Brad Awesomeous

What is a reasonable goal for the rest of this season?

103 posts in this topic

Okay, okay,  I'll be serious. 

Goal is to get a good look at some younger players.   Play Machado more.   Bring up Lugo and Candelario at some point and actually let them get at bats against teams still in the race.     See Mahtook play consistently well.    Get a really good look at Boyd and Jimenez and a couple of younger pitchers and Hope Norris heals, figures it out, finds it and pitches close to his potential 

My end of the season goal is for someone to have the stones to tell Victor Martinez it's been great, here's your 18 million dollars for next season,  enjoy your retirement. 

And that they tell Brad (and Geno and Lloyd and the whole staff) that it just didnt work.  

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay, okay,  I'll be serious. 

Goal is to get a good look at some younger players.   Play Machado more.   Bring up Lugo and Candelario at some point and actually let them get at bats against teams still in the race.     See Mahtook play consistently well.    Get a really good look at Boyd and Jimenez and a couple of younger pitchers and Hope Norris heals, figures it out, finds it and pitches close to his potential 

My end of the season goal is for someone to have the stones to tell Victor Martinez it's been great, here's your 18 million dollars 

And that they tell Brad (and Geno and Lloyd and the whole staff) that it just didnt work.  

Work out Nick at 1B? Could be a natural thing to do with Alex gone - though I guess they have another 1b in Hicks.

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

Work out Nick at 1B? Could be a natural thing to do with Alex gone - though I guess they have another 1b in Hicks.

I don't know, I think we need Nick to work on 1b once the season is over.     But if they don't have the guts to tell Victor it's over, it's kind of pointless to do it.   

If we can play .500 ball by the end of the season I would consider that a HUGE triumph at this stage of the year.  I am not sure it is reasonable to expect that, but that would be a huge plus in my book.

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Another goal:   Send Rondon home again - for good.      

I don't care if they keep Rondon, but STOP promoting him to roles he hasn't earned. Let him labor away from the back end until he he becomes a consistent pitcher or nor.

Not going to find anyone this winter to take on Victor's salary or JV's salary. Not a fan of paying a guy to play for another team either. Maybe offer a Bobby Bonilla deal for both.

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't care if they keep Rondon, but STOP promoting him to roles he hasn't earned. Let him labor away from the back end until he he becomes a consistent pitcher or nor.

The fact that he pouted and had a little tantrum in the KC game a week ago shows he hasn't learned a damn thing.  He's hopeless and I don't get the impression his teammates would be real shook up if he went away.     

9 minutes ago, Brad Awesomeous said:

Not going to find anyone this winter to take on Victor's salary or JV's salary. Not a fan of paying a guy to play for another team either. Maybe offer a Bobby Bonilla deal for both.

I would gladly have the Tigers pay Victor to play for another team.  

How does giving Justin Verlander a Bobby Bonilla deal help the Tigers?

1 hour ago, Brad Awesomeous said:

Welcome. JV was the best pitcher in the AL last year, and with a strong finish could be worth almost 3 WAR in 2017, just like 2015 and 2014. If he was a free agent he could probably get 2/40. He is probably overpaid at 2/56 over the next 2 years, but not that much. Buying him out makes no sense on any level.  

The correct answer to the question posed in the thread title is win all the games.

Two years ago, John Lackey got a 2/32 deal. I think JV does 2/40 at minimum. Even more if he finishes strong.

2nd wildcard as a reasonable, if highly unlikely, goal. Now 6.0 games back of it, held by KC (with Tampa also to worry about, soon to be 5.5 games ahead of the Tigers when they close out their win tonight).

adolf-hitler-009.jpg

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I would gladly have the Tigers pay Victor to play for another team.  

He's like taking too much iron - he just clogs everything up.     Love the guy, he was a great Tiger but it's over. 

6 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Climb that draft board baby

I doubt that happens.  Team pride will work against this goal.  That said, I can't wait to get off this plane and begin taunting Yankee fans.  This will be better than being on Nantucket when the Tigers took the home opener series against the Red Sox bastards.

2 people like this

Give Machado a bit more playing time at both middle infield spots.

Mahtook in CF and gathering up as many PAs as possible for further evaluation.

Call up Candelario in September give Castellanos a few games at 1B with Cabrera at DH.  So that means probably give Castellanos some pregame workouts at 1B starting very soon.  This probably also means pulling MartinezV aside and saying its time to give the IF another look and its going to affect his playing time for the rest of this season.

If Norris gets healthy by September, I'd go to a 6 man rotation to control the wear and tear a bit on the younger arms (Norris, Boyd, Fulmer).

I don't think Jones is more than a bench piece, but platoon him with Adduci in RF in September.  See what he has against LHPs.  If there is serious consideration to Stewart in LF next season, maybe Jones is the platoon partner / defensive replacement.  If Upton indeed leaves (I'm 50/50 that he does, but I hope he stays), I would like to see an OF of Stewart / Jones in LF, Mahtook as an OF starter, and a veteran on a short and cheap deal with a high enough floor that every day work isn't going to hurt the Tigers in CF or RF.

And whatever RP is on the 40 is called up.  No stone is left unturned in the bullpen.

I guess I look at the reasonable goal being evaluation and development from here on out.

Keep drinking the blue moon that the vendors now carry around.

Let's see Stewart and Gerber in September.   Why not?    They really really need to look at young players the rest of the way, the opposite of the Red Wings way - let them play - don't react too quickly if they fail at first.  

Mikie Mahtook is a great athlete.   Great to see it click for him.   He plays well in Center but I can see him developing 20-25 HR power at some point and that makes him a corner OF.     .  

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Let's see Stewart and Gerber in September.   Why not?    They really really need to look at young players the rest of the way, the opposite of the Red Wings way - let them play - don't react too quickly if they fail at first.  

Mikie Mahtook is a great athlete.   Great to see it click for him.   He plays well in Center but I can see him developing 20-25 HR power at some point and that makes him a corner OF.     .  

With neither of Stewart and gerber called up to AAA yet, I don't see the point of calling either of them up in September. It's more important to maximize playing time for mahtook and JaCoby, and maybe even castellanos in the OF if we are going to call up Jeimer, which we should. 

1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

With neither of Stewart and gerber called up to AAA yet, I don't see the point of calling either of them up in September. It's more important to maximize playing time for mahtook and JaCoby, and maybe even castellanos in the OF if we are going to call up Jeimer, which we should. 

JaCoby's numbers not showing any movement at AAA and at 25 he doesn't have much time left to show. So far he's not really showing enough bat even for a utility role. Too bad, because he looked like he could really go get them in the field.