RedRamage

Would you left Verlander and/or Kinsler and/or Cabrera go on waivers?

So let's say the Tigers put up Kinsler, Verlander, and Cabrera on waivers and someone claims one of them... would you let one of them go?  I mean, I think all three of those guys can still be productive to some degree and I think all three are still fan favorites.  But each also has a very big price tag attached and would free up A LOT of salary for a rebuild attempt.

If you were the one in charge, would you left one of those guys go to another team just to get out of the contact?

Nope. 

While on the topic, I think there is a decent chance Verlander gets claimed on waivers. For one thing, it's certain that Avila isn't going to let him go for nothing just to be rid of the contract. So there is no risk that the claiming team would get stuck with a contract. The benefit is that if he goes anywhere this season, he's going to that team. If I'm the Yankees or Red Sox or even Astros, I don't think I want to see Verlander ending up with any of those other teams. 

Yeah, I would be shocked if someone grabbed Miggy or JV... but the question is: "What if someone did?"

I think I would if it was Kinsler, I probably would with Cabrera as well.  I'd be more hesitant on JV though... I think he might still be productive and an innings eater as you bring the young guys along.

JV - no.    Two years remaining and he hasn't lost much at all, despite the poor season.  I don't consider this a bad contract at all.

Kinsler - no.  Not a bad contract. Provides lots of value for the club even at this level, and there's a decent chance he rebounds a bit next season.

Miggy - yes.  $184 million is too much money and after his 2017 campaign, you have to be very concerned with what you are getting from him the next 3-4 years, let alone the full 6 years remaining.   Plus the value of power hitting corner guys has really plummeted.  Being rid of his contract would go a long ways towards fixing the current and future payroll predicament this team has. 

That said, no one will claim Miggy.  I think JV and Kinsler probably would be claimed, but I don't see an August trade for either. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Nope. 

While on the topic, I think there is a decent chance Verlander gets claimed on waivers. For one thing, it's certain that Avila isn't going to let him go for nothing just to be rid of the contract. So there is no risk that the claiming team would get stuck with a contract. The benefit is that if he goes anywhere this season, he's going to that team. If I'm the Yankees or Red Sox or even Astros, I don't think I want to see Verlander ending up with any of those other teams. 

prolly accurate.

and no one in their right mind would claim Cabrera. That was strictly a home town legacy contract. It's not worth it to anyone else --  it's not really even worth it to us. Which is to day - absolutely - if someone is crazy enough to take Miguel for what he is owed, you absolutely have to let them.

Or another way to put it: We over signed him to get his MVP years, and we got them. Anyone willing to take on that payment obligation after we got the performance it bought is giving you a gift you have to take.

I wouldn't want to let Cabrera go, but if I knew that doing so would be the thing that allowed us to build a stronger team, then yeah. 

I still think he's going to be valuable going forward. Overpaid, sure. But I think you can still build around him, even with the large contract. 

I would need to know I could use that money elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, I would be shocked if someone grabbed Miggy or JV... but the question is: "What if someone did?"

I think I would if it was Kinsler, I probably would with Cabrera as well.  I'd be more hesitant on JV though... I think he might still be productive and an innings eater as you bring the young guys along.

I agree.  Cabrera yes, Kinsler yes,

I don't think keeping JV is as bad as people are saying.  I know he is not pitching to his contract potential but he is still serviceable and pitching well lately.  You can always trade him next year at the deadline if he continues to pitch well and his contract will be one year lighter and get some better trade value.

No to all.  We don't need to cut payroll, so why giveaway guys that can still help?  None are blocking anyone, let them stay and rebound.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

No to all.  We don't need to cut payroll, so why giveaway guys that can still help?  None are blocking anyone, let them stay and rebound.

That's it exactly, they aren't blocking anyone.

I'm OK with keeping JV for the remainder of his contract and beyond...he'll be a good role model for the likes of Funkman, Burrows, Manning et al...  ("I don't care if this is Detroit.  You win 20 and you will bang super models"..)

• Like 1

You would of course let Miggy go and not the others. Not a tough decision. You can get assets for the other two and they are positive players for the rest of their contracts most likely. Miggy is a disaster and there is immense value in being free from that deal.

On 8/3/2017 at 10:21 PM, Charles Liston said:

That's it exactly, they aren't blocking anyone.

Let Casty and Stewart have 1B/DH, suppemnt with a cheap vet maybe

On 8/3/2017 at 5:28 PM, Shelton said:

I wouldn't want to let Cabrera go, but if I knew that doing so would be the thing that allowed us to build a stronger team, then yeah. 

I still think he's going to be valuable going forward. Overpaid, sure. But I think you can still build around him, even with the large contract. 

I would need to know I could use that money elsewhere. 

If you're simply putting money back in the owners pocket, sure, its the wrong move in terms of baseball only. Build around though? He better OPS .900 again...

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He very well could OPS 0.900+ again.

Of course. Its just a question of how much you're willing to bet on it. Imagine him and his salary are removed from the roster. He's on the open market. Do you offter him the remainer of his current deal as a new contract?

6 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Of course. Its just a question of how much you're willing to bet on it. Imagine him and his salary are removed from the roster. He's on the open market. Do you offter him the remainer of his current deal as a new contract?

Of course not. But that's not the reality of the situation. Being a franchise icon and future hall of famer does count for something. 

That said, if he were claimed, you gotta let him go. That is the rational and logical choice. But there is also a 0.0% chance he is claimed. 

My earlier comment was mostly based on the idea that if team does not have a cash flow problem, and his salary doesn't prevent them from signing/acquiring other players at other positions, then I don't care if he is overpaid relative to his production. I think going forward he will still provide the most value at 1B/DH relative to the other players we have in the system. That's what I mean by build around. 

The payroll may be tight in 2018, but they still have enough room under the tax to add a good corner outfielder if they decide to supplement the current roster. If you were to dump Cabrera somehow (for zero return), then you are just opening up one more spot that you need to fill to match his production. Maybe you can do that for half the cost, but you're just saving the owner money at that point. 

I would rather keep the franchise icon and overpay him than replace him with some dude and save the owner some money. 

On 8/3/2017 at 4:02 PM, Tenacious D said:

A decent GM can do quite a lot with $30MM a season, including a replacement 1B and probably a couple of other guys who can play regularly for you.  

58 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

His BABIP is 40 points lower than last season and 50 points lower than his career average. It's definitely possible.  

But there seems to be some warning signs in the numbers, if you ask me, so I don't think he can sustain as high of a level of performance for the next 3-4 seasons as I thought last winter. 

1 hour ago, ballmich said:

His BABIP is 40 points lower than last season and 50 points lower than his career average. It's definitely possible.  

But there seems to be some warning signs in the numbers, if you ask me, so I don't think he can sustain as high of a level of performance for the next 3-4 seasons as I thought last winter. 

I think is still goes back to health and that Miguel has to admit at some point that he will have to give something up in his approach, and right now he isn't willing to. Price has been noting that guys are beating him inside with hard stuff quite easily. He could back out a little but he won't because he still wants to reach outside the same way as always. But at 35+ he may have to come to terms with not trying to do everything anymore. If he can keep his weight down and it helps his back next season, that willingness to adjust a little should be all that would keep him from being very valuable again - even if not MVP level.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I would bet on him doing that.  I would not bet on him doing it consistently or staying healthy enough to get 600 PA consistently.