Casimir

08/08/2017 7:05pm Detroit Tigers @ Pittsburgh Pirates

102 posts in this topic

Live from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania...

5989642016.gif 7112502014.gif

Detroit Tigers (51-60) Pittsburgh Pirates (55-57)

TV on FSD.  Radio on 97.1 the Ticket and your MLB At Bat app.

Hey @Who is the Drizzle? Remember when we got into a prolonged argument about whether or not it made sense to put McCann on the opening day roster that one year rather than waiting a few weeks to get an extra year of control? And then we agreed to a truce from all the sniping we were doing. But then later in the season you called It off after I broke the terms of the truce. 

Not sure what made me think of it, but I went back and looked it up to see what I said, and it was some sarcastic cross-thread comment referring to JD during a discussion about signing heyward. (I mentioned something about knowing him when he was growing up and having super scouting powers). I wish I could locate the other thread. 

August 8, 1920 - The Tigers win the shortest game in American League history, beating the New York Yankees 1-0 in 1 hour and 13 minutes.  The Tigers score their only run in the fourth inning when Ty Cobb scoots home on a wild pitch by Yankees hurler Rip Collins.  In the fifth inning, the Yankees lose an opportunity to score when Tigers second baseman Ralph Young successfully executes a hidden ball trick on Yankees outfielder Ping Brodie.

August 8, 1991 - The Tigers set a team record by striking out 21 times in 14 innings against the Toronto Blue Jays but still win 4-0.  Designated hitter Cecil Fielder leads the whiff parade with 4 strikeouts in 7 at bats, with first baseman Dave Bergman the only Tigers starter not to strike out at least once.  The Tigers win with 14th inning home runs by Mark Salas and Mickey Tettleton off of Jays reliever Tom Henke, while Tigers pitchers Bill Gullickson, Mike Henneman, Jerry Don Gleaton, and Paul Gibson hold Toronto scoreless.

August 8, 2001 - The Tigers tie a major league record by scoring 13 runs in the 9th inning to break a 6-6 tie and beat the Texas Rangers 19-6.  Randall Simon has 4 RBI with a triple and a single in the inning, while Shane Halter bests him with 5 RBI coming from a double and a grand slam.  Deivi Cruz also homers in the inning, with Damion Easley and Ryan Jackson handling the rest of the RBI.  The game also marks the first time since 1990 that both starting pitchers are making their major league debut - Nate Cornejo for Detroit and Joaquin Benoit for Texas.  Fellow future Tiger Craig Monroe makes the final out of the game for the Rangers.

August 8, 2004 - The Tigers lose to the Boston Red Sox 11-9 despite hitting 7 home runs.  Boston pitcher Tim Wakefield ties a major league record by giving up 6 of the blasts but still collects the win, making him the first pitcher to pull that off since 1932.  Ivan Rodriguez and Eric Munson have 2 home runs each, with the remaining being hit by Craig Monroe, Carlos Pena, and Dmitri Young.  Nate Robertson takes the loss for Detroit, giving up 8 runs in 3 innings.  The rest of the game is pitched by the immortal collection of Roberto Novoa, John Ennis, Al Levine, and Jamie Walker.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Hey @Who is the Drizzle? Remember when we got into a prolonged argument about whether or not it made sense to put McCann on the opening day roster that one year rather than waiting a few weeks to get an extra year of control? And then we agreed to a truce from all the sniping we were doing. But then later in the season you called It off after I broke the terms of the truce. 

Not sure what made me think of it, but I went back and looked it up to see what I said, and it was some sarcastic cross-thread comment referring to JD during a discussion about signing heyward. (I mentioned something about knowing him when he was growing up and having super scouting powers). I wish I could locate the other thread. 

Yeah that was classic. iirc, you asked for a truce and i agreed but then you just sniped me indirectly (from my view, anyways). so i figured i'd blow it up.

Oh, we're cross-threading now? Truce over.

