Brad Awesomeous

What is a reasonable goal for the rest of this season?

103 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

JaCoby's numbers not showing any movement at AAA and at 25 he doesn't have much time left to show. So far he's not really showing enough bat even for a utility role. Too bad, because he looked like he could really go get them in the field.

Yep. This has been a disappointing season for him, but not incredibly surprising. 

Still a chance to carve out a utility role, though. Once toledo's season is over, no harm in calling him up to ride the pine and get a few starts against lefties. 

Maybe send him to the fall league again. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yep. This has been a disappointing season for him, but not incredibly surprising. 

Still a chance to carve out a utility role, though. Once toledo's season is over, no harm in calling him up to ride the pine and get a few starts against lefties. 

Maybe send him to the fall league again. 

Funny thing is that if Jimenez can come up and show he is ready, and Mahtook ends up holding down CF, it would not be a total loss as a development year for the Tiger system. You'd like your system to produce 3 guys a year, but given the state the Tiger system has been in, even two would be huge. Sure we didn't draft Mahtook, but if Avila can make cheap minor league acquisitions who end up making it, I'll count that as useful as drafting well.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Funny thing is that if Jimenez can come up and show he is ready, and Mahtook ends up holding down CF, it would not be a total loss as a development year for the Tiger system. You'd like your system to produce 3 guys a year, but given the state the Tiger system has been in, even two would be huge. Sure we didn't draft Mahtook, but if Avila can make cheap minor league acquisitions who end up making it, I'll count that as useful as drafting well.

Could argue that a guy like saupold could be considered a success. Rondon was still a question mark heading into the year and still has a chance to solidify a role. 

Also nice to see Greene locking down a back end of the bullpen role. I expect him to be a good closer. It will be nice to be able to head into next season with a good closer. 

15 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Could argue that a guy like saupold could be considered a success. Rondon was still a question mark heading into the year and still has a chance to solidify a role. 

Also nice to see Greene locking down a back end of the bullpen role. I expect him to be a good closer. It will be nice to be able to head into next season with a good closer. 

I agree with your view on Greene.  He could turn out to be very effective as a closer for the next couple of years.  I suspect that he would be personally happy with that, too.

With Shane Greene ladies and gentlemen I'm thinking be playoffs!

I was going to say that the tricky thing about September call ups is that the 40 man is plugged full, but that is not true.  It looks like there are 38 players on it with Jones, Candelario, and Lugo the only position players.

Its standard ritual to bring up a 3rd catcher, probably Holaday.

I suppose they could jettison a P, like maybe Leon, if they want to add bring up more than one guy not currently on the 40 man.

27 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I was going to say that the tricky thing about September call ups is that the 40 man is plugged full, but that is not true.  It looks like there are 38 players on it with Jones, Candelario, and Lugo the only position players.

Its standard ritual to bring up a 3rd catcher, probably Holaday.

I suppose they could jettison a P, like maybe Leon, if they want to add bring up more than one guy not currently on the 40 man.

Also if someone gets a knick we can easily just ship them to the 60 man to free up a roster spot. 

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Also if someone gets a knick we can easily just ship them to the 60 man to free up a roster spot. 

True.  The only 2 on the DL now are Presley and Norris.  I think they are hoping for Norris to pitch, but I have not heard much about his progress (and I honestly forget what his boo boo is).  If Presley gets bumped from the 10 to the 60 or just gets released, its no big deal.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Let's see Stewart and Gerber in September.   Why not?    They really really need to look at young players the rest of the way, the opposite of the Red Wings way - let them play - don't react too quickly if they fail at first. 

The 40-man roster implications of these moves is being ignored here and really shouldn't be.

Stewart absolutely doesn't need to be added to the 40-man roster this winter, and adding him now would unnecessarily restrict the Tigers ability to manipulate their roster this winter.

Gerber is actually eligible for the Rule 5 draft this winter and his addition to the 40-man roster in November is likely, so adding him now doesn't pose the same unnecessary restrictions on the club's roster manipulation. That said, it's also not a lock that he's added to the 40-man roster, depending on which direction the Tigers decide to go with the overarching club dynamic this winter. If I had to guess, he'll be added, but it's no guarantee.

The Tigers 40 man roster is full of worthless trash, so I'm not too worried about dealing with it honestly

I doubt anyone would shed many tears if we were to lose some, or all, of the following this offseason:

Chad Bell, Daniel Stumpf, Drew Verhagen, Jim Adduci (sorry boys), Alex Presley, Buck Farmer, Blaine Hardy, Myles Jaye, Kyle Ryan, Sandy Baez (why is a 23 year old in high A on the 40 man), Arcenio Leon...

I mean with the 2 open spots, that's 13 spots. Obviously it would be foolish to get rid of all of those guys, as you need AAA depth, I'm sure they'll keep Jaye and Farmer around at least, and probably several of the others.

I don't know, I guess 40 man management doesn't seem too important to me when the team's AAA/MLB borderline talent is mostly garbage. I didn't even include JaCoby Jones on that list and he sucks big time too.

edit: I forgot Victor Alcantara who also sucks. So we're up to 14 or 15 spots.

The goals for the remai der of the season are:

Finish with 78 wins, three games below .500.

8 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

The Tigers 40 man roster is full of worthless trash, so I'm not too worried about dealing with it honestly

I doubt anyone would shed many tears if we were to lose some, or all, of the following this offseason:

Chad Bell, Daniel Stumpf, Drew Verhagen, Jim Adduci (sorry boys), Alex Presley, Buck Farmer, Blaine Hardy, Myles Jaye, Kyle Ryan, Sandy Baez (why is a 23 year old in high A on the 40 man), Arcenio Leon...

