1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

I doubt that Avila capitalizes on his 2017 season.  He's approaching the flip side for catchers (age 31-32 is typically when catchers take a tumble offensively) and Avila already hasn't been much of a hitter for a long time other than a nice 1st half in 2017.

I'd like to have Avila back just because he's a good catcher and probably will be OK with the bat.  That's a decent commodity for any team, but I would be surprised if he secured more than 1 or 2 year deal for more than $2-3M/year.

Pretty much this.

I can see a club with a young C that is ready for more than a platoon role signing Avila as a backup/mentor C.  Or as a backup on a team that's ready now.  Those are probably the roles best suited for him now.  I can't imagine him being a starter anymore.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Also I don't see the Tigers winning 70 games next year.  They'll be terrible,  and that is part of the plan.

They could easily lose 100+ games, yes.  But if they have resurgences from some of their slumping guys (Miggy, Zimm, Norris) and/or emergence from Boyd, Candy, Jiminez, and so on, any three of these six potential positive outcomes could be worth 5-10 wins beyond the baseline.

18 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I could see something like this.  All things being equal, the Tigers are looking like a 65-70 win team, possibly approaching 75 wins if Cabrera, Zimm, and/or Norris come back and do at least OK.

You're undervaluing the Bosio effect.

19 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I doubt that Avila capitalizes on his 2017 season.  He's approaching the flip side for catchers (age 31-32 is typically when catchers take a tumble offensively) and Avila already hasn't been much of a hitter for a long time other than a nice 1st half in 2017.

I'd like to have Avila back just because he's a good catcher and probably will be OK with the bat.  That's a decent commodity for any team, but I would be surprised if he secured more than 1 or 2 year deal for more than $2-3M/year.

If they sign Avila, has a team ever traded a player at the deadline two years in a row? 

My immediate thought is I would think any number of good teams could use Alex Avila as a back-up catcher, but haven't looked at rosters so maybe there aren't better options for him out there. 

20 minutes ago, Yoda said:

If they sign Avila, has a team ever traded a player at the deadline two years in a row? 

Not sure, but I would guess that if they did sign him, we won’t see the tigers achieve that feat. 

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Prediction, we have the #1 farm system by the end of the 2018 season.

Not even close to San Diego and they're extremely young.