Stick your head in the sand and fart out more sarcasm, it's easier for you than ever admitting your wrong about something, apparently.

Classic Drizzle.

10 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Classic Drizzle.

Hey, has anybody else ever got Lee to say this to them?

On 8/14/2015 at 7:12 PM, tiger337 said:

You have done no such thing. It's just difficult having a civil discussion with you and has been for a while. Time to use the ignore feature for the first time in about five years.

1 person likes this

I just wish I knew what exactly it was in the other thread that I wouldn't admit I was wrong about!

i know that when JD was signed I made fun of the low risk high reward comment. But even after JD got off to his strong start in 2014, people were still skeptical at the end of that season. 

Maybe I was adamant that 2014 was going to be a career year. But how that related to Avila knowing JD and being an awesome scout of talent is unclear. 

2 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

That's one of the most polite and elongated ways to say STFU that I have ever seen.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I just wish I knew what exactly it was in the other thread that I wouldn't admit I was wrong about!

i know that when JD was signed I made fun of the low risk high reward comment. But even after JD got off to his strong start in 2014, people were still skeptical at the end of that season. 

Maybe I was adamant that 2014 was going to be a career year. But how that related to Avila knowing JD and being an awesome scout of talent is unclear. 

I snuck in the link in my last point. I was saying that JD was a scouting signing more than an analytics signing, citing direct quotes from Al and Micro as evidence. I also brilliantly referenced Tom Brady :dead:

You and lee and pyro were being obtuse about it. Shocking, I know.

7 minutes ago, Casimir said:

That's one of the most polite and elongated ways to say STFU that I have ever seen.

I doubt lee knew what that stood for back then.

11 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Yes, once every five years apparently.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

Yes, once every five years apparently.  

You took him off of ignore?

25 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I snuck in the link in my last point. I was saying that JD was a scouting signing more than an analytics signing, citing direct quotes from Al and Micro as evidence. I also brilliantly referenced Tom Brady :dead:

Yeah I found it. That was a great thread. I still contend that the identification of JD as a minor league signing had far more to do with their previous relationship than it did with their scouting. As I said in that thread, if the Tigers thought they had identified something great due to their scouting, they would have offered more than they did when they engaged the Astros in trade talks. The Astros didn't have to release him, so not giving up something halfway decent to get him would have been too big of a risk. All Houston had to do was not release him, and he would have mashed in AAA and made the Astros later that season. If the scouting predicted even a good outfielder, they had to make that trade when they had the chance. Lucky for us the Astros inexplicably released him. 

24 minutes ago, Casimir said:

You took him off of ignore?

He was probably on it for a day.  Ignore does not work for me.  I always wind up reading the ignored stuff anyway. Plus, I am not good at holding grudges.  

Play Candelabra Brad.

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yeah I found it. That was a great thread. I still contend that the identification of JD as a minor league signing had far more to do with their previous relationship than it did with their scouting. As I said in that thread, if the Tigers thought they had identified something great due to their scouting, they would have offered more than they did when they engaged the Astros in trade talks. The Astros didn't have to release him, so not giving up something halfway decent to get him would have been too big of a risk. All Houston had to do was not release him, and he would have mashed in AAA and made the Astros later that season. If the scouting predicted even a good outfielder, they had to make that trade when they had the chance. Lucky for us the Astros inexplicably released him. 

For sure it doesn't totally add up. But these things don't always work logically.

Why didn't the Astros trade him instead of cut him? Why didn't the Tigers claim him instead of risking that he wouldn't clear waivers? Maybe that had more to do with DD not thinking much of JD--it's pure speculation, but that'd be the only thing that'd make sense.

6 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

For sure it doesn't totally add up. But these things don't always work logically.

Why didn't the Astros trade him instead of cut him? Why didn't the Tigers claim him instead of risking that he wouldn't clear waivers? Maybe that had more to do with DD not thinking much of JD--it's pure speculation, but that'd be the only thing that'd make sense.