I mean with the 2 open spots, that's 13 spots. Obviously it would be foolish to get rid of all of those guys, as you need AAA depth, I'm sure they'll keep Jaye and Farmer around at least, and probably several of the others.

I don't know, I guess 40 man management doesn't seem too important to me when the team's AAA/MLB borderline talent is mostly garbage. I didn't even include JaCoby Jones on that list and he sucks big time too.

stewart sucks too tho so no reason to call him up.

8 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I agree there's a bunch of garbage on there right now. There are quite a few prospects the Tigers will want to consider adding to the 40-man roster this winter, they'll also sign some players this winter that will require spots, and they'll have to manipulate the roster next year to meet team needs as the season progresses. Adding Stewart now, well before it is necessary, and well before he's actually ready to face big league pitchers, means that's one less spot they can manipulate things with until he is actually ready.

Are the 40-man ramifications of adding Stewart (or Gerber) so severe that it should completely prevent the move from happening? No. But when neither player is actually ready and the team is in a bit of limbo in terms of long-term direction, that piece has to factor into the decision making on September call-ups.

3 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

I agree there's a bunch of garbage on there right now. There are quite a few prospects the Tigers will want to consider adding to the 40-man roster this winter, they'll also sign some players this winter that will require spots, and they'll have to manipulate the roster next year to meet team needs as the season progresses. Adding Stewart now, well before it is necessary, and well before he's actually ready to face big league pitchers, means that's one less spot they can manipulate things with until he is actually ready.

Are the 40-man ramifications of adding Stewart (or Gerber) so severe that it should completely prevent the move from happening? No. But when neither player is actually ready and the team is in a bit of limbo in terms of long-term direction, that piece has to factor into the decision making on September call-ups.

Yes, there is no reason to add a guy to a 40 man roster any earlier than necessary. A September call up is not a necessity. 

Given where he is in his development, I would think there is a pretty good chance he doesn't spend a day in the majors next year. But even if he does, they can wait until that time to add him to the roster. 

31 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

stewart sucks too tho so no reason to call him up.

If any of the guys I listed had #s anywhere in the stratosphere of Stewart, I wouldn't call them garbage :)

And you're right Micro, there is no need to add someone before they're needed, wasting a spot that could end up being important is foolish. I'm working under the assumption that Stewart will be in the big leagues next year, so it doesn't matter. It's of course very possible that the Tigers will be operating under a different plan than that.

It just seems to me, he's going to be 24, the team is lacking in talent, it's time to see what they have.

Some goals for the rest of the season...

Avoid Tommy John surgery for Michael Fulmer.

Get some at bats for Christin Stewart, Jeimer Candelario, Jacoby Jones, and Mike Gerber. 

Continue to see what we have with Mahtook. 

Convince Victor to retire. 

Get some innings for Joe Jimenez. 

Either get behind Bruce Rondon or get him out of there. One or the other, but commit to it.

See some sort of consistency out of Norris and Boyd.

Figure out if Zimmermann and Sanchez are serviceable going forward.

See if McCann's new approach is for real.

Don't kill Shane Greene.

26 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

If any of the guys I listed had #s anywhere in the stratosphere of Stewart, I wouldn't call them garbage :)

And you're right Micro, there is no need to add someone before they're needed, wasting a spot that could end up being important is foolish. I'm working under the assumption that Stewart will be in the big leagues next year, so it doesn't matter. It's of course very possible that the Tigers will be operating under a different plan than that.

It just seems to me, he's going to be 24, the team is lacking in talent, it's time to see what they have.

You only say that about Stewart because there's no relevant AA defensive numbers :classic:

Stewart will likely be on the 40 man next year, but those spots are still valuable in the off-season for waiver claims, or if we acquire a couple of prospects in trades, or to give a guy you want to take a shot on an MLB contract to get him to ST. I'd rather have an extra spot to take a flier on something like that vs. giving Stewart a couple dozen MLB ABs.

After Spring Training a lot of that works itself out and roster spots will pop open again at which point you can call him up as needed.

Personally, I think Stewart is a DH-type, so Candelario would be the guy I would give those at-bats to in the next couple months.

Just now, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Personally, I think Stewart is a DH-type, so Candelario would be the guy I would give those at-bats to in the next couple months.

So, he will have to outhit Castellanos.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

So, he will have to outhit Castellanos.  

Victor

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My goal is to eat as much ice cream as possible.

6 pack abs. Working towards that, I am eating a big bag of low fat potato chips

2 people like this

44 minutes ago, Walewander said:

Some goals for the rest of the season...

Avoid Tommy John surgery for Michael Fulmer.

Don't kill Shane Green.

top of my list

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

6 pack abs. Working towards that, I am eating a big bag of low fat potato chips

Make sure to eat the whole bag - it's easier to count the calories.

Jumping from AA to the Majors is a lot more common than it used to be.    I know it's more with pitchers but it sure seems like AAA is where the not-good-enough-for-the-majors guys are hoarded and the better prospects are at AA and High A.      Just thinking there isn't much of a reason to play a bunch of 30+ year old guys (Miggy and JV the exception) if you aren't really contending.      Just kind of stinks to see that the Tigers minor league system is such a wasteland for position prospects.     I guess this was going to happen when they made a bunch of trades to win the whole thing in 2011,12, 13.    But still, the Tigers are pretty horrible at developing position players.    I see you Travis Fryman.   

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

top of my list

Tigers have placed RHP Michael Fulmer on 10-day DL with right elbow ulnar neuritis.