Shelton

Project the 2018 Tigers

62 posts in this topic

Nick get's a lot of deserved static for his defensive shortcomings...I'm more concerned by the backslide his offense has taken this year than his defense.  His bat has to carry him...losing about 75 pts off his OPS is an issue.  I can live a bit easier with a statue in LF if it carries an .850 or so OPS.  Have no use for a statue that provides a sub 800 OPS

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

Putting Nick in RF would be a complete clownshow, but hey--if Nero can enjoy watching Rome burn then we should be able to watch Nick butcher the daylights out of RF.  

Obviously the more rational move is to use a trade to turn his value as a hitter in to a player that would be a better fit. I think the only reason that might not be the end result would be if Upton walks and they can't find a way to come up with 2 corners OF so they decide to try Nick again. The optimum course is Upton stays, they find a RF, they trade Nick (possibly in the deal for a RF) - Candelario becomes the new 3b - but as has been covered, that hinges on what Upton does.

1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

Cheap option:

C: McCann/Hicks

1B: Cabrera

2B: Kinsler

3B: Castellanos

SS: Machado (Iglesias traded for savings)

LF: Upton

CF: Mahtook

RF: Jones/Candelario/Stewart

DH: Martinez

Bench: Romine, one of the above listed RFs, whoever isn't starting of McCann/Hicks, Minor League Infielder

SP: Verlander, Fulmer, Norris, Boyd, Zimmermann

RP: Greene, Jimenez, Rondon, A. Wilson, Saupold, two minor leaguers/low cost free agents

I'll go 70-75 wins for this

I like this option better, but it doesn't slash cost enough IMO.

C:  McCann/Hicks or Holaday

1B Cabrera or Nick

2B Jones 

SS Machado

3B Candelario/Nick

LF  Stewart/Gerber

CF  Mahtook

RF  Pressley/Gerber/Deuce

DH  Nick/Cabrera/Stewart

Bench:  Ficociello, Gerber or Deuce, Pressley, Hicks

SP: Fulmer, JZ, Sanchez, Boyd, Norris/Farmer/Jaye

BP:  Greene, Norris or Stumpf, Jimenez, A. Wilson, Garcia or Labourt, Saupold.

Let's get on with it.   This is assuming we can't trade Nick for an acceptable return, Upton opts out for a non-rebuilding situation and that both Zimmerman and Cabrera's contracts are unmovable.  Get a return for Verlander, ask Victor to stay at home, trade Kinsler and Iglesias.  We don't need to pay a utility guy the $1.5+ Romine will get next year.  Maybe even see what the market is for Norris, although I like the idea of him as a shut-down lefty out of the pen.

Stock up with some OF talent in trades, and eat money if you have to.  Give AB and MLB roles to some of the new guys to see what we have.  Who cares about the record next year, just fill up the system with talent and run the team like you are in a small market--at least for a season or two.  Paying a lot of money to older and players that will not improve just tread water makes no sense.  If AA can put a half-dozen to eight players into the organization's top 25 then we're really getting somewhere.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think the only reason that might not be the end result would be if Upton walks and they can't find a way to come up with 2 corners OF so they decide to try Nick again.

Stewart, Gerber, Deuce and Pressley are not glamour names but they sure sound a lot better and cheaper than hoping Upton stays or watching Nick flail around in the OF.

10 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

1B Cabrera or Nick

2B Jones 

SS Machado

3B Candelario/Nick

LF  Stewart/Gerber

CF  Mahtook

DH  Nick/Cabrera/Stewart

who would pay money to watch that hot mess? awful

7 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Stewart, Gerber, Deuce and Pressley are not glamour names but they sure sound a lot better and cheaper than hoping Upton stays or watching Nick flail around in the OF.

Yes, even if none of the lower level guys make it - and remember we started a couple years ago with Fields, Collins and Moya as the AAA outfield with the great confidence at least one would make it - none did. But we could probably survive a rebuilding year with Presely, Aducci Jones and and Romine in one corner. Sadly, I don't think the return on trading Nick is going to be much to be excited about unless he starts turning that hard hit ball # into more safeties the rest of the way.

32 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

who would pay money to watch that hot mess? awful

The gate will be bad for two or three years for sure. 

6 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

just waiting on Victor to go at some point early (better) or late in 2018

Why wouldn't they just keep Candelario in AAA?  It seems that it'd be best to keep Castellanos and Candelario playing full time.

Honestly, I think it's a much more likely scenario that MartinezV retires or is retired than Castellanos is on the pine.

9 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

1B Cabrera or Nick

2B Jones 

SS Machado

3B Candelario/Nick

LF  Stewart/Gerber

CF  Mahtook

DH  Nick/Cabrera/Stewart

Let's get on with it.   This is assuming we can't trade Nick for an acceptable return, Upton opts out for a non-rebuilding situation and that both Zimmerman and Cabrera's contracts are unmovable.  Get a return for Verlander, ask Victor to stay at home, trade Kinsler and Iglesias.  We don't need to pay a utility guy the $1.5+ Romine will get next year.  Maybe even see what the market is for Norris, although I like the idea of him as a shut-down lefty out of the pen.

Stock up with some OF talent in trades, and eat money if you have to.  Give AB and MLB roles to some of the new guys to see what we have.  Who cares about the record next year, just fill up the system with talent and run the team like you are in a small market--at least for a season or two.  Paying a lot of money to older and players that will not improve just tread water makes no sense.  If AA can put a half-dozen to eight players into the organization's top 25 then we're really getting somewhere.

I don't really disagree that if they're not going to spend they might as well ditch everyone, I'm just trying to be realistic with what I think the team will actually do. I would prefer that if the team is going to suck they just go all in with sucking and get some young guys experience, but it's hard for me to believe they'd actually ditch relatively cheap veterans who let them pretend they're contending.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I don't really disagree that if they're not going to spend they might as well ditch everyone, I'm just trying to be realistic with what I think the team will actually do. I would prefer that if the team is going to suck they just go all in with sucking and get some young guys experience, but it's hard for me to believe they'd actually ditch relatively cheap veterans who let them pretend they're contending.

QFT. 

The more that Upton hits, the more likely it is that he walks.  The more I look at that free agent OF list, the more it looks like Adduci might have a legitimate shot at sticking around for next season.  And as much as I think its likely to be a failed experiment (again), it makes trying Castellanos out in the OF again a bit more reasonable.

Outfielders
Dustin Ackley
Nori Aoki
Jose Bautista *
Carlos Beltran
Michael Brantley *
Jay Bruce
Melky Cabrera
Lorenzo Cain
Josh Collmenter
Carl Crawford
Coco Crisp
Rajai Davis
Jarrod Dyson
Andre Ethier *
Craig Gentry
Carlos Gomez
Carlos Gonzalez
Curtis Granderson
Franklin Gutierrez
Matt Holliday
Austin Jackson
Jon Jay
Desmond Jennings
Hyun-Soo Kim
J.D. Martinez
Cameron Maybin
Andrew McCutchen *
Daniel Nava
Colby Rasmus
Ben Revere
Michael Saunders *
Seth Smith
Ichiro Suzuki
Justin Upton *
Melvin Upton
Jayson Werth
Chris B. Young

He can't hit for anything, and Mahtook in CF might work out anyway, but I think it'd be fun to see Dyson running around in CF for a season.  Just to have some speed out there, along with another speedy OF in Mahtook.  If the Tigers do go the FA route for an OF, it'd likely be something cheap like that.

1. Deuce

2. Deuce

3. Deuce

4. Deuce

5. Deuce

6. Deuce

7. Deuce

8. Deuce

9. Romine