Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedRamage

Romine wants to play all 9 positions... why not all 10?

22 posts in this topic

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/08/02/tigers-romine-hopes-play-nine-one-game/104244456/

Romine has stated he'd like to play all 9 positions on the field in one game and Ausmus apparently says he's open to the idea if the opportunity presents itself (ie, an otherwise meaningless game late in the season).  I know it's a manufactured gimmicy thing, but I don't personally have a problem with it if it's done in a meaningless game.

But, here's my thought: Why stop at 9?  Why not play all 9 + the DH?

Now, this gets quite a bit more tricky because you can't move from a position on the field into the DH, so Romine would need to start at the DH (or come off the bench to replace the DH, but why do that?) and of course this means as soon as he moved from DH to another position the Tigers would lose the DH for the rest of the game and the pitcher would have to hit or (more likely) the Tigers would have to put in a pinch hitter every time the pitcher came up to bat.

Granted, expanded rosters would help in this regard providing more bodies to swap in and out, but given that there's already likely going to be some "stress" on the bench due to Romine moving around the field that might make it impossible.  Still, just for the fun of it, here's how I'd do it:

• Top of the 1st: Romine is DH, batting 3rd (This insures he'll bat in the first inning). The CF is batting 2nd.
  • Bottom of 1st, Romine replaces [Insert September call up from minors], playing CF. Tigers lose DH.  Halfway through this inning, Romine moves from CF to RF, trading places with Mahtook who was in RF.
  • Bottom of 2nd, Romine moves to 3rd replacing [insert September call up], Pressley or Adduci come in at RF.
  • Bottom of 3rd Romine moves from 3rd to 1st, Castellanos moves from 1st to 3rd
  • Bottom of 4th Romine moves to Catcher, replacing Hicks, who moves from catcher to 1st.
  • Bottom of 5th Romine moves to 2nd, replacing Kinsler. McCann comes into catch.
  • Bottom of 6th Romine moves to SS,  Machado moves from SS to 2nd.
  • Bottom of 7th Romine moves to Pitcher, Iglesias comes into SS.
  • Bottom of 8th Romine moves to LF
  • Bottom of 9th (if needed), Romine remain in LF.

Okay then the starters would be:

• DH: Romine
  • Catcher: Hicks
  • 1st: Castellanos
  • 2nd: Kinsler
  • SS: Machado
  • 3rd: September Call Up
  • RF: Mahtook
  • CF: September Call Up
  • LF: Upton

That's obviously 9 position guys.  We're also subbing in Presley/Adduci, Iglasias, and McCann so that's 12 position players.  Assume you'll also need at least 6 pinch hitters for the Pitcher position just to be safe... that means you'd need 18 position players.  VMart and Cabrera could each do it once but that still means you'd want at least 6 total September calls ups to make sure you had... pardon the cliche... all the based covered.

Pitching would be strained a bit as well, but not quite as much as you the starter could hopefully go two innings, then swap in long relief guys to get 2-3 innings per pitcher.  You might need a couple of extra guys just to be safe, but this wouldn't be as desperate a situation.

I think it's a hokey kind of thing to do.  I don't think anyone disputes that he can adeptly handle the positions defensively, save for C and maybe CF.  He's pitched already.

I guess if they want to give it a go, the last home series of the season is Chicago, Oakland, and Minnesota.  So, games of 0 magnitude in terms of the playoffs.

I am big fan of Romine but lets get something straight ... Romine is no Shane Halter.  I was at the Shane Halter game where he played all 9 positions (and ironically I think Ausmus went to 3B when Shane was catcher) and let me tell you, it was an amazing effort.  I am not sure if Romine is up to the challenge but I wish him the best.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

But, here's my thought: Why stop at 9?  Why not play all 9 + the DH?

Why stop there, let Romine coach 1B and 3B and sing the national anthem and announce the lineup over the PA and put on the PAWS suit and lead a cheer from the dugout during the 7th stretch.  Maybe he could umpire an inning as well (barring any union rules).  :D

He could be the bat boy if he wasn't due up one inning too.

About time someone else recognizes the need to shake things up with PAWS.

That guy just keeps mailing it in.

1 person likes this

This is a stupid thing. 

The ONLY positive is it removes Shane Halter from a piece of trivia... no matter how trivial.  I hated that guy.  

Oblong : Shane Halter :: Mr. Bigglesworth : James McCann

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Ajax sucks. 

Or Tony Paul?

Just players?

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Ajax sucks. 

Try Lysol... it works well for me.  Or Dawn if you're talking about the dish soap.

It is kind of dopey.  It's sort of like staging a wrestling match between Paws and the San Diego Chicken. Finley did that with  Bert Campaneris and Finley was noted for promotional minded stuff with the A's.  As I recall Bert pitched both right-handed and left-handed.  If by some miracle the Tigers are still in the race for a wildcard they would never do this. Even contemplating it is a sign that you're certain you will not be in the race. 

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Or Tony Paul?

Just players?

I've mellowed on T Paul. It's hard to focus on that hack when that hack Chris McCosky is still out there writing articles with frequent misspellings and other errors. 

1 person likes this

Just now, ballmich said:

Screw Romine. 

Why, so he can claim an 11th position?

... and one more ... he can do this for an inning while waiting to bat.  

This is a thing a team with absolutely nothing to play for does..........SEE: Shane Halter.   Yeah, last day of the season they won't be in the running for the playoffs but they still have something to play for - getting a look at possible future Tigers.   I like Andrew but I don't like this.   Lettuce hope the Tigers don't do this. 

I hated Halter.  My opinion of Romine just went down, it's a "hey everybody look at me" move.

Meh. Although with what seems to be the general consensus Shane Halter annoyed the daylights out of me as well..