Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Romine wants to play all 9 positions... why not all 10?

47 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Apparently Ausmus has said Sunday will likely be the day for "Romine plays the Nine!"

I know a lot of people earlier posted that they would hate to see this because it would signal "giving up" or that it would be a gimmick rather than "real" baseball...

Given that the Tigers are of course completely out of it... and given that a win or a loss for the Twin will make zero difference in terms of playoff positioning for any team in the AL... are you still against this? The game will be meaningless in terms of standings.  They could completely not play the game is it wouldn't matter for the post season.  Further, it's obvious the Tigers have just started mailing it in already so we're not even really going to see them trying their hardest. It's as close to an exhibition game as you can get in the regular season.  Given this, does it change your opinion on whether you'd allow or even want to see the 'gimmick'?

Now after answering that question... here's a twist on it: Would it change your opinion if the Tigers were 62 and 99?  Would you prefer to see them come out in that last game and do everything they could to avoid getting 100 losses?

I honestly kinda like to see gimmick stuff when there's no other reason to watch the game.  Now if it's a matter of trying to avoid that 100th loss?  Well, I guess I don't really care because: 1.) As much as I dislike seeing the Tigers fall from grace, in a few years this will be just one more season in the memory banks.  and 2.) This assumes the Tigers will actually play hard with pride and try to avoid that 100th loss.  I have no confidence that that would happen.

I don’t care about any of these things. The only thing I will care about on Sunday is the battle for the worst record. If the tigers have clinched the worst record, I will root for them to win. 

The romine thing means nothing to me.

I think they should rotate him to a new position for every single batter.  That'd be something different.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

I think they should rotate him to a new position for every single batter.  That'd be something different.

Get it over with in the first inning. I like it!

4 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Get it over with in the first inning. I like it!

Get it over with in the first inning?

Oh, I see what you did there.  Bravo!

Romine playing all nine positions it not interesting to me at all.  In some innings, he is not even going to get a ball hit to him.  And who is Romine?  How many fans have any strong attachment to him?    

11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Romine playing all nine positions it not interesting to me at all.  In some innings, he is not even going to get a ball hit to him.  And who is Romine?  How many fans have any strong attachment to him?    

Yeah, it’s dumb. If they really wanted to try something different, I would try to have him be part of a play at every position. So start him out at 3rd base or something, and once he gets to make a play, move him to a corner outfield spot immediately. Then have him play there until he fields a ball, and then move to the other corner. Keep doing that until he has actually fielded every position. 

I too think it's silly.

I'll be watching Sunday for Anibal.  I've always rooted for him and hope he finishes strong and can have a career next year.  He gave me 2 of my best in game experiences in May of 2013.  One night he struck out a franchise record 17.  A week or so later he almost no hit the Twins.  1 out in the 9th.  

53 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Also, to your final point, why does romine get to have his name in the history books along with Shane halter, yet don Kelly doesn’t?

I will tell you why. Because Jim Leyland wouldn’t stand for this type of stunt. 

The FSD boys mentioned during Friday's game that there might be some weather on Sunday, and so this little bit've shenanigans that they'of got cooking might be moved to Saturday.

Now if that is the case, and the game gets played on Sunday, too, then why shan't he not do both games?  That'd be record setting, not merely record tying.

They're doing this tonight instead of Sunday for anyone who's interested. He's starting in LF and going to rotate from there.

Couldn't Don Kelly have done this pretty easily? Most SS's could do this easily too. I don't see the big deal.

I could physically stand at all the positions and then throw 4 pitches outside for a walk as a pitcher and then I'd technically have played all 9 positions too. It'd be more impressive if someone actually made a play at each position and was also a competent pitcher. Otherwise, it just proves you can stand in an arbitrary spot.

• Like 1

Fun scolds.

I still want to know what happens if his time at 3B was spent being deployed in short RF whilst shifting against lefty hitters.  Does it still count?

8 hours ago, Scottwood said:

Couldn't Don Kelly have done this pretty easily? Most SS's could do this easily too. I don't see the big deal.

Or Danny Worth. I remember he had a pretty good knuckleball.

8 hours ago, Scottwood said:

I could physically stand at all the positions and then throw 4 pitches outside for a walk as a pitcher and then I'd technically have played all 9 positions too. It'd be more impressive if someone actually made a play at each position and was also a competent pitcher. Otherwise, it just proves you can stand in an arbitrary spot.

I agree it was meaningless.  

12 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I think it's the most freaking awesome thing in the history of ever.

I don't know.  Those jerseys from players weekend give the utility games a run for their money.  I think (nonservice) dogs at the park days are clearly a solid number 3.

10 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Hey everybody look at me.  I'm a dick.

I sure do miss signatures.  B|