Motor City Sonics

Where will JV be playing this September?

Justin Verlander's team on September 1st.    27 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Justin Verlander be playing this September?

• Boston Red Sox
    • Chicago Cubs
    • Detroit Tigers
    • Houston Astros
    • Los Angeles Dodgers
    • New York Yankees
    • Washington Nationals

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, VaBengal said:

Help me understand something about the potential trade of Verlander. I'm assuming a primary reason for moving him is that we do not want to pay the rest of his contract in its entirety. Based on what we've heard, I would think that's maybe the main reason we would move him, even though we want to get a nice haul of prospects, too.

But if we REALLY don't want to pay the whole contract, then at some point, isn't it better to pay ANY amount short of the entire thing if it results in a trade that brings good talent back? I get that AA is negotiating and posturing at this point, saying we'd only pay the rest of JV's salary this year. But I mean if it takes us paying $30M+ of what is left, we are still saving more than half of what we owe him. How is that a bad thing?

I guess it's important to remember that any trade made is a trade of contracts, rather than a trade a players. So any amount of money that is retained changes the contract that is being traded. 

Lets say Avila eats 30 million in a Verlander trade. That means he is owed about 36 million over the next 2.3 seasons. 

The comparison made between sides of a package for either team is to compare 2.3 years of Verlander for 36 against, for example, two top 100 prospects and a flier. 

If you are the Tigers, and you don't have Verlander, which side do you want? You can pick either package off a table. Based on where the Tigers are right now and expected to be in 2018 and 2019, you would likely choose the prospects over Verlander at 2.3/36, even though that is a pretty good looking contract. 

What would a team like the dodgers rather have, assuming that they don't have the prospects in their system yet? They probably would rather have Verlander. 

It's a sliding scale. At what level of remaining contract would the Tigers rather take JV, or at what level would the dodgers rather take the prospects?

that question changes depending on the package of prospects. 

There is a deal to be made here. But any deal is going to have to include enough prospects that the Tigers would not just keep Verlander. If the Tigers were presented with JV for 2.3/66 or nothing, they would take JV 10 times out of 10. 

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

yes, Montreal!  Bring back the Expos and I will forgive them for whatever stupid playoff structure they come up with.  

What is Tampa's current lease?  Are they greasing the wheels in Montreal to take on the Rays?

10 minutes ago, Casimir said:

What is Tampa's current lease?  Are they greasing the wheels in Montreal to take on the Rays?

They're stuck in St. Pete for another 8 years or so as I recall. Wish they could be in a better situation. 

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

I think its another 10 

2027 is correct.