Casimir

Players' Weekend Jerseys

Obviously Castellanos is not committed to "Nicholas", so I think we can retire that one right now.

Without name & number, could you pick out the Tiger jersey?  Of course, the one without navy blue on it.  The one that was copied and pasted with San Francisco and Miami.  Makes sense, right?

I do like the "Corey's Brother".  That amuses me.

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

Obviously Castellanos is not committed to "Nicholas", so I think we can retire that one right now.

I never got the impression that he was going to go by Nicholas casually. He explained it like he wanted to be listed officially as Nicholas, but seeing as these other jerseys say things like fulm piece it makes sense that he would choose Nick over Nicholas. 

long story short, I think the Nicholas thing is still a thing. 

23 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

We have a GO on gimmicky jerseys to make a few extra bucks.

This is just another cheezy commercial gimmick. Its like every other weekend there is some "special" jersey or hat being worn for this or that. I'm good with some stuff but this one takes the cake.

Putting the New Era logo on the side of the MLB hat$ this season was $mooth. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I never got the impression that he was going to go by Nicholas casually. He explained it like he wanted to be listed officially as Nicholas, but seeing as these other jerseys say things like fulm piece it makes sense that he would choose Nick over Nicholas. 

long story short, I think the Nicholas thing is still a thing. 

What Nick does is up to him, obviously, but I don't see much point in being listed as Nicholas and asked to be referred to as Nicholas if he's going to continue being "Nick" on an everyday basis. But, the point is clear to him, and that's the important part. Maybe it's a tribute to a relative?

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

What Nick does is up to him, obviously, but I don't see much point in being listed as Nicholas and asked to be referred to as Nicholas if he's going to continue being "Nick" on an everyday basis. But, the point is clear to him, and that's the important part. Maybe it's a tribute to a relative?

I guess I don't feel like the decision was intended to be as a big a deal as it was. He said something like, "my driver's license and other official things list me as Nicholas so I think it should be the same thing professionally." I kind of get that. My business cards have my full name but I don't introduce myself with my full name or go by my full name. 

Was at Wrigley this past Saturday and a dude was walking around with a Cubs jersey on.  The back said 'YOUR NAME' and number 00.  Either this guy is very funny or extremely dumb. 

24 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I guess I don't feel like the decision was intended to be as a big a deal as it was. He said something like, "my driver's license and other official things list me as Nicholas so I think it should be the same thing professionally." I kind of get that. My business cards have my full name but I don't introduce myself with my full name or go by my full name. 

True, but by the same token, in terms of how public they are, your business cards are almost the opposite of how public "Nicholas" name would be. "Nicholas" would presumably appear on all the records, the broadcasts, the newspaper accounts, etc., so the change is a very public rendering. It's been kind of confusing, too, because it wasn't a full-on campaign for change. Baseball-Reference bought off on Nicholas, but Fangraphs hasn't (yet). Even MLB is a little confused: his records at mlb.com are marked with "Nicholas", but the MLB Shop is still selling based on "Nick".

I would not be surprised if he goes back completely to Nick by the end of the 2018 season.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

True, but by the same token, in terms of how public they are, your business cards are almost the opposite of how public "Nicholas" name would be. "Nicholas" would presumably appear on all the records, the broadcasts, the newspaper accounts, etc., so the change is a very public rendering. It's been kind of confusing, too, because it wasn't a full-on campaign for change. Baseball-Reference bought off on Nicholas, but Fangraphs hasn't (yet). Even MLB is a little confused: his records at mlb.com are marked with "Nicholas", but the MLB Shop is still selling based on "Nick".

I would not be surprised if he goes back completely to Nick by the end of the 2018 season.

Well, fangraphs or bbref aren't owned or operated by MLB/Tigers. The media guide and official website and press releases and things like that probably list him as Nicholas. 

Whether that hack mccosky goes along with it, or reverts to habit and writes Nick is not something that is enforceable. I seem to remember when the news came out in the spring that that he told the writers they could call him whatever they want.

It kind of reminds me of the sponsorship names for bowl games. When a game had a sponsor name ahead of the actual name, you would see the broadcast partner (espn almost all the time) and the corresponding website use the sponsor name every time, but that was part of the broadcast contract. But a newspaper writer doesn't have to follow that convention. 

This was really just a minor change in the way he was listed professionally from what it had been before. He's not going around and telling his friends and teammates to call him by a different name. 

That said, his decision to change it is kind of weird. Most players just go by their casual name. It's not Michael Trout or Julio D. Martinez or Alexander Wilson in any of the official listings from the team/league. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Well, fangraphs or bbref aren't owned or operated by MLB/Tigers. The media guide and official website and press releases and things like that probably list him as Nicholas. 

Whether that hack mccosky goes along with it, or reverts to habit and writes Nick is not something that is enforceable. I seem to remember when the news came out in the spring that that he told the writers they could call him whatever they want.

It kind of reminds me of the sponsorship names for bowl games. When a game had a sponsor name ahead of the actual name, you would see the broadcast partner (espn almost all the time) and the corresponding website use the sponsor name every time, but that was part of the broadcast contract. But a newspaper writer doesn't have to follow that convention. 

This was really just a minor change in the way he was listed professionally from what it had been before. He's not going around and telling his friends and teammates to call him by a different name. 

That said, his decision to change it is kind of weird. Most players just go by their casual name. It's not Michael Trout or Julio D. Martinez or Alexander Wilson in any of the official listings from the team/league. 

And you know this how?

If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al

Kyle Seager.

This leads me to believe that Corey Seager is Kyle's brother, but I don't know what he has on his jersey.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

He should,  The name change was a huge mistake.