5 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

If our current group forms into a playoff caliber team without the addition of any other free agents or trades then fantastic, but that does not seem like a reasonable expectation to me.

just let it flow bb. this isn't a science.

2 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

just let it flow bb. this isn't a science.

I dig... I guess it's really my way of saying I like a homegrown team, but I like a homegrown team that wins even better.   And if we have to spend some more money to win I hope we do that.

• Like 1

Very few contenders are built entirely on home grown talent and I don't expect the Tigers to be any different.   Three or four years from now our system could look entirely different and we could be the ones buying impact players at the deadline or in the offseason. 

It's tough to assume too much for next season.

Cabrera, Candelario, and Castellanos are back in the middle of the batting order.  McCann is the starting catcher.  Mahtook is in the outfield.  Machado is in the middle infield somewhere.  Hicks is probably the backup catcher.  I think those are the only position players that are really locks for the roster.

Kinsler and Iglesias will likely be shopped.  I'm sure the Tigers hope Martinez retires.  Romine and Presley could be nontendered.  Jones needs to work on his offense in Toledo.  I think if any minor leaguers were serious considerations for next season they would be with the club right now (Gerber, Greiner, Stewart, Lugo, etc).

Zimmermann is the staff ace.  Boyd and Norris are probably back.  Saupold has probably earned another season.  Jimenez will be in the organization.  Sanchez will be dumped.  Greene and Wilson are likely back but probably shopped around just to see if there is a return available.  Farmer is probably back as a swing guy.  Hardy is cheap and left handed, so he's probably back.  Pitching staffs are so fluid anymore.

I really hope we don't sell low on Kinsler.  Very affordable option and isn't blocking anyone (really don't want Iglesias and his statistical doppelgänger, Machado, in the same lineup).

Ian is a likely bounce back candidate, plus a good leader on a young team.  Make the call at the trade deadline.  We will need some offense at 2B, given our in-house options to play LF and DH.

if you must trade an infielder, please make it Iglesias.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I really hope we don't sell low on Kinsler.  Very affordable option and isn't blocking anyone (really don't want Iglesias and his statistical doppelgänger, Machado, in the same lineup).

Ian is a likely bounce back candidate, plus a good leader on a young team.  Make the call at the trade deadline.  We will need some offense at 2B, given our in-house options to play LF and DH.

if you must trade an infielder, please make it Iglesias.

Its a full rebuild. Future value must be the sole focus of all decisions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

I agree....once they traded JV there is basically no reason to keep any other veteran player IMHO other than to plug a hole while the intended replacement works his way up to the bigs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

4 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I agree....once they traded JV there is basically no reason to keep any other veteran player IMHO other than to plug a hole while the intended replacement works his way up to the bigs.

so, we all agree?  good.

to the surprise of no one, Ausmus said Miggy will DH much more next year, somewhat confirming that Victor is gone (again to the surprise of no one)

But it’s an issue the Tigers will have to keep an eye on as Cabrera continues to age. He is signed for $184 million through 2023. Next season, he will likely receive much more time at designated hitter, in order to keep him off his feet.

“Not only do I think that would benefit but I think it’s going to happen,” Ausmus said.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/09/24/detroit-tigers-miguel-cabrera/698415001/

C- McCann

1B- Navarro

2B- Machado

SS- Iglesias

3B- Candelario

LF- Presley

CF- Mahtook

RF- Castellanos

DH- Cabrera

Holaday, Romine, Jones, Hicks round out the bench.

Fulmer, Zimmermann, Boyd, Norris, Farmer

Saupold, Hardy, Jimenez, VerHagen, Stumpf, Wilson, Greene

Somebody will take Kinsler. Bring back Iglesias and ship him off at the deadline.

They'll need a first base/DH option. A 5th starter. And another bullpen arm somewhere.

It's going to be a long 2018 season. 

Should the tigers use their newfound payroll flexibility to sign vet relievers or starters to front-loaded one year deals where they can build value and be traded? Do guys like that exist?

36 minutes ago, kdog said:

Should the tigers use their newfound payroll flexibility to sign vet relievers or starters to front-loaded one year deals where they can build value and be traded? Do guys like that exist?

They still have to field a team. I imagine they will sign a free agent or two on one year deals where they might be able to have a nice first half and then traded. If not well then they are only here for a year. 

Think guys like Rasmus, Stephen Drew, Fister, Tillman, Axford. 

6 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

They still have to field a team. I imagine they will sign a free agent or two on one year deals where they might be able to have a nice first half and then traded. If not well then they are only here for a year. 

Think guys like Rasmus, Stephen Drew, Fister, Tillman, Axford. 

there will be 20-30 back end of the rotation free agents available this winter. 5 or so will have a good 2018. you have to be smart enough/lucky enough to ID just 1 of those guys.

Fister has actually righted his ship and may be too $$.

Miley, Buchholz, Anderson are worth a flyer.

And sign Drew Smyly for 2019.

Just now, RatkoVarda said:

there will be 20-30 back end of the rotation free agents available this winter. 5 or so will have a good 2018. you have to be smart enough/lucky enough to ID just 1 of those guys.

Fister has actually righted his ship and may be too $$.

Miley, Buchholz, Anderson are worth a flyer.

And sign Drew Smyly for 2019.

I didn't mean those guys specifically (maybe the positions). I just wanted to highlight a few guys people might know that fit the mold of old/injured and flawed you might see. 

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Somebody will take Kinsler. Bring back Iglesias and ship him off at the deadline.

They'll need a first base/DH option. A 5th starter. And another bullpen arm somewhere.

It's going to be a long 2018 season. 

In Heyman's latest notes, he listed Angels and Rays among the teams that could pursue Ian in the offseason.

No way is Navarro the starting 1B, even in an #operationtank scenario.  

I think the Tigers will find a Logan Morrison/Chris Carter-type on a one-year deal via free agency.   I'd also like to see them try out Christen Stewart there--if he really can't play the OF, can he learn 1B?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I think the Tigers will find a Logan Morrison/Chris Carter-type on a one-year deal via free agency.   I'd also like to see them try out Christen Stewart there--if he really can't play the OF, can he learn 1B?

I think even Hicks would be ahead of Navarro.

Yeah, I think they should let hicks play first right now. Carry holaday as the backup C. Whatever. It doesn’t matter. If there is a cheap 1B with potential to be traded, give it a shot, but there is value in seeing whether hicks can be decent. 

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I completely agree.  Surprised the Tigers haven't looked at this.  I think his bat will play there.