Shelton

Project the 2018 Tigers

487 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

If our current group forms into a playoff caliber team without the addition of any other free agents or trades then fantastic, but that does not seem like a reasonable expectation to me.

just let it flow bb. this isn't a science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

just let it flow bb. this isn't a science.

I dig... I guess it's really my way of saying I like a homegrown team, but I like a homegrown team that wins even better.   And if we have to spend some more money to win I hope we do that.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very few contenders are built entirely on home grown talent and I don't expect the Tigers to be any different.   Three or four years from now our system could look entirely different and we could be the ones buying impact players at the deadline or in the offseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's tough to assume too much for next season.

Cabrera, Candelario, and Castellanos are back in the middle of the batting order.  McCann is the starting catcher.  Mahtook is in the outfield.  Machado is in the middle infield somewhere.  Hicks is probably the backup catcher.  I think those are the only position players that are really locks for the roster.

Kinsler and Iglesias will likely be shopped.  I'm sure the Tigers hope Martinez retires.  Romine and Presley could be nontendered.  Jones needs to work on his offense in Toledo.  I think if any minor leaguers were serious considerations for next season they would be with the club right now (Gerber, Greiner, Stewart, Lugo, etc).

Zimmermann is the staff ace.  Boyd and Norris are probably back.  Saupold has probably earned another season.  Jimenez will be in the organization.  Sanchez will be dumped.  Greene and Wilson are likely back but probably shopped around just to see if there is a return available.  Farmer is probably back as a swing guy.  Hardy is cheap and left handed, so he's probably back.  Pitching staffs are so fluid anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope we don't sell low on Kinsler.  Very affordable option and isn't blocking anyone (really don't want Iglesias and his statistical doppelgänger, Machado, in the same lineup).

Ian is a likely bounce back candidate, plus a good leader on a young team.  Make the call at the trade deadline.  We will need some offense at 2B, given our in-house options to play LF and DH.

if you must trade an infielder, please make it Iglesias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I really hope we don't sell low on Kinsler.  Very affordable option and isn't blocking anyone (really don't want Iglesias and his statistical doppelgänger, Machado, in the same lineup).

Ian is a likely bounce back candidate, plus a good leader on a young team.  Make the call at the trade deadline.  We will need some offense at 2B, given our in-house options to play LF and DH.

if you must trade an infielder, please make it Iglesias.

Its a full rebuild. Future value must be the sole focus of all decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Its a full rebuild. Future value must be the sole focus of all decisions.

I agree....once they traded JV there is basically no reason to keep any other veteran player IMHO other than to plug a hole while the intended replacement works his way up to the bigs.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Its a full rebuild. Future value must be the sole focus of all decisions.

 

4 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I agree....once they traded JV there is basically no reason to keep any other veteran player IMHO other than to plug a hole while the intended replacement works his way up to the bigs.

so, we all agree?  good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Well, I guess this means he's available to replace Ausmus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now