weight on his leg.

 

Yikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Next year Upton stays, Mahtook proves he is for real, Nick proves to be a competent OF, Tigers sign Moustakas to play 3B, Miggy returns to his old self and Stewart comes up and performs admirably in the DH spot.    I can dream right?

Good grief, not another 3Bdude.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casimir said:

You're overthinking it.  Ivy League told him to win it.  He finally used some decent strategy for once.

Ivy League is so dumb he's taking tips from baseball-savant Castellanos about what position he should play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jumping the gun a bit but damn would it be nice if Mahtook turns out to be real.  It gives me some hope since he was a former 1st round pick, if he could just play a competent CF with a .750+ OPS that would just be huge for the organization.

While we're jumping the gun, what about McCann? Seems to have also figured some things out in this same window.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Good grief, not another 3Bdude.....

I just want as many assets as we can get.  I know signing Moustakas isn't going to happen but hypothetically if they were willing to spend money I wouldn't shy away from somebody just because they play a certain position.  You could always trade your prospects for other pieces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I just want as many assets as we can get.  I know signing Moustakas isn't going to happen but hypothetically if they were willing to spend money I wouldn't shy away from somebody just because they play a certain position.  You could always trade your prospects for other pieces. 

I'd prefer to go the route of Candelario.  I'm all in on him starting at 3B next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

What do you mean you don't get it. 

They are generational talents at the peak of their game that had to be signed to massive contracts if we wanted them to stay. 

Will do you get it now?  The JV contract is bearable in relationship to Cabrera.  I get it that they were generational talents but they had (going on memory) 2 or 3 years left on the existing contracts.  The extension do not look too good now.  Same can be said for and Fielder and Zimmerman contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeff Farrell will be promoted presumably for mujica. Cabrera won't play tomorrow due to hip/back tightness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kdog said:

Jeff Farrell will be promoted presumably for mujica. Cabrera won't play tomorrow due to hip/back tightness.

Funny I thought he was moving well in the field today - maybe too well and that became the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Will do you get it now?  The JV contract is bearable in relationship to Cabrera.  I get it that they were generational talents but they had (going on memory) 2 or 3 years left on the existing contracts.  The extension do not look too good now.  Same can be said for and Fielder and Zimmerman contracts.

Fielder and Zimmerman were not extensions. They were FA. Different ball of wax.

And Miggy and JV had two years left. But if you get to one the cost either goes way up or they just go to FA and you get nothing. If you want to me that cut throat and let everybody go after their 29th birthday more power to you. I don't have a problem with signing guys like JV and Cabrera to long-term deals. 

And nobody would care about their contracts if we won a WS, problem is we missed half the equation. Ask Cubs fans if they really care about Lester or Zobrist. They will say bad contract, but without them we don't win a WS so Ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contracts like those for Pujols and Cabrera need to be left out of the "overpay, dead money" discussion.  Those owners knew exactly what they were doing, when they did it.  They wanted a top-20 all-time hitter to finish his career in front of their fans, and possibly wear their team's hat on their first-ballot plaque in the Hall (probably not happening with Pujols, a lock with Cabrera).  They were hoping for 3 or 4 more years of production, knew that they probably wouldn't get it, and they knew that the back end of the contract would be abysmal.  They knew that going in, they knew that they were overpaying, probably by at least double, for any remaining useful value that Pujols and Cabrera might have.  So we don't need to compare their production to their contracts, everybody knew at the time that the contracts had little to do with remaining useful value.  Trout and Harper will get contracts like that, probably 2 each.

Verlander is a little bit different, you could convince yourself even now that he still has what it takes to earn the remaining money with his Cy-worthy season last year and his performance over his last 10 starts this year.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's much doubt that we'll see pretty close to full value with Verlander's contract...particularly when compared to Miggy's.  Unfortunately...I don't think this is the last year we pay Miggy dozens of millions for a .750 OPS.  And I'm not ruling out a bounce back for a few years .  I'm thinking that the last few years of his contract will almost certainly be brutal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Ortiz is the North Star--he got healthy and put up some very good seasons late in his career.  Hopefully, Miggy gets healthy and comfortable at DH.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not worried about this season being the decline of Cabrera.  I'm still going with the theory that he's not completely healthy and that is the primary driver for the subCabrera season.  That's not to say that he might need to start making some adjustments to his on field approach sooner rather than later.  But I think a full offseason and some more time at DH next season will help him get back into the normal Cabrera neighborhood of production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2017 at 0:29 AM, Keepleyland2 said:

Fielder and Zimmerman were not extensions. They were FA. Different ball of wax.

And Miggy and JV had two years left. But if you get to one the cost either goes way up or they just go to FA and you get nothing. If you want to me that cut throat and let everybody go after their 29th birthday more power to you. I don't have a problem with signing guys like JV and Cabrera to long-term deals. 

And nobody would care about their contracts if we won a WS, problem is we missed half the equation. Ask Cubs fans if they really care about Lester or Zobrist. They will say bad contract, but without them we don't win a WS so Ok. 

Damn straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2017 at 1:22 AM, Charles Liston said:

Contracts like those for Pujols and Cabrera need to be left out of the "overpay, dead money" discussion.  Those owners knew exactly what they were doing, when they did it.  They wanted a top-20 all-time hitter to finish his career in front of their fans, and possibly wear their team's hat on their first-ballot plaque in the Hall (probably not happening with Pujols, a lock with Cabrera).  They were hoping for 3 or 4 more years of production, knew that they probably wouldn't get it, and they knew that the back end of the contract would be abysmal.  They knew that going in, they knew that they were overpaying, probably by at least double, for any remaining useful value that Pujols and Cabrera might have.  So we don't need to compare their production to their contracts, everybody knew at the time that the contracts had little to do with remaining useful value.  Trout and Harper will get contracts like that, probably 2 each.

Verlander is a little bit different, you could convince yourself even now that he still has what it takes to earn the remaining money with his Cy-worthy season last year and his performance over his last 10 starts this year.

Absolutely.  Comparing the contracts given to future HoFers in their prime to those given to mortals really misses the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2017 at 0:29 AM, Keepleyland2 said:

Fielder and Zimmerman were not extensions. They were FA. Different ball of wax.

And Miggy and JV had two years left. But if you get to one the cost either goes way up or they just go to FA and you get nothing. If you want to me that cut throat and let everybody go after their 29th birthday more power to you. I don't have a problem with signing guys like JV and Cabrera to long-term deals. 

And nobody would care about their contracts if we won a WS, problem is we missed half the equation. Ask Cubs fans if they really care about Lester or Zobrist. They will say bad contract, but without them we don't win a WS so Ok. 

My comments were just an opinion and my thoughts, nothing more. I do not feel honoring a contract is being cut throat.  I just think the contract extensions were pre-mature.  Just an opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now