All good questions. I think the answer is that the Tigers weren't that high on him, despite their scouting. Claiming him would have cost a 40 man spot. That's not a huge deal. The Astros probably didn't trade him because they have a reputation for asking for a lot in trades. Still, if the Tigers really liked him due to their scouting identifying something great, the Tigers would have claimed him at the cost of a 40 man spot or traded something of modest or even good value to get him. 

24 minutes ago, kdog said:

Play Candelabra Brad.

Thanks.

Who can play third base, and spit a little chew
Cover it with leather and a switch hit too
The Candy Man, oh the Candy Man can
The Candy Man can 'cause he mixes his hits with a good glove and makes the Tigers so good

My apologies to Sammy.

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I was close last season with all of my Brad complaints. I even got tired of it myself. Did you have me on ignore, Lee?

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I was close last season with all of my Brad complaints. I even got tired of it myself. Did you have me on ignore, Lee?

No, you have never been on ignore.  I hardly ever use ignore.  

47 minutes ago, Shelton said:

All good questions. I think the answer is that the Tigers weren't that high on him, despite their scouting. Claiming him would have cost a 40 man spot. That's not a huge deal. The Astros probably didn't trade him because they have a reputation for asking for a lot in trades. Still, if the Tigers really liked him due to their scouting identifying something great, the Tigers would have claimed him at the cost of a 40 man spot or traded something of modest or even good value to get him. 

I'm positive they didn't see *this* JD coming. Even after he was on the team it took a month or two for him to get a full-time role.

2 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Get this: You'd have to be a stupid idiot not to want to sign a 25 year old who has mashed the ball in the minors for free

I'm going to keep being obtuse about it because if it took a personal scouting relationship to make that realization clear, every other MLB team is run by utter morons.

Now if you want to say "JD signed with the Tigers rather than another organization because of the personal connection" or "The Tigers were able to guarantee JD a better chance than other organizations because their scouting of him made them more confident he could produce in MLB" I'd have no issues with it. 

But literally any organization should have wanted to sign JD. If they didn't, they're stupid. 

11 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Get this: You'd have to be a stupid idiot not to want to sign a 25 year old who has mashed the ball in the minors for free

I'm going to keep being obtuse about it because if it took a personal scouting relationship to make that realization clear, every other MLB team is run by utter morons.

Now if you want to say "JD signed with the Tigers rather than another organization because of the personal connection" or "The Tigers were able to guarantee JD a better chance than other organizations because their scouting of him made them more confident he could produce in MLB" I'd have no issues with it. 

But literally any organization should have wanted to sign JD. If they didn't, they're stupid. 

Classic pyro. Go strong and wrong with 5 different things.

How's Gabriel Quintana doing nowadays?

3 hours ago, BoomGaspar said:

August 8, 2004 - The Tigers lose to the Boston Red Sox 11-9 despite hitting 7 home runs.  Boston pitcher Tim Wakefield ties a major league record by giving up 6 of the blasts but still collects the win, making him the first pitcher to pull that off since 1932.  Ivan Rodriguez and Eric Munson have 2 home runs each, with the remaining being hit by Craig Monroe, Carlos Pena, and Dmitri Young.  Nate Robertson takes the loss for Detroit, giving up 8 runs in 3 innings.  The rest of the game is pitched by the immortal collection of Roberto Novoa, John Ennis, Al Levine, and Jamie Walker.

That game is a bad memory that won't go away. 

No Candelario tonight. Deuce hitting second(RF) and Romine(SS) hitting 8th. Blastellanos continues to play(v a righty) with his .448 OPS this month.

Iglesias will be back tomorrow so Jeimer is headed back to Toledo.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

No Candelario tonight. Deuce hitting second(RF) and Romine(SS) hitting 8th. Blastellanos continues to play(v a righty) with his .448 OPS this month.

Iglesias will be back tomorrow so Jeimer is headed back to Toledo.

As Jim would say, "It makes absolutely no sense, no sense at all."