Brad Awesomeous

What is a reasonable goal for the rest of this season?

Fulmer should not have dared to arm wrestle Adduci.  That was stupid, and now the team and fans pay for it.  It's obvious that there is no one in the majors than can out-alpha the Deuce.

I hope it was worth it Fulmer.

Jerk.

• Like 2

Wheres the fire?  Fulmer has an inflammation of the nerves which causes his finger to tingle.  This is VERY easy fix. Relax ya bunch of Beavis'.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Goal --> .500  as long as the bullpen does not implode, why not.    

Again, why? 

What is gained?

3 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Again, why? 

What is gained?

I think in baseball and maybe all pro sports, tanking is an exercise by the front office. If they lose, it has to be because Avila keeps his better resources off the roster. The guys that are there have to play to win - you can never allow that to start slipping. Of course having said that part, protecting your pitchers from overwork still trumps everything else. But I don't consider that part of tanking. A manager protecting his pitchers is simply protecting the future of his team, both long and short term, and players understand that if that is why they have to lose a game.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think in baseball and maybe all pro sports, tanking is an exercise by the front office. If they lose, it has to be because Avila keeps his better resources off the roster. The guys that are there have to play to win - you can never allow that start slipping. Of course having said that part, protecting your pitchers from overwork still trumps everything else. But I don't consider that part of tanking. A manager protecting his pitchers is simple protecting the future of his team, both long and short term, and players understand that if that is why they have to lose a game.

I agree to an extent. 

But, I don't get the posters saying .500 should be the goal. Nothing is gain. Here are mine A) nobody gets a major injuries ...lots of space...J) play some kids. 

Again, why? 

What is gained?

Getting up to .500 at this point would probably mean some entertaining baseball took place.  

• Like 2

Again, why? 

What is gained?

Maybe we are getting down to semantics but if the tigers are .500 then the crew we have now may be better than we think and the upside may be shorter.  I see no advantage to having the Tigers play .400 versus .500 with the same group of players they have now.  Only advantage I can see is the firing of the manager (regardless of the final record, we know trades/tweaks need to be made).  I am rooting for the young kids to do well and if they do, then .500 is not out of the question.  I just want to see the kids or the call ups play well.  I really do not care what the final record is.  

17 hours ago, tiger337 said:

this is both true and not so true. The same symptom, but the etiology in Fulmer's case is unknown and is probably quite different. The cause in Greene's case was the vascular condition shedding clots. I would say the cause is more important than the symptom. Of course the cause was still unknown in Greene's case as well when that was written and turned out to be quite serious, though correctable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

this is both true and not so true. The same symptom, but the etiology in Fulmer's case is unknown and is probably quite different. The cause in Greene's case was the vascular condition shedding clots. I would say the cause is more important than the symptom. Of course the cause was still unknown in Greene's case as well when that was written and turned out to be quite serious, though correctable.

I believe that Greene had two different injuries, each of which happened to involve numbness or tingling in his fingers. 

The may 2015 injury was ulnar neuritis and he had the same ring and pinky finger issue. 

The august 2015 issue was the pseudo aneurysm where the clot from his shoulder artery moved into his hand. In that case it was more his middle finger. 

23 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I see no advantage to having the Tigers play .400 versus .500 with the same group of players they have now.  

Probably 5-10 draft spots. 

39 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I believe that Greene had two different injuries, each of which happened to involve numbness or tingling in his fingers. 

The may 2015 injury was ulnar neuritis and he had the same ring and pinky finger issue. 

The august 2015 issue was the pseudo aneurysm where the clot from his shoulder artery moved into his hand. In that case it was more his middle finger. 

I won't argue with any conviction not having enough detail, but I would have to think that the diagnoses in May was probably superseded by what they found later. "Neuritis" is just a symptom description. 

I won't argue with any conviction not having enough detail, but I would have to think that the diagnoses in May was probably superseded by what they found later. "Neuritis" is just a symptom description. 

I don't want to argue it too strongly either, but when the August issue cropped up, they said it was unrelated to his earlier issue. Maybe they were wrong/lying.

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don't want to argue it too strongly either, but when the August issue cropped up, they said it was unrelated to his earlier issue. Maybe they were wrong/lying.

Actually I don't remember that, but that is not unusual.

Of course, I used to hang around a forum where the response to that kind of organization answer was "MRD". It's a longish story but it was short for "What would you expect them to say...." :o

But it sort of goes back to the point that Ulnar Neuritis is just a condition. I'm not sure how you can say something isn't related to it when you haven't made any specification of what caused it in the first place - but that's just my skepticism going overboard I suppose. It certainly could be unrelated in a pitcher.

Actually I don't remember that, but that is not unusual.

Of course, I used to hang around a forum where the response to that kind of organization answer was "MRD". It's a longish story but it was short for "What would you expect them to say...." :o

But it sort of goes back to the point that Ulnar Neuritis is just a condition. I'm not sure how you can say something isn't related to it when you haven't made any specification of what caused it in the first place - but that's just my skepticism going overboard I suppose. It certainly could be unrelated in a pitcher.

I think the explanation was that the May diagnosis of mild ulnar neuritis was because his ring and pinkie finger were tingling. It supposedly came out of nowhere. They did the MRI and found nothing concerning. I think he wasn't even expected to miss his next start. And he kept making starts for another month  

Then when he was in Toledo later in the season recovering from his oblique injury, he felt the numbness in his middle finger. This was more perisitent and he was diagnosed with the pseudo aneurysm in his hand from the issue with the artery in his shoulder. 

It's possible the shoulder thing was causing the neuritis, of course. 

This goes back to a conversation I remember having about Greene earlier this year comparing numbness to tingling. 

We have all hit our funny bone or slept weird on our arm and had a dead arm or tingling due to that. The coldness or numbness that Greene had appears to be a circulatory issue and not a nerve compression issue. But if the thing in the shoulder messing with the circulation is there, I suppose that thing could also be compressing the nerve. 

Yanks lost - Tigers 6.0 back of the 1st wildcard

KC lost- Tigers 5.0 back of the 2nd wildcard

Rays lost - Tigers 4.5 back

Mariners won - Tigers 3.5 back

None of the other 4 teams ahead of the Tigers in the wild card chase are more than 2.5 up on the Tigers.

On 8/3/2017 at 8:56 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

second time in this season Fulmer has had issues. Fulmer is at the high end of usage for a pitcher of his age/experience.  Fulmer and Zach Davis have thrown more pitches than all but  two pitchers as young, and the other two guys have another full year under their belts. (Severino and Bundy). 

Shoulda dealt him...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Probably 5-10 draft spots. 

True, but these are baseball draft picks.  It would be a bigger deal in football, basketball, or hockey, but I doubt you'd ever see anyone in baseball tank to move up the draft board.  

Well, if the Tigers are supposed to play to lose on purpose, shouldn't they make a little money on the side like the White Sox did in the 1919 World Series?  

13 hours ago, Scottwood said:

If Cabrera had a normal season, I think their Pythag record would already be .500

Yep