Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Romine wants to play all 9 positions... why not all 10?

Just heard Ausmus talking about this possibility. He said if they did do it that they would probably do it in this sox series or the Oakland series, because the twins and royals are still in a race. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

This is silly.  Sparky Anderson would never do this.  

Sparky wouldn't'of stood for a team performing like this.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He would have taken a sabbatical on this season long ago.

Mental exhaustion.  

I'd like to see this but I'm not catching as many Tigers games as I usually do right now. I turned on today's game just in case.

I've got tickets for tonight's Boise State game. One of these oddly scheduled Thursday night games to make ESPN happy. If Romine does this tonight I'll miss it. Oh well. 

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

I've got tickets for tonight's Boise State game. One of these oddly scheduled Thursday night games to make ESPN happy. If Romine does this tonight I'll miss it. Oh well. 

1 PM game today

The only good way to do this is one position one inning at a time. If the Tigers are winning he'd have to play two positions in the 8th inning. 

2 minutes ago, Deadshot said:

1 PM game today

Oh wow.  Thursday day game at the beginning of the series?  And they're already behind 2-0? 

24 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The only good way to do this is one position one inning at a time. If the Tigers are winning he'd have to play two positions in the 8th inning. 

The winning team at home still has to play 9 defensive innings. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Brain fart. Ha!  I haven't been thinking straight since my apartment burned down  

That one should be good for another year at least.

I'd rather they go all they way with this, and have the entire starting lineup all play every position, not just Romine. Every inning everyone rotates positions. Not THAT would be something to see!

Who cares what Romine wants?

Forget playing nine positions, he can't play ONE well enough to establish himself as a starter.

In fact the Tigers had no starting CF this year, if Romine had hit even at a league average level, he would have taken the job. He didn't and he didn't.

2 hours ago, TJ_TJ said:

Who cares what Romine wants?

Forget playing nine positions, he can't play ONE well enough to establish himself as a starter.

In fact the Tigers had no starting CF this year, if Romine had hit even at a league average level, he would have taken the job. He didn't and he didn't.

TJ seems like he has a lot of potential.  He can be part of the MTS re-build.    

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

TJ seems like he has a lot of potential.  He can be part of the MTS re-build.    

He's scrappy.  If he doesn't get too many posts in 2017, he should retain rookie status for 2018 and probably is the odds on favorite for rookie of the year.

So, what happens if he takes over 3B, but due to the Twins’ lineup that inning, the Tigers employ a shift and he is stationed over in short RF for a 1-2-3 inning? Does it still count?

Oh, wait, I suggested the Tigers’ current pitching staff could get a 1-2-3 inning. I apologize for bringing up an impossible scenario.

• Like 1

I still like my idea better. Who wouldn't want to see Iglesias pitching to Machado, with Navarro at SS? I see no downside, other than a slight potential for injury. The entertainment value outweighs it though, especially since the one guy we would want to protect is already hurt.

Apparently Ausmus has said Sunday will likely be the day for "Romine plays the Nine!"

I know a lot of people earlier posted that they would hate to see this because it would signal "giving up" or that it would be a gimmick rather than "real" baseball...

Given that the Tigers are of course completely out of it... and given that a win or a loss for the Twin will make zero difference in terms of playoff positioning for any team in the AL... are you still against this? The game will be meaningless in terms of standings.  They could completely not play the game is it wouldn't matter for the post season.  Further, it's obvious the Tigers have just started mailing it in already so we're not even really going to see them trying their hardest. It's as close to an exhibition game as you can get in the regular season.  Given this, does it change your opinion on whether you'd allow or even want to see the 'gimmick'?

Now after answering that question... here's a twist on it: Would it change your opinion if the Tigers were 62 and 99?  Would you prefer to see them come out in that last game and do everything they could to avoid getting 100 losses?

I honestly kinda like to see gimmick stuff when there's no other reason to watch the game.  Now if it's a matter of trying to avoid that 100th loss?  Well, I guess I don't really care because: 1.) As much as I dislike seeing the Tigers fall from grace, in a few years this will be just one more season in the memory banks.  and 2.) This assumes the Tigers will actually play hard with pride and try to avoid that 100th loss.  I have no confidence that that would happen.

On a purely side note... this might be a pretty low attendance day for fans as well so the Twins might welcome the Tigers trying to go for the gimmicky thing... given that the Vikings and Lions (both 2-1) will be playing in Minny just a few hours earlier, I'm not too sure even Twins' or Tigers' fans would watch much of this game.